• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Knicks still...

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clueless.

Absolutely clueless.

Just not even worth talking to you.
You are so pathetically insecure.

I am not completely disagreeing with you about subject, and because I feel a little differently, I’m clueless...

what accomplishments have you had in your life that makes you such an expert ?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are so pathetically insecure.

I am not completely disagreeing with you about subject, and because I feel a little differently, I’m clueless...

what accomplishments have you had in your life that makes you such an expert ?

You leave zero room for anything but what you believe to be true.

Well, I am not going to go so far as to classify myself as an expert. But, you asked about my experience so....

This exact topic was literally the subject of my master’s thesis in grad school. At the time I thought I wanted to make a career out of coaching. My topic was:

Skill vs. confidence: which has more impact on athletic performance

I sited 20-25 studies on related research and conducted my own small scale study. The results showed some disagreement on which was more important, but it was clear that both underlying skill and confidence matter. There is a symbiotic relationship where skill breeds confidence and confidence appears to improve skill. But what was abundantly clear is that the best performers have high level of both.

I have also seen up close first hand both with personal experience and players I coached. You work hard and put in the time your feel for the shot you practice gets more and more advanced. The margin of error becomes smaller and tighter to the point where even “mistakes” start to go in the basket at a relatively high rate. I know this because I have spent thousands upon thousands of hours of my life on a basketball court. A large chunk of that time was me by myself just shooting.

Progress like Julius Randle showed just isn’t possible without some development of the underlying skill. Neither of us can get inside his head, but your assumption that a coaching change has more impact on his performance than the time and sweat he has put in greatly diminishes his work.

Last edited:

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You leave zero room for anything but what you believe to be true.

Well, I am not going to go so far as to classify myself as an expert. But, you asked about my experience so....

This exact topic was literally the subject of my master’s thesis in grad school. At the time I thought I wanted to make a career out of coaching. My topic was:

Skill vs. confidence: which has more impact on athletic performance

I sited 20-25 studies on related research and conducted my own small scale study. The results showed some disagreement on which was more important, but it was clear that both underlying skill and confidence matter. There is a symbiotic relationship where skill breeds confidence and confidence appears to improve skill. But what was abundantly clear is that the best performers have high level of both.

I have also seen up close first hand both with personal experience and players I coached. You work hard and put in the time your feel for the shot you practice gets more and more advanced. The margin of error becomes smaller and tighter to the point where even “mistakes” start to go in the basket at a relatively high rate. I know this because I have spent thousands upon thousands of hours of my life on a basketball court. A large chunk of that time was me by myself just shooting.

Progress like Julius Randle showed just isn’t possible without some development of the underlying skill. Neither of us can get inside his head, but your assumption that a coaching change has more impact on his performance than the time and sweat he has put in greatly diminishes his work.
You got me...

you read books...
I won a world championship

you did studies...
I inked a contract

you spent hours on a basketball court ...
won another championship at pro level.

You have a masters in skill vs confidence...
I have earned , all world , all state, 2 states, singled out by the most successful baseball coach in country during actual games, drafted 4 times, spent many years As a professional, saw first hand the work ethic of big named players, exposed to many experiences of former players..

What can I say.. books over experience wins every time.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got me...

I inked a contract

I have earned , all world , all state, 2 states, singled out by the most successful baseball coach in country during actual games, drafted 4 times, spent many years As a professional, saw first hand the work ethic of big named players, exposed to many experiences of former players..

spongebob squarepants bullshit GIF

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got me...

you read books...

you did studies...
I inked a contract

you spent hours on a basketball court ...

You have a masters in skill vs confidence...

What can I say.. books over experience wins every time.

Not in basketball you haven’t!

All my experience is specific to basketball. And a team I coached did actually win a state and national championship 1 year.

Your baseball success doesn’t help you shoot a basketball. That is what this conversation is about.

Last edited:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All my experience is specific to basketball. And a team I coached did actually win a state and national championship 1 year.

Your baseball success doesn’t help you shoot a basketball. That is what this conversation is about.
Have to say IF he is telling the truth, he makes a fair point. Didn't see that your thesis was bball specific. It says sports.

Curious if you dove into "culture" at all which we hear so much about.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to say IF he is telling the truth, he makes a fair point. Didn't see that your thesis was bball specific. It says sports.

Curious if you dove into "culture" at all which we hear so much about.

No. Thesis was not basketball specific. The study I conducted was, but not a big enough sample size.

Doesn’t change facts.

No matter what he accomplished as a baseball player, he does not know more about the skill of shooting a basketball than I do.

Do you honestly believe that NBA players don’t improve their skill level?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Thesis was not basketball specific. The study I conducted was, but not a big enough sample size.

Doesn’t change facts.

No matter what he accomplished as a baseball player, he does not know more about the skill of shooting a basketball than I do.

