• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Larry Legend talks 1 on 1 with MJ, if he was the best shooter on the Pacers & more

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Bird on 1-on-1 vs. Michael Jordan: 'He'd kill me'

Larry Bird on 1-on-1 vs. Michael Jordan: 'He'd kill me'
Matthew Glenesk, [email protected]7:25 a.m. EDT July 28, 2015
Bird also looks back at his high school career
98TWEETLINKEDIN 2COMMENTEMAILMORE
Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird joined "The Dan Patrick Show" Monday morning to promote the team's special "Hoosiers"-themed Hickory jerseys.

The show's producer Paul Pabst wore the Hickory jersey (supposedly the same George Hill modeled) during the telecast.

And while Patrick and Bird talked about "Hoosiers" and Indiana's love affair with the classic underdog story, the conversation between the two friends provided a number of great moments for listeners of the syndicated radio and TV show.

Among them, could Larry Bird beat Michael Jordan in 1-on-1, currently at their advanced age?

Bird: God, I hate to admit this, but he'd kill me. (laughs)

Patrick: I don't know if I honestly believe that.

Bird: Dan, I'm 40 pounds more than I was when I played, I'm broken down. I really don't care like I used to. I have a fight in me, but it's not the fight I once had. But it would be a pretty close game. (laughs)

That question stemmed from a point earlier in the discussion in which Patrick mentioned that Jordan said he could beat anyone on the current Charlotte roster. Patrick asked Bird if there was ever a moment since he was either a coach or executive where he felt he could beat one of his players.

Patrick: Was there ever a point when you were coaching that you were better than somebody on your roster?

Bird: Back when I was 40? Nah, I don't know about that.

Patrick: What about shooting?

Bird: Oh yeah. When it came to shooting, ain't no problem.

Patrick: OK, was there a point where you were coaching, where you were the best shooter on the team?

Bird: No, Reggie was here. Chris Mullin was here. Sam Perkins. We had some pretty good shooters.

Earlier in the interview, Patrick asked Bird when he first thought he'd be just fine in the NBA.

Bird: Well, when I was in the summer, I was at rookie/free-agent camp in Boston and they had some veterans there. ... And they played a couple days with us, and I know it's just summer, I know it's not in the games, I remember one day walking out going, "I know I'm not going to have any problem in this league." That's the first time I really felt that. Growing up from a small high school, went to a mid-major, there's always doubt. People always told me, "Wait 'til you get to the pros," this and that. It didn't take long for me to feel I can play in this league.

More from Bird's conversation with Patrick:

Patrick: Explain that whole "Hoosiers" phenomenon in Indiana. How small was your high school?

Bird: Oh, I don't know. We were one of the smallest in the state. What it is, back in the day, back when I played, they didn't have class basketball, now they do. So the dream was to always be good enough to play against the big schools. That's what we tried to do. Try to be good enough to have the opportunity to play a Crispus Attucks or a Jeffersonville or New Albany, but unfortunately I played with a kid that kept missing free throws at the end of the game, and we didn't get there.

Patrick: Was there a Hack-A-Shaq thing (a strategy to hinder scoring by opponents by continuously committing fouls against one of its opposing players, usually the one with the weakest free-throw percentage) going on with your team back then?

Bird: Well, with my point guard, he got a little nervous, and they knew it, so they started fouling him. We just didn't make it.

Patrick: You're not over it, are you?

Bird: Never! A loss is a loss, a big loss. But hey, you know what's funny, I was at a party about two years ago, it wasn't a party, but a cookout, and this lady in her 70s , she looked at my friend and said, "What are you doing here?" "Well, I'm coming to the cookout." And she was like, "After missing them free throws back in '74 you shouldn't show your face." Yeah it's been 35 years and I understand that. … It happened, Dan.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bird is one of the best interviews out there. Never heard a bad interview with him, especially on the DP show.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bird is one of the best interviews out there. Never heard a bad interview with him, especially on the DP show.
yeah, larry was always good for a sound bite.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I love him more now after all the leaked info on his past trash talk.

That shit he said to Dominique is hilarious!

If only Twitter was around in the 80's and 90's:pound:

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I love him more now after all the leaked info on his past trash talk.

