• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keim mailbag Q and A

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Branch is actually pretty solid, but we've GOT Curl and Forrest actually has done well too.
This is why I have never been a BPA guy.
This isn't the NBA where you simply collect talent.

The MLB and NBA drafts are about taking BPA. Most MLB teams draft between 40-50 players per year. You do take the BPA or player who is signable in earlier rounds

In the NBA, you take the BPA as well.

The NFL is different as you have a small amount of draft choices compared to positions on the field. You have 5 starters in the NBA and you have a 40 man roster in MLB. In this example, if branch is the BPA, why would we take him? Same with WR, if a WR is the BPA, it would make no sense to draft one.

You cannot convince me this is the best strategy when you have numerous holes on the team. An elite team can go this route, but not a struggling team like WSH.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The MLB and NBA drafts are about taking BPA. Most MLB teams draft between 40-50 players per year. You do take the BPA or player who is signable in earlier rounds

The NFL is different as you have a small amount of draft choices compared to positions on the field. You have 5 starters in the NBA and you have a 40 man roster in MLB. In this example, if branch is the BPA, why would we take him? Same with WR, if a WR is the BPA, it would make no sense to draft one.

You cannot convince me this is the best strategy when you have numerous holes on the team. An elite team can go this route, but not a struggling team like WSH.
my draft strategy is a combo of drafting for need and BPA. we also have an issue when it does come to trade downs this yr and it cap space to sign draft picks .

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don’t become elite by drafting inferior talent.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This may sound crazy but i finally understand the BPA guys. If you really take a moment to hear those lunatics out, we aren't much different in philosophy.
For instance, some so called experts are mocking branch to us, because he can play 3 spots...and also replace Curl(i don't want that) now a BPA guy would tell you if Branch and Porter jr are there at 16....you take the BPA...which would be Porter, who just so happens to fill a team need....see how we aren't so different?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may sound crazy but i finally understand the BPA guys. If you really take a moment to hear those lunatics out, we aren't much different in philosophy.
For instance, some so called experts are mocking branch to us, because he can play 3 spots...and also replace Curl(i don't want that) now a BPA guy would tell you if Branch and Porter jr are there at 16....you take the BPA...which would be Porter, who just so happens to fill a team need....see how we aren't so different?
Thr BPA doctrine, especially in the first rounds, seems counter productive for teams not competing.

For example, if Carter is there at 16, and he is the BPA, we would take him. That would make no sense in our situation. We are loaded at starter and depth. Carter would more than likely come in and spell Allen or Payne. Thst would give the DLine 5 first round picks in 6 years, and one 2nd round pick in two years.

Meanwhile, the OLine and LB Corp suffer and are the weak link to the team. This could very well happen and would be example 1,000,000 of why we aren't successful. Smart teams us strategy. Simply going BPA is not smart at all.
Imagine the chiefs drafting a qb in the 1st.
Imagine 49ers taking DLine in the 1st.

It won't happen because they are smart. You identify a few pressing areas and match those with your board. If we are truly going BPA, I hope DT or WR isn't available.

Again, there is a reason we haven't won a playoff game in 17 years.

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thr BPA doctrine, especially in the first rounds, seems counter productive for teams not competing.

For example, if Carter is there at 16, and he is the BPA, we would take him. That would make no sense in our situation. We are loaded at starter and depth. Carter would more than likely come in and spell Allen or Payne. Thst would give the DLine 5 first round picks in 6 years, and one 2nd round pick in two years.

Meanwhile, the OLine and LB Corp suffer and are the weak link to the team. This could very well happen and would be example 1,000,000 of why we aren't successful. Smart teams us strategy. Simply going BPA is not smart at all.

It won't happen because they are smart. You identify a few pressing areas and match those with your board. If we are truly going BPA, I hope DT or WR isn't available.

if what you need isn't graded out at #16 then you probably are trading down. absolutely wouldn't hate that either. more darts for the dart board.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if what you need isn't graded out at #16 then you probably are trading down. absolutely wouldn't hate that either. more darts for the dart board.
remember this trading down might be something we cant do because of no reasonable offers or the ability to sign the extra draft picks

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
remember this trading down might be something we cant do because of no reasonable offers or the ability to sign the extra draft picks
Fair enough. But if it happens I'm sure they will make the money work for those extra players

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would end up cutting players because they drafted their replacements if they traded down and got more picks

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The great DCRising has spoken!

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have to have some common sense with the statement of BPA. We obviously wouldn’t take a DT at 16, but let’s say Will Anderson dropped to 16, you better take him over Michael Mayer, DJ Turner, JMS, or Paris Johnson, or any LB in this draft. We don’t exactly need a DE but you can’t pass him up for a less talented player.

Going OL and LB in a weak class of OL and LB means you are investing in inferior players…that is why you are likely a bottom feeder.

Again, you have to use some common sense. If you are paying your QB 50 million per season and can’t get out of the contract, then of course you don’t go QB; however, if you have David Carr and can draft Patrick Mahomes, you damn sure better draft Mahomes.

The only area we should completely avoid in the first three rounds is DT. We can use an improvement at every other position.

The reason we haven’t won a playoff game in 17 years is t because we draft BPA…it is because we didn’t value the draft, we valued FA, but not our own FAs, and we passed on better players and drafted need.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to have some common sense with the statement of BPA. We obviously wouldn’t take a DT at 16, but let’s say Will Anderson dropped to 16, you better take him over Michael Mayer, DJ Turner, JMS, or Paris Johnson, or any LB in this draft. We don’t exactly need a DE but you can’t pass him up for a less talented player.

Going OL and LB in a weak class of OL and LB means you are investing in inferior players…that is why you are likely a bottom feeder.

Again, you have to use some common sense. If you are paying your QB 50 million per season and can’t get out of the contract, then of course you don’t go QB; however, if you have David Carr and can draft Patrick Mahomes, you damn sure better draft Mahomes.

The only area we should completely avoid in the first three rounds is DT. We can use an improvement at every other position.

The reason we haven’t won a playoff game in 17 years is t because we draft BPA…it is because we didn’t value the draft, we valued FA, but not our own FAs, and we passed on better players and drafted need.
Gotcha Gkekoa. That makes sense.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Lamar turned down a 260 million/175 mill guaranteed offer down eh. As well as a 3 year/133 mill fully guaranteed.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, no doubt.
He thinks he is worth 1 gabiliongabilion dollars.

View attachment 325268
Heh, yeah. That's a lotta jack for a player who's missed 25% of the games he could've played in. That 1-3 playoff record isn't doing him any favors either. I like Lamar though and theq Ravend haven't done shit to give him help at the WR.

All that said. I'm glad the Skins didn't put themselves in the mix. The cost to get him n the money he wants along with his injury history. Smells like another high risk/low reward deal the Skins r ways on the wrong side