• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe giving up?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team is quitting on D'Antoni. What he's done to the Lakers will ruin his career.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a pretty good article. I don't see Dwight and Gasol having nearly the resolve to stick with this as Kobe. It's time to rebuild and write the check to make D'Antoni go away.

D'Antoni has a long, stubborn history of forcing talent to fit into his system, and right now that is clearly playing a part in the unraveling of this season.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team is quitting on D'Antoni. What he's done to the Lakers will ruin his career.

I agree. They have the talent, but the coach and the system doesn't fit their style of play at all.

They need a new coach and probably still trade Gasol to have a any chance of getting to playoffs.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a pretty good article. I don't see Dwight and Gasol having nearly the resolve to stick with this as Kobe. It's time to rebuild and write the check to make D'Antoni go away.

They can't write that check......Buss isn't a corporation, that money comes out of his pocket.

I think they HAVE to move Pau AND Howard. Howard is not going to resign, and they aren't going to use him as a centerpiece to build around anyway. He's never going to be the focal point on offense. May as well get something for him while they still can. Pau's going to be a little tougher......because of his age and contract, but they can find somebody that will take him.

They need to admit within the org that it's rebuilding time and start this sooner rather than later.

I can't believe I'm saying this but they were better off with Mike Brown.......

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to admit within the org that it's rebuilding time and start this sooner rather than later.

I can't believe I'm saying this but they were better off with Mike Brown.......

Both statements are not even debatable. Stubborn pride won't allow them to take the first step and admit defeat and officially enter rebuild mode. I don't think brass (or the old man) has a close enough relationship with Kobe to know what he'd do if they threw their hands up.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both statements are not even debatable. Stubborn pride won't allow them to take the first step and admit defeat and officially enter rebuild mode. I don't think brass (or the old man) has a close enough relationship with Kobe to know what he'd do if they threw their hands up.

I'm sure they don't want to take the Mavs approach, but they will have ridiculous cap room after this season, and they'll keep Dirk. They'll take short term losses if they can get a top FA or two next year.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They weren't better off under Mike Brown. They were in just as big a mess because there's a common trend, effort. They've had two coaches with wildly different philosophies but Howard and Gasol haven't bought into playing with each other under either circumstance. D'Antoni hasn't done anything to help that, but there's only so much a coach to do.

And I'm sure they're looking at all options as far as roster moves. But they're far more inclined to keep Howard around. His options are limited in FA. Brooklyn is capped out. Atlanta doesn't have the cap room depending on what they do with Smith. It's really only Dallas as a viable option. The Lakers can offer more money and the prospect of picking his coach. Because they can easily get rid of D'Antoni. It's LA. Money is no option. The Busses don't run the franchise as a source of income, its a luxury. And even as a luxury, its exceedingly wealthy from TV rights, etc that gives it pocket books far larger than any other franchise so they aren't even operating in the red if they have lavish expenses. So they're much more likely to roll the dice with Howard.

What they won't do is trade both for 50 cents on the dollar with salary implications (taking on salary beyond 14 and 15) or blow it up just to go into rebuild mode. Because the Lakers don't rebuild and they never have because their status gives them unique options other franchises don't have.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They weren't better off under Mike Brown. They were in just as big a mess because there's a common trend, effort. They've had two coaches with wildly different philosophies but Howard and Gasol haven't bought into playing with each other under either circumstance. D'Antoni hasn't done anything to help that, but there's only so much a coach to do.

And I'm sure they're looking at all options as far as roster moves. But they're far more inclined to keep Howard around. His options are limited in FA. Brooklyn is capped out. Atlanta doesn't have the cap room depending on what they do with Smith. It's really only Dallas as a viable option. The Lakers can offer more money and the prospect of picking his coach. Because they can easily get rid of D'Antoni. It's LA. Money is no option. The Busses don't run the franchise as a source of income, its a luxury. And even as a luxury, its exceedingly wealthy from TV rights, etc that gives it pocket books far larger than any other franchise so they aren't even operating in the red if they have lavish expenses. So they're much more likely to roll the dice with Howard.

What they won't do is trade both for 50 cents on the dollar with salary implications (taking on salary beyond 14 and 15) or blow it up just to go into rebuild mode. Because the Lakers don't rebuild and they never have because their status gives them unique options other franchises don't have.

Can't agree.

Buss isn't made of money as you seem to think. AND he has to deal with the new salary cap. As it stands right now, he'd have to pay close to 300 million in luxury taxes if he keeps this roster intact AND resigns Howard. And we're not even counting paying out D'antoni.

Not even Buss is going to do that, and if you think he is, you're insane. NO owner is going to voluntarily give up that kind of money with no titles in tow.

Contrary to what you think, owners CARE about revenue and profits.

Them keeping Howard is not up to them, it's up to Howard. I don't really understand WHY they'd want to keep him either - like I posted earlier, they don't run offense through him, and as long D'antoni AND Kobe are there, they never will. They aren't going to build around him as a centerpiece either. So what's the point in keeping him in a system and franchise he clearly doesn't fit in?

