• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Last Game Talk

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I didn't think Orpik's hit was dirty, I surely expected some sort of retaliation for that hit. If someone took out Sid like that I would hope my Pens retaliate. Can't let your captain/superstar go down like that without some sense of payback.

Part of what Eddie said though, is you gotta know who you are fighting. He said he coached Orpik his first year in pittsburg, and he was a heavy man and selective hitter, but he would never drop his gloves. That was his reputation at least.

Yeah, I dont know if Eddie meant that buff or eager would have taken a run at orpik or if the retribution he would have expected was hitting crosby.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toews out for rest of regular season:

Jonathan Toews (upper body) won't play again during the regular season.
Coach Joel Quenneville said that Toews is expected to be "100 percent" for the playoffs. The Chicago captain was injured on a hard hit from Pittsburgh's Brooks Orpik on Sunday. Cut him loose if you are in a one-year league. Toews had 28 goals and 68 points in 76 games. Apr 2 - 1:45 PM
Source: Chicago Blackhawks on Twitter

Hawks recall Nordstrom:

Joakim Nordstrom has been recalled by Chicago.
He joined the Blackhawks for practice on Wednesday. Nordstrom has 17 goals and 33 points in 58 games with Rockford of the AHL this season. He has also appeared in 10 matches with Chicago. Apr 2 - 1:16 PM
Source: Mark Lazerus on Twitter

I really liked what Nordstrom did when he was up early. Put him on the PK and centered a line with very little experience.

Q really has no choice but to play these kids now. Before it was a luxury, the complaint was, when we need them they will be expected to be ready. Now we have two kids, three if you count Ben Smith an old zeus and krueger, gotta figure Zeus will go to the top line. Sure hope they look for offense, we could use Morin in the lineup to get pucks to the net, its just sharp and hossa for the other teams to be concerned about.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of what Eddie said though, is you gotta know who you are fighting. He said he coached Orpik his first year in pittsburg, and he was a heavy man and selective hitter, but he would never drop his gloves. That was his reputation at least.

Yeah, I dont know if Eddie meant that buff or eager would have taken a run at orpik or if the retribution he would have expected was hitting crosby.

The big question for me would be whether or not you think it was a legal hit. If it wasn't, and the refs miss it, then by all means retaliate on the ice. If it WAS legal, suck it up and be more alert next time. I'm absolutely sick of players/teams thinking they need to retaliate against good, clean hits. It's pathetic and has a detrimental effect on the game.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point. On the other hand, it's likely to cause them to lose any shot at home ice in Round 1.

True, home ice is big against the Avs. That high altitude used to be a big difference maker back in late 1990s & early 2000s. You really need to roll with 4 lines to win a series where 4 of the 7 games are to be played in that high altitude. Fortunately for the Hawks, if there's one thing they're known for it's their incredible depth.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big question for me would be whether or not you think it was a legal hit. If it wasn't, and the refs miss it, then by all means retaliate on the ice. If it WAS legal, suck it up and be more alert next time. I'm absolutely sick of players/teams thinking they need to retaliate against good, clean hits. It's pathetic and has a detrimental effect on the game.

You ask if Orpik knew where the puck was? not in Toews posession.
You ask if Orpik could have avoided the contact, yes, he changed levels to deliver the most damage.
Did he launch himself off the ice? yes.
Hossa was looking down when Torres wiped him out, that was in the middle of the ice, this was into the boards.

I dont think anyone would classify Orpik as a good clean hitter.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgIgat2GBRI]Brooks Orpik big hit on Jonathan Toews - Blackhawks vs Penguins 03/30/14 - YouTube[/ame]

2 goals 11 assists in 68 games. his job is to hit people. This is the achilles heel of the hawks, you pound them as much as you want, knock the stars out and win games.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ask if Orpik knew where the puck was? not in Toews posession.
You ask if Orpik could have avoided the contact, yes, he changed levels to deliver the most damage.
Did he launch himself off the ice? yes.
Hossa was looking down when Torres wiped him out, that was in the middle of the ice, this was into the boards.

I dont think anyone would classify Orpik as a good clean hitter.

2 goals 11 assists in 68 games. his job is to hit people. This is the achilles heel of the hawks, you pound them as much as you want, knock the stars out and win games.

Just to be clear, I wasn't arguing whether it was or wasn't a clean hit, just that the response should depend on the answer to that question.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, home ice is big against the Avs. That high altitude used to be a big difference maker back in late 1990s & early 2000s. You really need to roll with 4 lines to win a series where 4 of the 7 games are to be played in that high altitude. Fortunately for the Hawks, if there's one thing they're known for it's their incredible depth.

