• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kelvin Benjamin's weight a concern for NFL scouts

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you are assuming WR is a position of need. Under your logic, every position is a position of need. You all need to stop assuming that nobody but a WR will be available at 34 and that we are loaded at every position outside of WR.

If Garcon went down, we would not be in near a bad spot as if Reed, Morris, Williams, Hatcher or Kerrigan went down.

I totally agree that drafting the BPA is a great idea. However, this isn't the MLB draft where you always take that approach. You should take the BPA in a position of need. What if Teddy Bridgewater is the BPA at 34, do you take him?

Taking BPA has been proven time and again as the best strategy and it is what all of the great drafting teams do. The draft is such a crap shoot that the best strategy is to take athletes that have the best chance to compete at the next level. Don't confuse our piss poor history of evaluating talent as a knock on taking BPA. If a teddy Bridgewater is on our board at 34 as the BPA, you do one of two things. You look to your next BPA (at 34, the difference between athletes becomes much more subjective) or you trade down. What you don't do is reach for a player at a position that is lower in your ranking. You seriously risk wasting the pick.

The good news (I guess) is that we have enough holes that we can probably still draft a BPA at a position of need. The question raised by this thread is WR a position of need. IMO, we still have a hole at WR because we lack a big, physical WR. Hank has not yet consistently stepped into that role and Gettis is an unknown. If we have a chance to pick Benjamin at 34, we have to do it (depending on who else is on the board). Virtually all experts have him as a 1st round talent. He has a unique skill set of size, speed, and playmaking ability that doesn't come around often.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking BPA has been proven time and again as the best strategy and it is what all of the great drafting teams do. The draft is such a crap shoot that the best strategy is to take athletes that have the best chance to compete at the next level. Don't confuse our piss poor history of evaluating talent as a knock on taking BPA. If a teddy Bridgewater is on our board at 34 as the BPA, you do one of two things. You look to your next BPA (at 34, the difference between athletes becomes much more subjective) or you trade down. What you don't do is reach for a player at a position that is lower in your ranking. You seriously risk wasting the pick.

The good news (I guess) is that we have enough holes that we can probably still draft a BPA at a position of need. The question raised by this thread is WR a position of need. IMO, we still have a hole at WR because we lack a big, physical WR. Hank has not yet consistently stepped into that role and Gettis is an unknown. If we have a chance to pick Benjamin at 34, we have to do it (depending on who else is on the board). Virtually all experts have him as a 1st round talent. He has a unique skill set of size, speed, and playmaking ability that doesn't come around often.

While I don't disagree with your position, there is one small point that I would like to make. All draft picks are unproven.......Gettis, while yet to earn his stripes, does have some experience in the league.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is WR a need:

Garcon
Jackson
Roberts
Hankerson
Robinson

Those are 5 young WRs. Enough with the WR talk. Its getting silly at this point. How in the world is WR a need? The Detroit Lions called Skinsdad....they want their front office back.

Units that are weaker than WR on the team:

Safeties
CB
ILB
Interior OLine
TE
DLine

WR is not even close to being a need. Again, Skins fans are not the smartest group of people out there. We are not ready to take the BPA in our rebuilding stage.

what if jackson garcon or roberts gets hurt ? hankerson is coming off major knee surgery and has been a disappointment in his career

what has robinson done in his career worthy of being untouchable ?

teams that draft well take the best players

what dont you get duke ? you target needs . when your spot comes up you look at your draft board . if a need can be filled with the pick and value is there you take it . if not you go to the next need and the same thing applies

if you cant fill a need with value at the pick you pick the BPA

do you not understand what value is ? where is the disconnect ?

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what if jackson garcon or roberts gets hurt ? hankerson is coming off major knee surgery and has been a disappointment in his career

what dont you get duke ? you target needs . when your spot comes up you look at your draft board . if a need can be filled with the pick and value is there you take it . if not you go to the next need and the same thing applies

As opposed to what dad? The WR's picked before him, or in the 3rd round? Hankerson was, I guess the BPA @ #79 for the Redskins in the 3rd round. Here is a list of the 2011 WR's picked before and in the same round as the player you have judged as a "disappointment" that have worse stats than Hank.

