• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kearse vs Matthews vs Lockette(s)?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, sorry to bust in with fantasy relevant questions, but I wanted to get some homer thoughts on the WR corps.

I've been a fan of Kearse for a couple seasons now. He seems to show up in big moments, but due to the scheme hasn't been consistent. Nobody has really, just collectively.

Matthews obviously made a splash in the biggest moment, but is he the type to be a Two? (or even One over Badly?....I know, doubtful)

Then there's Graham, who yes, will take production away from the WR, but he'll also help free them up, and Russell is good at hitting the open guy.

Lockette is the new car, but will he have as big an impact at WR than that of special teams?

Thoughts?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, sorry to bust in with fantasy relevant questions, but I wanted to get some homer thoughts on the WR corps.

I've been a fan of Kearse for a couple seasons now. He seems to show up in big moments, but due to the scheme hasn't been consistent. Nobody has really, just collectively.

Matthews obviously made a splash in the biggest moment, but is he the type to be a Two? (or even One over Badly?....I know, doubtful)

Then there's Graham, who yes, will take production away from the WR, but he'll also help free them up, and Russell is good at hitting the open guy.

Lockette is the new car, but will he have as big an impact at WR than that of special teams?

Thoughts?

Without much information out of camp - here's my thoughts, fantasy-wise:

Graham - He's gonna be the #1 target, especially in the red zone. Look for him to put up decent numbers, but he'll be most valuable if the Hawks can get him TDs.

Baldwin - He'll probably benefit the most from Graham being around, as he isn't a #1 type receiver, but gets #1 attention. I'd look for his numbers to be similar to last year, if not a touch lower. He may get you yards, but he won't score a ton.

Kearse - Inconsistent pretty much describes him to a T. He will never be the guy who'll pull a win out for you, so unless the league is extremely deep in WRs, avoid him.

Matthews - One game a career does not make. We aren't 100% sure he makes the squad - we just think he will. He's big bodied, which puts smaller guys at a disadvantage - but he had a hard to cracking into the lineup last year, and it may be just as hard to do it again this year.

Lockett - I expect him to play a much bigger role as the season goes on. He's the Tate/Harvin guy that Bevell likes. As long as he runs good routes and doesn't require a WR screen just to get the ball, he'll be worked into the rotation - though I don't expect him to be a huge part of the offense week 1, but he'll be out there more and more as the season goes.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham is far and away the top fantasy option of the receiving crew. And the only one who should be a lock to get drafted.

Baldwin and (to a lesser extent) Kearse will get regular opportunities, everyone else will be fighting for scraps. I'm sure Matthews will have one big week (similar to the Super Bowl), and Lockett (rookie) probably will too, but no one else is going to even get the opportunities to put up consistent yardage numbers.

Bascially, every Seattle receiver should be treated as a traditional tight end: if they get a TD in that week's game, you'll probably be happy with them that week. If they don't, you won't.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lockett. It's a gamble for a rookie, but I think he'll pay off big time. I think he'll be very productive in STs, and battle with Graham to be the leading receiver. Lots of catches, probably not too many TD on offense, but I think he'll compensate with some return TDs.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Food for thoguht, also didn't want to create another thread so...

Tyler Lockett impressing Seahawks with receiving potential
By CURTIS CRABTREE (Associated Press) 7 hours ago AP - Sports

View photo
Seattle Seahawks' Tyler Lockett drops back to pass after being flipped the ball behind the line of scrimmage at an NFL football training camp Thursday, Aug. 6, 2015, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
RENTON, Wash. (AP) -- Rookie Tyler Lockett is turning heads in the Seattle Seahawks training camp with his quickness and route-running ability, and given his family history, it's really no surprise.
His father and uncle are Kevin and Aaron Lockett, who like Tyler also had distinguished careers at Kansas State and played professionally.

