• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe shocking the world

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't claim to know the first thing about Kobe's injury, but my question would have to be, if healing time doesn't make any difference, then why/ how could the Bulls defend or justify Rosé not playing?

What does Rose's injury have to do with Kobe's? Two different people. Two different injuries. Two different mindsets. I never said healing time doesn't make a difference anyway.

As far as Kobe full strength. Come on.
Does any Laker fan really think that he will ever be as productive as he was last season again?

So what difference does it make then to take a full season off if he will never be as productive as he was last season? If the achilles is as strong as it will be say early this season, no sense in sitting out a whole season.

So, lets play best case scenario and say Kobe can play at whatever level he can play all season.
Even with that the projection , with your roster, and comparing it to the other rosters in the West, how do you get to be higher then an 8-9 seed?

By winning more games than those other teams. It certainly will depend on the health of Gasol, Nash, and Kobe, but I think this group is certainly capable of a low playoff seed. These guys can still play. The bench and role players have been upgraded. The team is full of players that want to run D'Antoni's offense and are thrilled to wear the purple and gold.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't claim to know the first thing about Kobe's injury, but my question would have to be, if healing time doesn't make any difference, then why/ how could the Bulls defend or justify Rosé not playing?

With Rose it was "mental"!! For whatever reason, he wasn't mentally ready to come back!! Kobe has not only always come back as quickly as possible, but usually earlier than expected!! He's ahead of schedule, as usual!! As for the Bulls defending/justifying Rose not coming back, you'd have to ask them!!

As far as Kobe full strength. Come on.
Does any Laker fan really think that he will ever be as productive as he was last season again?

We'll know when he comes back!! He said there was some kind of "new procedure" used, so I suppose we'll see how well it works!! Maybe it's like Tommy John surgery. That injury used to be a career ender and now, with that surgery, many pitchers actually come back better!!

Will this happen with Kobe? Who knows? Given his age and what we know of that kind of injury, probably not!! On the other hand, if this new procedure works, then maybe!!

So, lets play best case scenario and say Kobe can play at whatever level he can play all season.
Even with that the projection , with your roster, and comparing it to the other rosters in the West, how do you get to be higher then an 8-9 seed?

First of all, because of all of the injuries, last season was a debacle for the Lakers, but they still won 47 games!! Pau says he expects to be better physically than he was last year and is ready to play at a high level. If Kobe comes back at close to full strength, he should be fine and hopefully Nash can stay healthy!! They did get younger and more athletic at several spots and have lots of guys on 1 year deals (always a great motivator)!!

If D'Antoni's offense clicks for these guys, they play hard, Kobe, Pau and Nash can stay healthy and the young guys they signed play well, they could possibly win 50 games!! Where that will place them in the West.....who knows?

If D'Antoni's offense doesn't click and/or Kobe, Nash and Pau can't stay healthy, then they are probably looking at the lottery!!

Lots of "if's" but either way, I think they'll be fun to watch!!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, because of all of the injuries, last season was a debacle for the Lakers, but they still won 47 games!! Pau says he expects to be better physically than he was last year and is ready to play at a high level. If Kobe comes back at close to full strength, he should be fine and hopefully Nash can stay healthy!! They did get younger and more athletic at several spots and have lots of guys on 1 year deals (always a great motivator)!!

If D'Antoni's offense clicks for these guys, they play hard, Kobe, Pau and Nash can stay healthy and the young guys they signed play well, they could possibly win 50 games!! Where that will place them in the West.....who knows?

If D'Antoni's offense doesn't click and/or Kobe, Nash and Pau can't stay healthy, then they are probably looking at the lottery!!

Lots of "if's" but either way, I think they'll be fun to watch!!

This response is for both you and LR since your posts are similar.

This has nothing to do with liking, disliking, rooting for or rooting against the Lakers.
Lets just have the conversation based on the merit of reality and common sense.

So, lets not assume best case scenario or worst case with injuries. Lets go with law of averages.

Roster. You lost Howard, World Hate, Jamison and Clark. Anyone else?
Now, name any player you added who you would prefer over the player they are replacing.

D'Antonis system. Run up and down and play no defense.

Is that really a good thing when your best 3 players are : Old and coming off surgery. A 40 year old PG, and a 7 footer who is slow by any NBA standard?

Competition. You are straight faced going to tell me you can make a case for the Lakers to have a better record after 82 games then : The Cliippers, Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Grizzlies, Nuggets, or Thunder?

Realistically, your not as good as Dallas ( which would put you outside looking in).

IMO, you are pretty much on par with the Pelicans and T Wolves.

Fun to watch? All NBA teams are comprised of professional athletes. The game in general is fun to watch.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Kobe doing roids? That could explain his very fast recovery time.

Hmmmmm.....

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This response is for both you and LR since your posts are similar.

This has nothing to do with liking, disliking, rooting for or rooting against the Lakers.
Lets just have the conversation based on the merit of reality and common sense.

:agree:and my response was not based on that!!

So, lets not assume best case scenario or worst case with injuries. Lets go with law of averages.

Now, name any player you added who you would prefer over the player they are replacing.

