• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe #40

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe Bryant Missing Shots at Historic Rate

"Kobe Bryant Missing Shots at Historic Rate":

ESPN said:
Maybe Kobe Bryant is trying to make up for all of the shots he didn’t take while injured last season. Or maybe he’s trying to take enough shots to justify his $23.5 million salary. Whatever the reason, Bryant is shooting – and missing -- at a historically high rate.

It’s early in the season, of course, so the small-sample-size caveat is in effect. But through five games, Bryant’s 25.5 shots per 36 minutes would rank third in NBA history. The only player to average more shots per 36 minutes was Wilt Chamberlain, in 1961-62 (29.3) and 1962-63 (26.2).

But whereas Chamberlain shot better than 50 percent from the field in his seasons of greatest usage, Bryant is shooting 40.2 percent.

The Lakers are 0-5.

Heading into Sunday’s game against the Hornets, Bryant is 25 missed shots from tying the NBA mark for most misses in a career. Former Celtics great John Havlicek missed 13,417 shots in 1,270 games (10.6 misses a game). Bryant has missed 13,369 in 1,250 games (10.7 per game). This season, Bryant is missing an average of 14.6 shots a game. At this pace, the record will be his Nov. 11 at Memphis.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe is not a great percentage shooter, he just shoots a lot.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:badmin:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe is not a great percentage shooter, he just shoots a lot.

That's the problem. If you're not a great percentage shooter, you shouldn't be shooting a lot.

MrHoople

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem. If you're not a great percentage shooter, you shouldn't be shooting a lot.

Who else on this version of the Lakers would you rather have shooting the ball?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understand the point of these threads

Kobe could score 100 every game and they'd still lose......his performance doesn't matter if it doesn't positively impact the team and WINNING. Simply taking bad shots all night and accruing stats means nothing.

Sooner or later they have to decide to be a TEAM, not a one man show. That's on Scott, and the players to figure that out. It will start with Kobe taking less shots per game.

Here is who our other shooters are and what the are shooting this season:

Lin: 37%
Johnson: 40%
Ellington: 54% (scoring 7pts/game)
Price: 27%
Clarkson: 27%

Who the fuck are these guys and who the hell is he supposed to pass to? We are going to suck bad this year, and none of these guys will even be on the roster next year. I consider it one of the world's great miracles that Kobe is even averaging 3 assists per game (which is 3rd on the team). Kobe is shooting over 40% which puts him exactly 1% below LeBron.

At this point the ONLY reason to watch the Lakers is to watch Kobe score. I say this as a lifetime Lakers fan. Kobe do what Kobe does.:clap:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is who our other shooters are and what the are shooting this season:

Lin: 37%
Johnson: 40%
Ellington: 54% (scoring 7pts/game)
Price: 27%
Clarkson: 27%

Who the fuck are these guys and who the hell is he supposed to pass to? We are going to suck bad this year, and none of these guys will even be on the roster next year. I consider it one of the world's great miracles that Kobe is even averaging 3 assists per game (which is 3rd on the team). Kobe is shooting over 40% which puts him exactly 1% below LeBron.

At this point the ONLY reason to watch the Lakers is to watch Kobe score. I say this as a lifetime Lakers fan. Kobe do what Kobe does.:clap:

Exactly. Kobe has shown throughout his career that when he has teammates that he can trust, he will pass the ball. When he doesn't, he's going to try to win the game himself. I expect the Lakers offense to improve a bit as they get healthy and the "quit deferring to Kobe all of the time" message that he and Byron are giving the young guys in practice starts to sink in. If/when that happens, I expect he'll pass more.

However, right now, it seems a Kobe fadeaway jumper from 20 feet with 2 hands in his face is a higher percentage shot than just about anyone else shooting a layup. :L

MrHoople

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers aren't winning any titles this year so they need to keep draft standing in mind. Losing is good right now. So if Kobe can catch Jordan's scoring record and move up the list I'm all for that. That would be one positive side effect for this season.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else on this version of the Lakers would you rather have shooting the ball?

Everybody (Lin in particular, he's the other scoring threat besides Kobe, but really everybody). This obviously is a bad Lakers team, but they wouldn't be as bad if Kobe didn't keep throwing up so many terrible shots instead of passing the ball more. The lack of ball movement is hurting the Lakers bad.

I'm not saying the other players should be shooting more than Kobe, but Kobe should certainly be passing the ball more when people are open rather than making so many horrendous low-percentage shots where people are all over him, he has an obviously bad look, but he still chucks up a brick anyway.