They're better off getting something in return rather than seeing him walk. Whether you believe it or not, the Lakers DO have to rebuild......you know, the team before Kobe wasn't too good.......and they weren't attracting players or throwing money at them either. Every team has to spend time at the bottom, and they are DEFINITELY on the downtrend.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't agree.

Buss isn't made of money as you seem to think. AND he has to deal with the new salary cap. As it stands right now, he'd have to pay close to 300 million in luxury taxes if he keeps this roster intact AND resigns Howard. And we're not even counting paying out D'antoni.

Not even Buss is going to do that, and if you think he is, you're insane. NO owner is going to voluntarily give up that kind of money with no titles in tow.

Contrary to what you think, owners CARE about revenue and profits.

Them keeping Howard is not up to them, it's up to Howard. I don't really understand WHY they'd want to keep him either - like I posted earlier, they don't run offense through him, and as long D'antoni AND Kobe are there, they never will. They aren't going to build around him as a centerpiece either. So what's the point in keeping him in a system and franchise he clearly doesn't fit in?

They're better off getting something in return rather than seeing him walk. Whether you believe it or not, the Lakers DO have to rebuild......you know, the team before Kobe wasn't too good.......and they weren't attracting players or throwing money at them either. Every team has to spend time at the bottom, and they are DEFINITELY on the downtrend.

The fact that they brought the 4 of them together proves you're wrong. You don't think LA was aware of the salary implications before making the deal? If they were concerned about cash, they wouldn't have done it.

And you're also wrong about the second part I didn't bold. What team before Kobe? Kobe was drafted in 96. The season before that, LA was still a playoff team and I seem to remember them throwing money at and luring a certain big man to town. You don't understand. The Lakers don't operate by the same standards and methods of the other franchises. Your line of thinking works for most of the other teams, but not LA. History shows this

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that they brought the 4 of them together proves you're wrong. You don't think LA was aware of the salary implications before making the deal? If they were concerned about cash, they wouldn't have done it.

And you're also wrong about the second part I didn't bold. What team before Kobe? Kobe was drafted in 96. The season before that, LA was still a playoff team and I seem to remember them throwing money at and luring a certain big man to town. You don't understand. The Lakers don't operate by the same standards and methods of the other franchises. Your line of thinking works for most of the other teams, but not LA. History shows this

ah, so you think the Eddie Jones/Cedric Ceballos/Nick Van Exel Lakers were contenders of some sort? LOL OK then, keep believing the operate in a bubble.

When they slash roster to get out of paying that luxury tax, don't act surprised. Buss is not paying 300 million in luxury tax, but keep living in homer land where economics don't apply. Buss didn't get rich by being stupid with his money.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won 50 games and made the playoffs. You said they weren't good and didn't throw money around. You're wrong. They won 50 games finishing 4th in the WC, made the playoffs, and then threw big money at Shaq. Not good implies being a lottery team. Not spending cash means they couldn't get a player like Shaq. Nothing about what you said is correct.

And its not homer land, it's common sense. Mitch Kupchek is one of the best GMs in the league. If LA were so concerned with money, why on Earth would they ever put Howard, Nash, Gasol, and Kobe on the same team? GMs don't operate by looking at name value, signing them, and then looking at the price tag afterwards and say "Oh shit, we're screwed!" (well, Isiah Thomas does). The Lakers planned out how they can keep these guys together not only this season but how to have flexibility 2, 3, 4 years down the road. They have a plan, one they can afford and one that most teams can't participate in because of the many luxuries the Lakers have that other franchises don't.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors

Dwight Howard Trade Rumors: Brooklyn Doesn't Want Lakers All-Star, Can You Blame Them? - Yahoo! Sports

Blaming this on DH is dumb. He is averaging 17 pts 12 rebounds 2.5 blocks.

Eh, it's not entirely dumb. He is averaging decent numbers coming off back surgery and playing with a torn labrum. However, his attitude is total shit and there's been numerous times where he's just given no effort. Take the Chicago game for example. Howard bitched about not getting enough shots (he had 5 that game). Well Ryen Russillo did some research and found that Dwight had 17 touches that game and 11 resulted in TOs or him just doing nothing with the ball because of a halfassed effort (I don't have RR's exact numbers because I heard it on radio). That's on Howard and that's where he deserves some blame.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, it's not entirely dumb. He is averaging decent numbers coming off back surgery and playing with a torn labrum. However, his attitude is total shit and there's been numerous times where he's just given no effort. Take the Chicago game for example. Howard bitched about not getting enough shots (he had 5 that game). Well Ryen Russillo did some research and found that Dwight had 17 touches that game and 11 resulted in TOs or him just doing nothing with the ball because of a halfassed effort (I don't have RR's exact numbers because I heard it on radio). That's on Howard and that's where he deserves some blame.

The Lakers should of expected this coming in, it is 100% no suprise. What did LA expect, the way he acted in Orlando and what he did in offseason saying he only wants to play for Brooklyn. They got him bc they were soo desperate to win title for Kobe. They knew what was coming to em.

Fuck LA and fuck DH! LA should of been more patient and DH has always been a whiney little bitch.

If DH leaves in offseason instead of getting traded. This might be the worst move I have ever seen. Lose Bynum, and DH.

Last edited by a moderator: