• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Brooks deal w-SF expected soon; 5 yrs/35M range

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What makes you so sure Kaep is ready to start??

Bottom line: Where he was selected!

Nowadays, for the most part, when a quarterback is drafted anywhere within the first round, it usually means that not only does that qb posses some unique skills, but also it's an indicator that he would eventually start and play at some point during his rookie year.

In contrast, when a qb is chosen anywhere within the second one, it usually means that like his peers that were taken in the first round, he too possess the same unique skills, BUT, is unable to contribute immediately. It's an indicator that that player needs some refinement and/or time to develop and learn. That's usually the difference between a qb that was selected in the first round in comparison to one that is chosen in the second round. Which is one is ready contribute faster than the other with similar physical skills.

Thus the reason why teams didn't draft Kaep in the first was because he couldn't contribute "right away". If Kaep entered the draft this year with a year under his belt, do you think he'd go in the first round ahead of Tannehill? If your answer is yes, than Kaep by my logic is ready to start NOW!

I think there was a reason why Harbaugh wanted Andy Dalton last year. He couldn't get him so he got the next best thing in Kaep. Kaep is ready and I believe in Harbaugh in evaluating QBs. You don't invest such a high pick on a qb to say that he'd be ready in 4 years.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could make love to you because of that post Bingo.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nowadays, for the most part, when a quarterback is drafted anywhere within the first round, it usually means that not only does that qb posses some unique skills, but also it's an indicator that he would eventually start and play at some point during his rookie year.

In contrast, when a qb is chosen anywhere within the second one, it usually means that like his peers that were taken in the first round, he too possess the same unique skills, BUT, is unable to contribute immediately. It's an indicator that that player needs some refinement and/or time to develop and learn. That's usually the difference between a qb that was selected in the first round in comparison to one that is chosen in the second round. Which is one is ready contribute faster than the other with similar physical skills.

Thus the reason why teams didn't draft Kaep in the first was because he couldn't contribute "right away". If Kaep entered the draft this year with a year under his belt, do you think he'd go in the first round ahead of Tannehill? If your answer is yes, than Kaep by my logic is ready to start NOW!

I think there was a reason why Harbaugh wanted Andy Dalton last year. He couldn't get him so he got the next best thing in Kaep. Kaep is ready and I believe in Harbaugh in evaluating QBs. You don't invest such a high pick on a qb to say that he'd be ready in 4 years.

This is another reason why I don't think Smith's contract would be in the 10mil range per year, because Baalke and Harbaugh know that they don't need him this season. If Smith and Tom Condon try for that the 49ers would just say screw it and go with Kaep, Tolzien and whoever they add as the 3rd or 4th QBs for camp.

I just don't understand why Harbaugh keeps saying that Smith's his guy and its his job if he comes back... I guess he's just trying to make Smith feel welcome.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'm still not sold on this. Harbaugh doesn't seem like the type of guy to take a QB just to take him. I think he wanted Kaepernick all along, and told Baalke to go get him. Baalke, in his own right, has shown a tendency to move up for a player immediately after or very shortly after another player at that same position has been taken. In 2010, he jumped up to get Anthony Davis shortly after Okung went. And last year he jumped up to get Kaepernick right after Dalton and Kilgore two spots after Vandervelde.

I don't think it's an indication Baalke missed out on the guy he wanted and went for the next best thing. His offseason doesn't reflect that sort of knee-jerk reaction. I think it's because he has his guy and doesn't want to risk losing him. As soon as he thinks there's a serious risk of losing the guy he wants, he makes a move. I really think Kaepernick is the guy we wanted from the beginning.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brooks' deal counts $2.85 million against 2012 cap

Outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks will count $2.85 million against the 49ers' salary cap this year after signing a six-year, $37 million contract extension this week, a league source told CSNBayArea.com.

The 49ers would have an estimated $23 million of cap space available if, as expected, the 2012 NFL salary cap remains close to last year's $120.375 million figure.

Brooks' deal, which 49ers chief negotiator Paraag Marathe worked out with agent Greg Williams, includes $17.5 million in guarantees, including a $7.5 million signing bonus.

Williams told the San Jose Mercury News this week that the contract is worth $44.5 million. That figure is believed to be the maximum if Brooks attains every escalator and incentive.

Brooks' future cap figures are $6.65 million in 2013, $7.5 million in 2014, 8.35 million in 2015, $6.35 million in 2016, and $5.3 million in 2017. Those amounts include roster bonuses in which Brooks receives approximately $50,000 for every game he is active in the regular season, a source said.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I really think Kaepernick is the guy we wanted from the beginning.

I would guess the same. In retrospect, when you look at all the things he said about the position after he was hired......it all pointed to Kap. He seems to put a big priority on athleticism and mobility, how he always said the QB should be the type of guy that is great at every sport.....it was almost as if he was talking about Kap.

I don't know if he's ready or not - nobody does, everyone here is guessing. I would love it if he was, because he has tools that are interesting.....but I think people have to remember that now we're a team that's competing, not some young and up-and-comer. I don't think many people want to go in with a question mark at QB. Even if he outplays his competition in camp, its going to be hard to hand him the reins, because there is nothing that can prepare someone for full-speed NFL.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess the same. In retrospect, when you look at all the things he said about the position after he was hired......it all pointed to Kap. He seems to put a big priority on athleticism and mobility, how he always said the QB should be the type of guy that is great at every sport.....it was almost as if he was talking about Kap.

I don't know if he's ready or not - nobody does, everyone here is guessing. I would love it if he was, because he has tools that are interesting.....but I think people have to remember that now we're a team that's competing, not some young and up-and-comer. I don't think many people want to go in with a question mark at QB. Even if he outplays his competition in camp, its going to be hard to hand him the reins, because there is nothing that can prepare someone for full-speed NFL.

Correct. Which is why I thought he'd also be a big fan of Locker. Remember, Locker was also offered a contract by the Angels to play Baseball.

Prior to the draft I thought the two QBs he liked best were Locker and Kaepernick.