Very true, Doob. Well said.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear, I wasn't arguing whether it was or wasn't a clean hit, just that the response should depend on the answer to that question.

wasnt trying to get in an argument either.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former ref Kerry Fraser on the Orpik-Toews hit:

Fraser: Breaking down Orpik's hit on Toews

The comments are pretty brutal. They were letting Pittsburg get away with alot that game, but the only reason they get away with alot is there are no headcases on the hawks willing to "finish their checks" on skill players.

You look at it both ways, hawks wont hit our skill guys, we shouldnt hit their skill guys. Thats when the best hockey is played. If brookbank, bollig or shaw want to run at orpik, or any other big d man bruiser that hits back, thats how a physical game is played. Just seems more often than not the hawks are not attempting to hit skill players thinking that protects our skill guys.

doesnt seem to be working. I would not have wanted anyone to take a cheap shot at Crosby, thats not what I am saying, but someone more than hossa should have been in orpiks face. at least hoss showed some stones.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, Doob. Well said.

Thanks dude! I feel really bad about what happened to Toews. Orpik is a klutz, really wish we didn't have him anymore on the Pens. I would take a lot of our AHLers over him to tell you the truth.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty interesting game yesterday, puck was bouncing all over the place. Wild are a tough team and fighting for their playoff lives, so I would say getting 2 points against them at this juncture of the season is something the Blackhawks should be happy about, whether it be in regulation, overtime, or a shootout.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was a pretty amazing redirect on that goal that tied the game, let the puck pass thru hammers legs, then deflect the puck from behind him and make it knuckle.

Morin had a strong game, nice steal, got the puck on net for the assist on the bickel goal.

Thought Teuvo would have played though, between Hossa and Sharp. Maybe they didnt want to put him in the position to replace Toews first game?

shoot out win, wow, such an oddity.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was a pretty amazing redirect on that goal that tied the game, let the puck pass thru hammers legs, then deflect the puck from behind him and make it knuckle.

Morin had a strong game, nice steal, got the puck on net for the assist on the bickel goal.

Thought Teuvo would have played though, between Hossa and Sharp. Maybe they didnt want to put him in the position to replace Toews first game?

shoot out win, wow, such an oddity.

True, was it you that commented on the Hawks shootout woes earlier this season? I forget who it was, but I know someone mentioned it. Anyways, 2 points is 2 points, not a ROW, but keeps the Hawks on pace with the Avs.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks have officially clinched no worse than third in the Central Division. With the Avs winning last night (after tying with about a minute left), they are three points ahead of the Hawks with a game in hand.

Doubtful Hawks can overtake them with only five games remaining. Time to start resting the rest of the veterans and playing Raanta more (like every other game starting tonight).

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really not concerned with home ice, hawks and avs are both combined 14 home losses. colorado actually more regular losses at home and with no shootouts in the playoffs its not that big of a deal. I think either rink the series will be 1-1 leaving the home ice and I doubt it goes to 7 games.

Yeah, gotta play raanta. He did better as a starter, but he needs some confidence if he is gonna be needed if Crow gets hurt.

We will see what the lines are like tonite, didnt like hossa and shaw at all. Kinda think Zeus will be with Hossa tonite, unless they unleash Teuvo.

It was hard to pick the three stars yesterday, should be sharp and hossa stepping up.

on a side note, I noticed Seabs was wearing an A, but nobody was wearing the C yesterday. Dont they need an acting captain or are all alternates considered the same?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for comparison,

Blackhawks: 101 points (.656 pct), 5 games remaining
Avalanche: 104 points (.684 pct), 5 games remaining

Blackhawks' remaining schedule (points & point percentage in parenthesis),
@ Blue Jackets (85 points, .559 pct)
vs Blues (111 points, .730 pct)
vs Canadiens (93 points, .604 pct)
@ Capitals (81 points, .533 pct)
@ Predators (77 points, .507 pct)

Avalanche's remaining schedule (points & point percentage in parenthesis),
@ Blues (111 points, .730 pct)
vs Penguins (103 points, .669 pct)
@ Oilers (61 points, .396 pct)
@ Canucks (79 points, .513 pct)
@ Sharks (107 points, .686 pct)
@ Ducks (108 points, .711 pct)

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive victory by the Hawks. Wasn't pretty but they showed to be clutch yet again.