''I think it's helped me just because my dad taught me the mental part of the game,'' Lockett said. ''Just being able to understand coverages, being able to understand how to get open. It's all about getting open at the end of the day regardless of what routes you have.''
Doug Baldwin managed to make the college-to-pro transition quickly despite being an undrafted rookie out of Stanford in 2011. Baldwin caught 51 passes for 788 yards and led the team in receiving.
However, Baldwin says Lockett is more advanced at this stage than he was as a rookie.
''He's a lot more polished than I was as a rookie,'' Baldwin said. ''He's doing a fantastic job out here. Really good chemistry with Russell (Wilson) and other quarterbacks and just making plays when he has the opportunity to do so.''

Coach Pete Carroll practically gave the kick returning duties to Lockett on the night the Seahawks selected him in the third round of the draft. Seattle struggled in the return game a year ago after Golden Tate left for Detroit in free agency and Percy Harvin was dealt to the New York Jets.
''We've all been impressed with his attention to detail and how he wants to get it right,'' Carroll said. ''He spends extra time and all that. He's an unbelievably quick, fast guy, very confident catcher, really good route runner. He's doing great. We're not going to hold him back, he's going to push it for as much playing time as he can get at receiver and then we're giving him a great shot to be returner in both kicks and punts.''
Lockett seems poised to contribute on offense.

''We talked about him so much as a returner that you just kind of put him over there in that category,'' offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. ''Really from day one when he jumped in here it was like 'OK, wait a minute. This guy can be a wide receiver (too).' I think that says a lot about him.''

The Seahawks are deeper at receiver this year than they were when Baldwin was a rookie in 2011, so there may not be as many opportunities for Lockett. But Baldwin expects Lockett to make the most of his chances.
''He has the explosiveness, he's got the speed, he's got the savvy, and he has the work ethic,'' Baldwin said. ''Naturally, you just want to be close to someone like that because you know they can do anything they put their mind to.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's at least a chance Kearse ends up off the squad. He has zero dead money and would free up 2.5m of cap space as well as make more room for some of these younger guys that show some promise. I'm not saying I want him to go, but this team probably does need to still free up a little space on that cap and this is one guy that does that for them without killing them in positions of greater need.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm seeing things mostly like MKHawk. Graham is the only one worth a draft pick. If you get some injuries later on or need a bye week plug in, just wait to see who emerges from the rest as the best producer and pick 'em off the pile.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin = lock.
Lockett = lock (if not slot/#4-5 option, on kick returns alone).
Graham = lock.

After that, no idea. I hate how Lockett always draws flags but he does have some heat/passion in him. Kearse seems to go absent 90% of plays and then makes some deep catch, so I dunno. As for Matthews, we'll see but Seattle's concerns right now are consistency with Matthews. You don't want a guy showing up to some games and then taking other plays off... I heard Paul Richardson may be ready for the season as well.

Seattle's WR rotation is about as up in the air as their O-Line situation.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ricardo Lockette is very close to being a lock, Carroll loves him. I forget where i saw it but there was a video clip of Carroll saying watch Lockette right before a punt and then he was like "look at Lockette, Look at Lockette" the whole time with this huge smile on his face and excitement in his eyes. Lockette plays and try's hard. He seems to always be giving 110% and that's all you can ask from a guy like him. Dude is a stud in kickoff and punt coverage, one of the best i have ever seen on the Seahawks. He is also big for the amount of speed he puts out and can flat out blow people up even if he only hits them with a arm because of that speed.

He probably played the most i have ever seen him play in a game as a wr in the superbowl. He put up very good numbers but most only remember the one play. I hope he has a break out year. if anyone on the team deserves it from working hard it's him.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He definitely has value as a ST guy, but he caught -- what -- 10 passes last year? That's paltry, even on a team that is run heavy. If by close to being a lock you mean close to being pregnant -- which means not pregnant -- then I guess I agree with that. Going to be some tough decisions at WR this camp.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucky for Lockette, Carol puts a priority on special teams. He should find a place on this team just for that.