I like Young over Metta and Jamison. I like Farmar and possibly Wesley Johnson in D'Antoni's offense and as for Howard. He wasn't happy in L.A. and particularly in D'Antoni's offense!! In D'Antoni's offense I like a healthy Pau over Howard!! Obviously, he is not anywhere close to the defensive player that Howard is, but he is light years ahead of him on offense, passing and free throw shooting!!

I liked Clark, my only question with him would be whether or not he could continue to improve on last season!!

That's why they brought in Rambis!! He will be D'Antoni's "Defensive Coordinator" like he was for Phil!!

Is that really a good thing when your best 3 players are : Old and coming off surgery. A 40 year old PG, and a 7 footer who is slow by any NBA standard?

The thing you don't seem to understand about D'Antoni's offense is that it doesn't have to be the "7 seconds or less" offense from the Phoenix days!! It is more about player and ball movement than anything else!! That's why it didn't work in New York with 'Melo. 'Melo is a ball stopper and that doesn't work in D'Antoni's offense.

Competition. You are straight faced going to tell me you can make a case for the Lakers to have a better record after 82 games then : The Cliippers, Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Grizzlies, Nuggets, or Thunder?

If they are healthy all season, I could see them being there with a couple of those teams. It all depends on how the new players fit in and how quickly they adapt to D'Antoni's system!! As I said, there are a lot of "if's" with this team!! If most of those "if's" go the Lakers way, they will surprise and can win 50 games!! If they don't, they will be in the lottery!!

Realistically, your not as good as Dallas ( which would put you outside looking in).

IMO, you are pretty much on par with the Pelicans and T Wolves.

You're wrong on this and just showing the dislike you said to leave out!!

Fun to watch? All NBA teams are comprised of professional athletes. The game in general is fun to watch.

Seriously?!? Some teams are more fun to watch than others!! D'Antoni's Suns were more fun to watch than the Spurs or the Lakers "triangle" teams and the Thunder, Warriors and Heat are more fun too watch than the Spurs, Grizzlies or Pacers!!

I agree that virtually all NBA teams are fun to watch, but some are more fun than others!!

My assessment of the Lakers is that it will go one of 2 ways!! Everything will click and they will better than many expect or things will not click and they will be in then lottery!! With the cap space that they will have after next season, I'm good with either outcome!!

Last edited by a moderator:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously?!? Some teams are more fun to watch than others!! D'Antoni's Suns were more fun to watch than the Spurs or the Lakers "triangle" teams and the Thunder, Warriors and Heat are more fun too watch than the Spurs, Grizzlies or Pacers!!

I agree that virtually all NBA teams are fun to watch, but some are more fun than others!!

My assessment of the Lakers is that it will go one of 2 ways!! Everything will click and they will better than many expect or things will not click and they will be in then lottery!! With the cap space that they will have after next season, I'm good with either outcome!!

Like I said, I wasn't going best case or worst case, I was going with averages which means there will be good and bad.

The Lakers schedule starts off a little salty. I think you are playing catchup from the outset, just like last year.

As far as you accusing me of not being honest in my evaluation with Dallas, New Orleans, and Minnesota.., you are wrong. THAT is truly what I believe. If I am that far off, bookmark this for seasons end and throw it in my face.

Look at this though:

Odds to win the 2013-14 Western ConferenceTeamOddsOklahoma City Thunder7/4San Antonio Spurs3/1Houston Rockets11/2Los Angeles Clippers11/2Memphis Grizzlies11/1Golden State Warriors13/1Denver Nuggets13/1Dallas Mavericks18/1Los Angeles Lakers45/1Minnesota Timberwolves45/1New Orleans Pelicans45/1Utah Jazz45/1Portland Blazers45/1Sacramento Kings45/1Phoenix Suns 125/1

It's pretty much how I see things and I didnt say I felt you were as bad as or equal to Utah, Portland or Sacramento even though the 'experts' give them the same chance of winning the WC as your team.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmmmmm.....

Even if Kobe did roid, he'd still have a faster recovery time than all the other roiders in the league.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, I wasn't going best case or worst case, I was going with averages which means there will be good and bad.

The Lakers schedule starts off a little salty. I think you are playing catchup from the outset, just like last year.

As far as you accusing me of not being honest in my evaluation with Dallas, New Orleans, and Minnesota.., you are wrong. THAT is truly what I believe. If I am that far off, bookmark this for seasons end and throw it in my face.

Look at this though:

Odds to win the 2013-14 Western ConferenceTeamOddsOklahoma City Thunder7/4San Antonio Spurs3/1Houston Rockets11/2Los Angeles Clippers11/2Memphis Grizzlies11/1Golden State Warriors13/1Denver Nuggets13/1Dallas Mavericks18/1Los Angeles Lakers45/1Minnesota Timberwolves45/1New Orleans Pelicans45/1Utah Jazz45/1Portland Blazers45/1Sacramento Kings45/1Phoenix Suns 125/1

It's pretty much how I see things and I didnt say I felt you were as bad as or equal to Utah, Portland or Sacramento even though the 'experts' give them the same chance of winning the WC as your team.