Lin has a lot of problems in his game, but his best skills are driving to the basket and scoring. Kobe needs to trust him with the ball more.

The Lakers are now 1-6. Here's the stat line for their one victory, against the Hornets. Notice something? It's the one game where Kobe isn't the sole leading scorer --- Lin has just as many points, and on far more efficient shooting (Lin has 8-12 compared to Kobe's 7-20) at that. Spread the ball out more, especially to Lin, and the Lakers get better. They won't be worldbeaters, but with more ball movement, they will be better than they have been.

Last edited by a moderator:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody (Lin in particular, he's the other scoring threat besides Kobe, but really everybody). This obviously is a bad Lakers team, but they wouldn't be as bad if Kobe didn't keep throwing up so many terrible shots instead of passing the ball more. The lack of ball movement is hurting the Lakers bad.

I'm not saying the other players should be shooting more than Kobe, but Kobe should certainly be passing the ball more when people are open rather than making so many horrendous low-percentage shots where people are all over him, he has an obviously bad look, but he still chucks up a brick anyway.

Lin has a lot of problems in his game, but his best skills are driving to the basket and scoring. Kobe needs to trust him with the ball more.

The Lakers are now 1-6. Here's the stat line for their one victory, against the Hornets. Notice something? It's the one game where Kobe isn't the sole leading scorer --- Lin has just as many points, and on far more efficient shooting (Lin has 8-12 compared to Kobe's 7-20) at that. Spread the ball out more, especially to Lin, and the Lakers get better. They won't be worldbeaters, but with more ball movement, they will be better than they have been.

^^ Obviously hasn't watched a Lakers game this year and is talking out of his ass.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well shit, why don't you just tell Kobe to pass the ball then...:noidea:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Kobe Bean Bryant for breaking another record.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^ Obviously hasn't watched a Lakers game this year and is talking out of his ass.

^^Obviously can't actually refute my statement since is resorting to generic ad hominem "talking out of his ass" attack rather than actually offering any counterargument

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^Obviously can't actually refute my statement since is resorting to generic ad hominem "talking out of his ass" attack rather than actually offering any counterargument

Have U watched the games

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And your answer to fixing the team is the incredibly general answer of "everybody needs to score more", gee thanks for that ocean of insight, I can barely deal with the depth of it.

The whole "Kobe's a ballhog" thing is just a tired debate, you're a couple of years behind on this one lol. You must have missed the part where he was urging his teammates to step up and be more aggressive. A lot of the Lakers seemed inclined to stand around and let Kobe do his thing for much of the early part of this season, they are starting to play more like a team in the last few games. Your point with Lin is pretty laughable, so Kobe is taking shots away from Lin? I must have missed the games in Houston where he played with confidence and aggression. But you have a point because it's not like Kobe sees the talent Lin has and is encouraging Lin to be more aggressive and confident or to run the offense the way Lin sees fit... oh wait, he has been doing that, so I guess you don't know shit.

But instead of saying all that I concluded that the generic ad hominem was far more to the point. It's pretty accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe Bryant has missed at least 20 shots in 44 games, the fourth most such games in NBA history. John Havlicek, whom Bryant passed Tuesday for the all-time miss record, had 25 such games in his career (10th all-time).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

<Sarcasm Font On>While I am sure that you are one of the greatest basketball minds ever to grace the Hoop<Sarcasm Font Off>

Here is what Byron Scott has to say about it:

When you've got a bunch of new guys and they're playing with a legend, it takes time. A lot of those guys, they watched Kobe over the years be one of the best to ever play this game. Of course when they throw it to him sometimes they have a tendency to stand around and watch because they want to see what he's going to do. Now after about 6 or 7 weeks they're starting to realize we have to help him as much as possible. And that's a challenge.

Both Byron and Kobe have both been telling these guys all training and season long that they have to stop being so Kobe centric. In spurts, they will just run the offense rather than run it through Kobe and the offense will look good for awhile. Problem is, there will be substitutions and/or the game gets close and they start using the security blanket of just giving the ball to Kobe and watching him try to bail them out. Hopefully, when guys like Henry, Kelly and Young get back, they will help with keeping the offense from being so dependent on Kobe.

Kobe loves him some shots, no question. But he's not stupid and knows that the Lakers aren't going to win many games and he's not going to last the season if he keeps having to do all of the heavy lifting on offense.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the list of top 5 missed shots in NBA history and number of years they played:

1. Kobe Bryant (19, so far)
2. John Havlicek (16 years)
3. Elvin Hayes (16 years)
4. Karl Malone (19 years)
5. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (20 years)

That's a pretty good list of names playing a loooooong time.