• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Brooks deal w-SF expected soon; 5 yrs/35M range

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calamity, you sure hold a grudge. I hate to be on your bad side.

lol, and i'm such a laid back nice guy. I try not to, but it's a combination of everything. Niner nation waited 10 yrs for a return to the playoffs. 14 Years about since an actual NFC title game.

Prior to the season, the most common sensed fan would say nearly impossible to make it to the SB, new HC in the Pros, Alex @ QB, struggling offense, maybe a tired defense, shortened season, tough schedule.... yet we're playing in OT in the title game lol....

In a game where i expected the offense to betray us and disappoint, it really didn't do so, other than failing the 3rd down rate and WR production, the offense only hindered but did not cause the loss. The defense, vs another uppier tier offense in the playoffs did nothing but overpowered and beat the crap out the nyg on good starting field position.

One guy fucks it up 2x to lead to 2 scores. One idiot... grrrrrrrrrrr :music:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calamity, you sure hold a grudge. I hate to be on your bad side.

when it comes to sports, i most definitely hold a grudge.... Farve, packers, Bucs, cowboys, Nolan, Erickson, Falcons, Aneas Williams(cb that knock Young)..... Patrick Roy, NYR, AZ Dbacks, Texas Rangers, Sox, Schilling, Kobe, Duncan,.... list can go on....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Depends on the final numbers, but I like this. The cupboard at OLB is pretty bare this year, and I like Brooks. He's a very good all-around OLB, if not great in any one area. He seemed to turn a corner last year, and hopefully continues to improve.

Re: Haralson, I definitely think we keep him. He's pricey-ish for a backup, but we've only got three guys on the roster right now. While Aldon should be moving into a starting role, it would be nice to give him a breather from time to time. And we were remarkably healthy last year. You've got to assume a player at every position will miss a game or two.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming this takes OLB out of the equation at 30.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This signing is reminiscent of the Sopoaga and McDonald signings. Brooks was a monster in the playoffs and probably peak in the next two years despite being 28 given his transition to OLB. Have no problem with this move but surprised on the contract length. Kind of came out of nowhere.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have to remember that with the new CBA limiting rookie contracts veteran players are gonna end up with more money.

That has to be taken in consideration when evaluating these contracts.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 years 44.5 mil only 17 mill guaranteed. nice bulke real nice

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
People have to remember that with the new CBA limiting rookie contracts veteran players are gonna end up with more money.

good point clyde

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was having a thought and this seemed like the best place to address it: how do people feel about letting Goldson walk and trying to re-sign Reggie Smith instead? I'm not sure how I feel about this, frankly, but Goldson is likely to get franchised this year and then leave. I'd feel somewhat better if we could lock up a longterm guy. I'm far from certain Smith is that guy, but I've always felt he had more ability than we've seen to date. Curious what people think.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was having a thought and this seemed like the best place to address it: how do people feel about letting Goldson walk and trying to re-sign Reggie Smith instead? I'm not sure how I feel about this, frankly, but Goldson is likely to get franchised this year and then leave. I'd feel somewhat better if we could lock up a longterm guy. I'm far from certain Smith is that guy, but I've always felt he had more ability than we've seen to date. Curious what people think.

After seeing how good the defense was last year, I don't want to mess with it.
I want Goldson and Carlos both back. The starting front 7 is back.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point, I didn't even think about that.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see how this contract is structured. When i first heard that it was for 44.5 mil i thought we way over paid for him. It will be interesting to see the details when they come out. Hopefully it's a back loaded deal.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Obviously how the contract is structured plays a huge role in evaluating it, but to have only 17.5 guaranteed over 6 years suggests good things.

Maniax, it's far from 7M base per year. The average base salary per year on this deal, based on the reported guaranteed money is 4.5M (27M over 6 years). I think it's safe to assume that the year 1 base salary will less than that - likely in the 1.5 to 2M range.

I also think it's safe to assume that it's not a 17.5M signing bonus. The signing bonus is probably about half of that with the other half being various roster bonuses and other guarantees that kick in for year 2, 3 and/or 4.

Deep, I find it odd that you say we have to consider the long term impact of this contract on the cap to truly evaluate when you still talk about how horrible the Nate Clements contract was based on the reported 80M number.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, that 44.5 is what the deal tops out. There are probably a lot of incentives tied into it. Both team (Super Bowl) and individual (10+sacks for example).