The problem with the parameters that you tried to set is that I don't think it will be much of a "middle ground" for the Lakers!! It's tough to call!! There is talent there besides Kobe, Pau and Nash!!

Nick Young has shown he can play, Johnson was a top 5 draft pick, Kelly is supposed to be good from 3 point land, Farmar showed he can play when he was with the Lakers before, Hill has shown promise!! They aren't Kobe, Pau, a 40 year old point guard and a bunch of scrubs like you have tried to paint them!!

They have some talent and some of these guys are playing for their NBA lives!! Barring some amazing, blockbuster trades, the Lakers aren't winning the title this year anyway. But there is something to be said for guys that are "playing to get another contract"!!

As for your pre-season odds!! Save it, I put no more faith in those than I do the pre-season polls in college football!!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other than Howard, I'm not too concerned about losing the others. You pretty much thought Artest and Jamison were junk last season. Why are you making such a big deal about the Lakers losing them? Clark had a couple good months during the middle of the season and then tailed off significantly. I prefer all the players that the Lakers have signed this summer over the ones they lost, with the exception of Howard. The new players are better fits for D'Antoni.

What happened to the Lakers needing to get younger and more athletic anyway? They accomplish that this summer yet you think they would be better with the older slower players?

There is a lot more to it than just running up and down the court. This isn't Phoenix and 7SOL. I do find it funny that Howard went to a team that ran the same offense last season. I wonder if he'll refuse to run PnR there.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Howard, I'm not too concerned about losing the others. You pretty much thought Artest and Jamison were junk last season. Why are you making such a big deal about the Lakers losing them? Clark had a couple good months during the middle of the season and then tailed off significantly. I prefer all the players that the Lakers have signed this summer over the ones they lost, with the exception of Howard. The new players are better fits for D'Antoni.

What happened to the Lakers needing to get younger and more athletic anyway? They accomplish that this summer yet you think they would be better with the older slower players?

There is a lot more to it than just running up and down the court. This isn't Phoenix and 7SOL. I do find it funny that Howard went to a team that ran the same offense last season. I wonder if he'll refuse to run PnR there.

I partially agree with what you are saying. The losses other then Howard aren't that significant, but neither are your additions.

However, the Howard loss is HUGE, regardless of his flaws.

Like I have said, I never thought you would suck, but I think the rosters of all the other teams I named are simply more talented then the Lakers.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I partially agree with what you are saying. The losses other then Howard aren't that significant, but neither are your additions. However, the Howard loss is HUGE, regardless of his flaws.

Yes, the loss of Howard is a big deal. That's been said plenty. The additions the Lakers did make to the roster are upgrades over what was lost (with the obvious exception of Howard). They aren't elite players, but young athletic players that fit D'Antoni's offense and want to be here. A player like Wes Johnson may surprise you as well seeing as he should get more significant playing time as opposed to previous seasons.

Like I have said, I never thought you would suck, but I think the rosters of all the other teams I named are simply more talented then the Lakers.

I agree with most. I don't think Dallas, Minnesota, or New Orleans are better though.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uber troll below...:D

his ability to cloak the fact that he misses so many more of those difficult shots than most and everyone still calls him clutch, also his ability to drown out teammates shouting "KOBE I AM OPEN!!!" while jacking up another one. Also his ability to use PEDs to come back from what is normally a career ending injury.

Jordan420Bulls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO @ the OP

Karma coming back and slammin' him right up the keister.

Signed: Bulls fans

Al-bundy-ed-oneill-animated-gif-2.gif

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmmmmm.....

HGH heals ligaments, cartilage and bones so it is much more likely he is on HGH, not steroids which only aid in muscle repair.

The fact that he has been injured again so quickly leads me to believe there is a very good chance Kobe used HGH or other PEDs to boost his recovery despite the rest of his body simply not being ready.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HGH heals ligaments, cartilage and bones so it is much more likely he is on HGH, not steroids which only aid in muscle repair.

The fact that he has been injured again so quickly leads me to believe there is a very good chance Kobe used HGH or other PEDs to boost his recovery despite the rest of his body simply not being ready.

So you believe Kobe used HGH to recover from a torn achilles.. and that lead to a broken bone.. (the upper outside bone of the knee) Your achilles tendon connects your calf muscles to your calcaneus aka your heal. It has no effect upon your proximal lateral tibia bone which is what kobe broke. he may have used HGH. I wouldnt put it past any professional athlete. but the connection you are trying to make here is flat out medically inaccurate and is borderline SMAN material.

Bartman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you believe Kobe used HGH to recover from a torn achilles.. and that lead to a broken bone.. (the upper outside bone of the knee) Your achilles tendon connects your calf muscles to your calcaneus aka your heal. It has no effect upon your proximal lateral tibia bone which is what kobe broke. he may have used HGH. I wouldnt put it past any professional athlete. but the connection you are trying to make here is flat out medically inaccurate and is borderline SMAN material.

I think what he was saying is that HGH along with healing tendons, bones, etc. quicker can also (when abused) affect the tendons and bones in some adverse way that could have led to the broken bone.