• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Later round RB query

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm pondering the idea of taking a gamble on Melvin Gordon in my drafts around the 4th round if he's there (I think its worth the risk) and plan on grabbing his handcuff (Eckler) some time later like round 8 or 9. But say I miss out on the handcuff, what are some good RB options in those rounds that could fill in for Gordon while he's out? Say rounds 9 or later. And I'm not talking about guys that might win the job some time this season, I'm talking guys that will likely see good sized roles that you could insert into your lineup right at the start of the season.

Right now I'm thinking Derius Guice (though may swap for AP if Guice still isn't healthy), Kalen Ballage who I think is gonna win the job for the Fins, and I'm keeping an eye on Matt Brieda. He was the Niners best back last year and I don't buy that Tevin Coleman is going to beat him out. Any others? I'm a little wary of the Philly backs since its too much of a committee though the same could be said for the Niners. Anyone that I'm missing?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2019-8-16_22-23-46.png

A draft we just finished off today. Last few rounds right here in this forum. As you can see Gordon didn't make it to the 4th round. You can check out who was available in the rounds your talking about.:suds:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you might of noticed Guice went in round 6. AP on the other hand went round 12 and he'll most likely be the starter at the beginning of the season.
On the bright side Ballage and Brieda are available in the rounds you speak of.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin jackson = Gordon's cuff
Eckeler role stays the same

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Eric Williams expects the Chargers to use Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson in a "50-50 split" during Melvin Gordon's holdout.
That's not what we saw in the Chargers' preseason opener. The first-team offense played 16 snaps that night, and Ekeler was on the field for 12 of them, while Jackson saw four reps. Ekeler also received 2-of-3 touches inside the 10-yard line. Williams notes it's been more 50-50 in practices this summer. We'd venture to guess it will be closer to 65-35 in favor of Ekeler, who is just a more well-rounded player. He can function on early downs and excels in the pass game as both a receiver and in blitz-pickup. Ekeler is the back to own among the two, and his ADP reflects that.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin jackson = Gordon's cuff
Eckeler role stays the same
I'd say neither are the cuff, it'll be a true split. Eckeler will expand a bit, Jackson will have expand a lot, both will have stand alone value, neither is "the guy" to have sans Gordon.

But what you said is worlds more accurate than "Ekeler is the cuff"

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy that Tevin Coleman is going to beat him out. Any others? .... Anyone that I'm missing?
Disagree on Coleman. He was used by Shanahan when he was the OC in Atlanta. Now they're together again in SF. I'd rethink the Breida role.

As for others? Atlanta did virtually nothing to add depth to the RB position. For that reason, I feel Freeman is being undervalued. Ito also who might be going largely undrafted. He's a low risk option late.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shady and Singletary might be alright.

I don't know why anyone would draft Guice in a redraft. Take AP.

I think there will be a few RB changing uniforms soon too. The Eagles, for example, have too many bodies, some teams have not enough.

How about Ty Montgomery and Bilal Powell?

I also like Breida. Shanahan made two RB work in Atlanta. Don't see why he can't give Breida and Coleman both flex value.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm pondering the idea of taking a gamble on Melvin Gordon in my drafts around the 4th round if he's there (I think its worth the risk) and plan on grabbing his handcuff (Eckler) some time later like round 8 or 9. But say I miss out on the handcuff, what are some good RB options in those rounds that could fill in for Gordon while he's out? Say rounds 9 or later. And I'm not talking about guys that might win the job some time this season, I'm talking guys that will likely see good sized roles that you could insert into your lineup right at the start of the season.

Right now I'm thinking Derius Guice (though may swap for AP if Guice still isn't healthy), Kalen Ballage who I think is gonna win the job for the Fins, and I'm keeping an eye on Matt Brieda. He was the Niners best back last year and I don't buy that Tevin Coleman is going to beat him out. Any others? I'm a little wary of the Philly backs since its too much of a committee though the same could be said for the Niners. Anyone that I'm missing?

If you are getting Gordon in the 4th (don’t think he lasts that long in most leagues) then the risk is low enough that even if you can’t find a quality replacement it won’t be crippling.

That said, I really am not high on AP or Guice unless 1 of them or Chris Thompson gets injured.

I think there will be a messy 3 way split in Washington and Gruden has a history of underutilizing his 1st and 2nd down backs in the redzone. I just don’t think there is enough weekly upside for me to ever want to put either guy in my lineup.

Also, if you do get Gordon, I would suggest reaching a little for Ekeler. Ekeler has enough of a role to be a low end FLEX play with Gordon active. As long as Gordon’s status remains unresolved, Ekeler (and Jackson) will continue to rise in predraft rankings.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shady and Singletary might be alright.

I don't know why anyone would draft Guice in a redraft. Take AP.

I think there will be a few RB changing uniforms soon too. The Eagles, for example, have too many bodies, some teams have not enough.

How about Ty Montgomery and Bilal Powell?

I also like Breida. Shanahan made two RB work in Atlanta. Don't see why he can't give Breida and Coleman both flex value.

Yeah.

McKinnon being put helps clarify that backfield a lot.