Jonathan Baldwin...1st round #26 SF
Titus Young..2nd round #44 DET
Vincent Brown...3rd round #82 SD
Jerell Jernigan...3rd round # 83 NYG

8 WR's picked before Hank in the 2011 draft. Hank has better stats than two, even with his injury shortened 2013 season. IMO, Hank is far from a "disappointment" thus far in his career for a 3rd round pick.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Skinsdad- We were 3-13, how in the hell can we not find value at any position at 34? Again, you think we are closer to the Seahawks than to the Texans. This conversation is pointless because there will be plenty of value at practically every position in the draft and that would heavily outweigh depth at WR.

Never said that Robinson was untouchable. However, I am not willing to bench Garcon or Jackson for Benjamin. We MUST have the 34th pick start for us....not add depth as a #4 WR.

You are right, sucessful team do draft the BPA. Can't argue with that. What you have failed to mention is that they already have ALL NEEDS met. They built through the draft addressing needs and now they can add BPA for depth. A smart team would never draft a WR when half of their OLine is a joke. Again, we aren't in a spot to draft BPA with all of our picks. And stop saying that drafting Oline is "over-reaching". You guys are sticking to talking points you got from the NFL Network and aren't thinking it through. The fixation with Benjamin is boarder line creepy with some of you.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As opposed to what dad? The WR's picked before him, or in the 3rd round? Hankerson was, I guess the BPA @ #79 for the Redskins in the 3rd round. Here is a list of the 2011 WR's picked before and in the same round as the player you have judged as a "disappointment" that have worse stats than Hank.

8 WR's picked before Hank in the 2011 draft. Hank has better stats than two, even with his injury shortened 2013 season. IMO, Hank is far from a "disappointment" thus far in his career for a 3rd round pick.

Everyone is in dream land with Benjamin. Hell, I hope we draft a WR in the first 3 rounds. I mean seriously, you can never have enough WR and you MUST take the best player in the draft. RG3 will be running for his life but we will have the best WR in the NFL.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i didnt say hank wasnt the BPA or that he was worse then those selected before him as far as wr's go . the fact is in year 4 he hasnt become a starter and i believe by year 4 he should 2 of his 4 years have ended in season ending surgeries so durability is a huge issue

i bet there were better players selected after him as well however wr was a need , they felt he could best fill it , and they picked him which is what they should have done

all i am saying is hank is a question mark and his career hasnt panned out as it should have

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Moses is sitting there when we pick its a no brainer to draft him if we absolutely need a bigger wideout here are some with our later picks we could go after

Martavis Bryant 6-6
Jordan Matthews 6-3
Devin Street 6-3
Cody Latimer 6-3
Jeff Janis 6-3
Brandon Coleman 6-6
Cody Hoffman 6-4

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skinsdad- We were 3-13, how in the hell can we not find value at any position at 34? Again, you think we are closer to the Seahawks than to the Texans. This conversation is pointless because there will be plenty of value at practically every position in the draft and that would heavily outweigh depth at WR.

Never said that Robinson was untouchable. However, I am not willing to bench Garcon or Jackson for Benjamin. We MUST have the 34th pick start for us....not add depth as a #4 WR.

You are right, sucessful team do draft the BPA. Can't argue with that. What you have failed to mention is that they already have ALL NEEDS met. They built through the draft addressing needs and now they can add BPA for depth. A smart team would never draft a WR when half of their OLine is a joke. Again, we aren't in a spot to draft BPA with all of our picks. And stop saying that drafting Oline is "over-reaching". You guys are sticking to talking points you got from the NFL Network and aren't thinking it through. The fixation with Benjamin is boarder line creepy with some of you.

who the hell said bench garcon or jackson ? they are saying that if benjamin is the best player on the board pick him .

jackson is with us for 3 years , garcon about the same perhaps by that time benjamin can take over

and no they didnt "have every need filled "

we have needs virtually everywhere being a 3-13 team as you say . drafting the BPA will fill a need :10:

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didnt say hank wasnt the BPA or that he was worse then those selected before him as far as wr's go . the fact is in year 4 he hasnt become a starter and i believe by year 4 he should 2 of his 4 years have ended in season ending surgeries so durability is a huge issue

i bet there were better players selected after him as well however wr was a need , they felt he could best fill it , and they picked him which is what they should have done

all i am saying is hank is a question mark and his career hasnt panned out as it should have

dad...Hank was drafted in 2011. So the fact is, 2 of his first 3 seasons have ended in season ending surgeries. Durability could be an issue, or just a string of bad luck at the beginning of his 3 year career.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dad...Hank was drafted in 2011. So the fact is, 2 of his first 3 seasons have ended in season ending surgeries. Durability could be an issue, or just a string of bad luck at the beginning of his 3 year career.

he is entering year 4