That shit he said to Dominique is hilarious!

If only Twitter was around in the 80's and 90's:pound:
best trash talker there ever was

this is a top 5 bird moment

literally "who wants to bet i can win this thing in my warm ups"?

larry was seen driving a brand new car, not from the contest, a week later

finger in the air, total cockiness...because he didnt just think he was the best, he was.

vNmgYud.gif

best part of this is, larrys high in 3's in a game?

i think 7 attempts. he wasnt a 3 pt shooter in real games, just the 3 pt shootout.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I happened across a show "Larry Bird's 50 greatest moments" the other night. Holy shit, I used to watch a fair amount of Celts games back then and I didn't remember what a late game assassin he was. Everybody knows he made a some great clutch shots, but when you watch the show it is clear that he made a shit load of crazy game winning shots.

His trash talking and on court arrogance was legendary as well. For example, he is killing the Utah Jazz and after making a ridiculous shot in front the Jazz bench he turns to Coach Layden and says; " Frank, don't you have anybody on your team that can guard me?" Coach Layden looks down his bench and turns back to Larry and says; "nope".

Great show if you have a chance to watch it.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I happened across a show "Larry Bird's 50 greatest moments" the other night. Holy shit, I used to watch a fair amount of Celts games back then and I didn't remember what a late game assassin he was. Everybody knows he made a some great clutch shots, but when you watch the show it is clear that he made a shit load of crazy game winning shots.

His trash talking and on court arrogance was legendary as well. For example, he is killing the Utah Jazz and after making a ridiculous shot in front the Jazz bench he turns to Coach Layden and says; " Frank, don't you have anybody on your team that can guard me?" Coach Layden looks down his bench and turns back to Larry and says; "nope".

Great show if you have a chance to watch it.

Frank Layden was one of the greatest sports personalities of all time, fwiw.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i think 7 attempts. he wasnt a 3 pt shooter in real games, just the 3 pt shootout.

Not sure that is the best part. It is like people in the 80's didn't understand simple math back then. Larry should have been shooting way more 3's back then...they were just too stupid to realize it.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was Professional "Horse" league, Bird would be the GOAT.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

finger in the air, total cockiness...because he didnt just think he was the best, he was.

vNmgYud.gif

Was that the same one when he walked into the locker room and said "Which one of y'all are finishing 2nd?"

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the one and only.

That's probably my favorite Bird quote. Walks in to a room with some of the greatest shooters in the league, drops that line and then wins without taking off his warm ups. Trash talk and backing it up, doesn't get much better than that.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's probably my favorite Bird quote. Walks in to a room with some of the greatest shooters in the league, drops that line and then wins without taking off his warm ups. Trash talk and backing it up, doesn't get much better than that.
the finger up as it leaves his hand

we'll never see another larry. i admittedly do not count the celtics titles as "ive seen". i wasnt a hoops fan til about age 14...89/90 or so. my fondest memories of bird are him laying on the court for his back massages, and his face slamming off the parquet vs indianna.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to see the Birdman overweight and limping. He shouldn't have played that last year (or even two).

Damn that was some good basketball, wasn't it?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

vNmgYud.gif

Didn't he walk into the lockerroom and ask " Who's coming in 2nd?"...lol

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

vNmgYud.gif

Bird was a stone-cold in-your-face killer. He berated you before, during and forever after.

On mobile now but will post some favorite stories when I get home.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved when Bird and Magic were on Letterman. These guys were clearly from a different era, even though it wasn't that long ago. Back then before free agency, you had guys like Magic signing a 25 year contract with the Lakers. Bird played for Boston. That's just the way it was.

Bird on Letterman...

"My whole life, at every level they said I wouldn't make it.

Started getting attention in junion high but the coach said high school basketball in Indiana weeds out guys like you. So when I got to high school, I dominated.

In high school Bobby Knight started showing interest but they said when I got to college, things'd be different that I wouldn't make it. So I dominated there too.

Then I got drafted by Boston and the veterans and "experts" said I couldn't physically compete. So guess what? I dominated them too. Everywhere I went, everything I did. I dominated."

Love it. :clap: