• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Brooks deal w-SF expected soon; 5 yrs/35M range

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
good stuff! not surprising the cost looks high now, but it should temper down in about two years as contracts rise. it keeps a piece of the team chemistry intact.

this likely slows Aldon from starting but thats ok, let them use combinations again with Haralson. this also ensures better 'depth' at OLB.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's up there though. I hope we sign Carlos next...and come out with a clever of an excuse to tell Alex Smith: "Sorry bro, we ran out of money" so that Kaepernick can get the starting position next season.

+1 on Carlos, need his experience and perhaps "hunger" even more(guy was so close to the SB for the first time, along with everyone else on the team).

With Dashon tagged or to be tagged, & Brooks close to deal, that leaves Alex and Carlos as the big names of our UFA, damn.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good stuff! not surprising the cost looks high now, but it should temper down in about two years as contracts rise. it keeps a piece of the team chemistry intact.

this likely slows Aldon from starting but thats ok, let them use combinations again with Haralson. this also ensures better 'depth' at OLB.

I don't think it slows Aldon at all... it will be Aldon and Brooks starting.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brooks is inked. 6 years $44.5 million. $7M base per year.

I think the front office must have thought Brooks would be the most difficult to replace, and picking #30 means you probably have not shot in the draft at replacing him with another slam dunk 3-4 OLB.

I still think we need to draft two 3-4 OLBs. I want two because I want them to push Haralson. Haralson has 1 year left and probably won't be back since we have big money now put into All-Done and Brooks.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think the front office must have thought Brooks would be the most difficult to replace, and picking #30 means you probably have not shot in the draft at replacing him with another slam dunk 3-4 OLB.

I still think we need to draft two 3-4 OLBs. I want two because I want them to push Haralson. Haralson has 1 year left and probably won't be back since we have big money now put into All-Done and Brooks.

+1
That..! and the fact that Brooks is not a slouch of an OLB in our scheme. The guy came a long way to becoming a very good starter in the league. He's not great or elite, but he's a solid player nonetheless. The guy put a hit on Andy Dalton this year and I thought he killed him. He along with Ray Mac, and Sopoago didn't get any credit for the way they played agains the Giants in the championship game. Justin Smith stole the show but Brooks and company played well too.

PS - Phuck Kyle Williams

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i would think so too. wasn't the most adamant on re-signing Brooks (Sickness?), but did feel he's overall game is hard to replace. we MAY have ended up rotating two guys for the same production?

IF value arises at OLB fine with me, but hard to see us drafting two? its nice to push Haralson, but we should shore up weaker spots before "pushing" a starter?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well that's about $20 million more than I would have expected, if I had thought he was staying in the 1st place. Of course the money will probably end up smaller but its a huge number. Does he project as a full-time player going forward? Obviously Aldon has one side locked up, and I would have figured Haralson would take the bulk of the time on other side. This kind of salary has to pencil him in as a starter.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's up there though. I hope we sign Carlos next...and come out with a clever of an excuse to tell Alex Smith: "Sorry bro, we ran out of money" so that Kaepernick can get the starting position next season.

What makes you so sure Kaep is ready to start??

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thats a lot of money for him. Really glad we are keeping him because with recent reports I thought he was going to leave. He is a nice player, but is he worth a little more then 7 a year? I would've been comfortable with 5mil a year.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1
That..! and the fact that Brooks is not a slouch of an OLB in our scheme. The guy came a long way to becoming a very good starter in the league. He's not great or elite, but he's a solid player nonetheless. The guy put a hit on Andy Dalton this year and I thought he killed him. He along with Ray Mac, and Sopoago didn't get any credit for the way they played agains the Giants in the championship game. Justin Smith stole the show but Brooks and company played well too.

PS - Phuck Kyle Williams

Bold pt 1. The whole front 7 was killing the giants IMHO. Ray, playing hurt I think cause he was hurting vs the Saints, picked it up and couldn't be stopped up through the middle. Sops had a great year at NT, better than we've seen in a long time. (Brooks was pushing hard but wasn't finishing IMO but that's fine cause there were other niners who were finishing)

Bold pt 2. Justin rightfully stole the show. PERIOD!

Bold pt 3. FUCK THAT FUCKING Prick.....

yeah, i'm not a forgiving guy apparently LOL

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke has already stated Aldon Smith is going to be an every down player next season.

No this is not automatically 7mill base per year. That isn't how contracts work.
We don't know what his signing bonus is and we don't know how many years it is spread out. We have no idea what his base is each season. All we know is years, full amount (Which he most likely won't see), and 17.5 guaranteed. That doesn't mean he's getting 7.4 against the cap every season. Roster bonuses? Workout bonuses? Performance bonuses? All things that can be fluff numbers that the player will never see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean Haralson is getting cut at some point?

Some of the beat reporters are wondering that. I've asked MM what he would generate in dead money. I see one site listing him with $300K signing bonus left for two more years. If that is right we'd have $600K dead against the cap. Other than a draft pick what free agent out there is going to be as good for less?

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bold pt 1. The whole front 7 was killing the giants IMHO. Ray, playing hurt I think cause he was hurting vs the Saints, picked it up and couldn't be stopped up through the middle. Sops had a great year at NT, better than we've seen in a long time. (Brooks was pushing hard but wasn't finishing IMO but that's fine cause there were other niners who were finishing)

Bold pt 2. Justin rightfully stole the show. PERIOD!

Bold pt 3. FUCK THAT FUCKING Prick.....

yeah, i'm not a forgiving guy apparently LOL

Calamity, you sure hold a grudge. I hate to be on your bad side.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the beat reporters are wondering that. I've asked MM what he would generate in dead money. I see one site listing him with $300K signing bonus left for two more years. If that is right we'd have $600K dead against the cap. Other than a draft pick what free agent out there is going to be as good for less?

I wonder if he has any trade value. I'm honestly unaware of the market for OLBs who can play the run but are average at best while rushing the passer. 3 mil per year seems like a lot for his skillset.

I saw a website that gives him a 500k hit to the salary cap over the next two years because of his signing bonus, so 1 mil in dead money according to them..

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder if he has any trade value. I'm honestly unaware of the market for OLBs who can play the run but are average at best while rushing the passer. 3 mil per year seems like a lot for his skillset.

I saw a website that gives him a 500k hit to the salary cap over the next two years because of his signing bonus, so 1 mil in dead money according to them..

Maybe swing a trade with a team hurting at PR like the Pats? Better to get at least something if we can.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ouch. So by the time you sign another free agent you were better off probably sticking with Haralson.