Do you honestly believe that NBA players don’t improve their skill level?
Of course I agree with that last part. I've agreed more with you in this thread.

But this was what you said was your thesis...Skill vs. confidence: which has more impact on athletic performance

Does not seem to be bball specific. Why I said IF what he said was true it's fair to think the actual high level athlete could know as much as a writer about the athletes. Not in every case, of course, as I'm sure some athletes just go play and don't think much about what they are doing or have done.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course I agree with that last part. I've agreed more with you in this thread.

But this was what you said was your thesis...Skill vs. confidence: which has more impact on athletic performance

Does not seem to be bball specific. Why I said IF what he said was true it's fair to think the actual high level athlete could know as much as a writer about the athletes. Not in every case, of course, as I'm sure some athletes just go play and don't think much about what they are doing or have done.
Sorry, @tlance . Misread as you clearly said study NOT bball specific in your reply to me.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had one of the most purest shots in game, was MVP at high school level , scored 40 pts in a game, with no 3 pt play, would have had 60 if there was, that was vs class A high school team. would have averaged well over 20 a game , one school decided to double me up whole game, only scored 4 pts , that one game brought my avg down to 17 a game , which was not to shabby. I was recruited to play both college basketball and baseball, but all knew I was going high in the draft. I did all this only playing 2 years of organized basketball.

the brothers called me dr T, I had hang time nobody else had, had a vertical leap dunk a tennis ball from straight under hoop. I was grabbed tugged everything under the sun to stop me, I would fight it throw up the ball and it would still go in! Can do it still today, Oh course my height can’t compete , but I’ll. Give you a run for your money.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off . If you truly think the majority of pro athletes at the highest level work on their skill, YOU’RE NUTS!!! Why do you think they make such a big deal about guys like Jerry Rice and his work ethic!!!!! You think any player at that level should be singled out like him, of course not. Every player should have same work ethic . get paid millions for a six month job, and the fans are the ones payin to see them sit on bench cause they come into season out of shape.

Why do you think there so much injury, cause they’re now playing more games early on and players simply do not come into season ready to play !!

As you know in spring training they separate the minors from majors. One day the big boys had to use our facility.

every coach in the org. lined up from first base out to right field, blocking our view from seeing the work ethic going on . If we got caught looking over. We were put on next plane out.

the reason why we were not allowed to look over was because they didn’t do shit. They ran if they wanted to run, they were doing talk interviews, everything was so laid back you wouldn’t believe it.

for us, it was a freekin boot camp ! You would never think baseball would ever require you to be in such shape .

you got pipe dreams t lance thinking the majority of these players develop their skills off season or during!

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off . If you truly think the majority of pro athletes at the highest level work on their skill, YOU’RE NUTS!!! Why do you think they make such a big deal about guys like Jerry Rice and his work ethic!!!!! You think any player at that level should be singled out like him, of course not. Every player should have same work ethic . get paid millions for a six month job, and the fans are the ones payin to see them sit on bench cause they come into season out of shape.

Why do you think there so much injury, cause they’re now playing more games early on and players simply do not come into season ready to play !!

As you know in spring training they separate the minors from majors. One day the big boys had to use our facility.

every coach in the org. lined up from first base out to right field, blocking our view from seeing the work ethic going on . If we got caught looking over. We were put on next plane out.

the reason why we were not allowed to look over was because they didn’t do shit. They ran if they wanted to run, they were doing talk interviews, everything was so laid back you wouldn’t believe it.

for us, it was a freekin boot camp ! You would never think baseball would ever require you to be in such shape .

you got pipe dreams t lance thinking the majority of these players develop their skills off season or during!
k

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had one of the most purest shots in game, was MVP at high school level , scored 40 pts in a game, with no 3 pt play, would have had 60 if there was, that was vs class A high school team. would have averaged well over 20 a game , one school decided to double me up whole game, only scored 4 pts , that one game brought my avg down to 17 a game , which was not to shabby. I was recruited to play both college basketball and baseball, but all knew I was going high in the draft. I did all this only playing 2 years of organized basketball.

Baby Lol GIF by moodman

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the brothers called me dr T, I had hang time nobody else had, had a vertical leap dunk a tennis ball from straight under hoop. I was grabbed tugged everything under the sun to stop me, I would fight it throw up the ball and it would still go in! Can do it still today, Oh course my height can’t compete , but I’ll. Give you a run for your money.

I highly doubt that. At least not when it comes to shooting.

I don’t claim to be a great player. But I can shoot.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some don’t work hard.

The vast majority do. Especially in the modern era where skill is king. Wasn’t as necessary in the 90s where size and strength dominated the day.

You are nuts to assume they don’t.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt that. At least not when it comes to shooting.

I don’t claim to be a great player. But I can shoot.
I should have asked you what chapter in your book qualifies you as a pure shooter!