• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kawhi wants out of San Antonio

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end the Spurs will probably take less in order to keep him from the Lakers. The league will try to keep the Lakers down just like they did with CP3 and when PG wanted to be traded there.

The reason Stern stepped in wasn't because they wanted to keep the Lakers down. That would be incredibly stupid since the Lakers are the leagues glamour franchise.

The league stepped in for 2 reasons.

1. They owned the team and were trying to get top dollar for them in a sale. There was one star player involved in that trade and he would have been leaving which would drive down the value. They overstepped in doing so because they never should have been in that position. But from an "owner trying to make a sale" perspective, it was probably the right move.

2. Mark Cuban and Dan Gilbert cried like teenage girls over it because the trade would have also resulted in the Lakers lowering their luxury tax. For Gilbert, it meant his welfare check would have been less. For Cuban, he didn't want to see the Lakers back on top again.

Also, the league had nothing to do with PG not being traded to the Lakers. In fact, at the time, it looked like Indy had made a stupid trade and they were panned for it.

Then we saw what Oladipo and Sabonis, especially Oladipo, were able to do after getting out from under Westbrooks thumb. Now it look like they knew something no one else really did.

Or at least they can claim that they did now. lol

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason Stern stepped in wasn't because they wanted to keep the Lakers down. That would be incredibly stupid since the Lakers are the leagues glamour franchise.

The league stepped in for 2 reasons.

1. They owned the team and were trying to get top dollar for them in a sale. There was one star player involved in that trade and he would have been leaving which would drive down the value. They overstepped in doing so because they never should have been in that position. But from an "owner trying to make a sale" perspective, it was probably the right move.

2. Mark Cuban and Dan Gilbert cried like teenage girls over it because the trade would have also resulted in the Lakers lowering their luxury tax. For Gilbert, it meant his welfare check would have been less. For Cuban, he didn't want to see the Lakers back on top again.

Also, the league had nothing to do with PG not being traded to the Lakers. In fact, at the time, it looked like Indy had made a stupid trade and they were panned for it.

Then we saw what Oladipo and Sabonis, especially Oladipo, were able to do after getting out from under Westbrooks thumb. Now it look like they knew something no one else really did.

Or at least they can claim that they did now. lol

My law professor and I published a paper about how Stern way overstepped his bounds. That was a terrible conflict of interest. The reason for Demps was to set up a "chinese wall" to avoid such conflicts. and then they broke that bitch down the second it seemed inconvenient for them to abide by it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian grant Odom Caron Butler and a late first?

The kg trade is probably the best example.

Kyrie is better than anything minny got for KG. Kyrie Plus clipper pick and 27 blows away anything anyone else got.

No it doesn't. Kyrie is a FA next year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop it. What the Lakers got back wasn't peanuts...but it sure as hell wasn't very close to equal value.

I didn't say it was equal value. I don't think it is possible to get equal value when trading a superstar.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn't. Kyrie is a FA next year.

You’re in a fantasy world. No deal for a star got more than a Kyrie.

And you guys who were trying to defend the kyrie trade by saying boston could resign kyrie so the contract didn’t matter are now hypocrites.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re in a fantasy world. No deal for a star got more than a Kyrie.

And you guys who were trying to defend the kyrie trade by saying boston could resign kyrie so the contract didn’t matter are now hypocrites.

Are you talking the Celtics trade to get Kyrie or Kyrie being part of a deal for Kawhi?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My law professor and I published a paper about how Stern way overstepped his bounds. That was a terrible conflict of interest. The reason for Demps was to set up a "chinese wall" to avoid such conflicts. and then they broke that bitch down the second it seemed inconvenient for them to abide by it.

Yeah, that was always my issue. I understand it from an ownership perspective. But the whole point of setting it up the way they did was to avoid the appearance of the very conflict of interest that they ended up with.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say it was equal value. I don't think it is possible to get equal value when trading a superstar.

Then why even use it as an example? It was the very definition of trading a dollar for 4 quarters.

Yeah, unless you're trading a star for a star, you're not getting close to equal value.

Even at that, it might still not be equal value since there are different levels of stars.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spurs would be stupid to pass this up if it's offered, and Suns would be stupid to do it.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that was always my issue. I understand it from an ownership perspective. But the whole point of setting it up the way they did was to avoid the appearance of the very conflict of interest that they ended up with.

Exactly. It was an embarrassment all around.

And in hindsight the demps deal ended up solid.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who isn’t going after Kawhi? I heard Euroleague was offering him a 3 year $300 million contract. Third year is player option lol

It's just like the Lebron sweepstakes. Any team that can clear the cap space for him is likely to do so, even if they have no real chance of signing him or even getting a meeting.

With Kawhi, any team that thinks they can put together a package that the Spurs might even "almost consider thinking about" will be calling with their pitch.

When players like that become available, they have to, just to appease their fans.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking the Celtics trade to get Kyrie or Kyrie being part of a deal for Kawhi?

Both.

One can’t say the Celtics could just resign kyrie but not use that same logic for the spurs. Especially when we knew kyrie had knee issues during the trade.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name the last superstar trade where the team moving he star got fair value.

Kyrie alone is better than most of these teams end up doing. It is very hard to trade a Star in the nba. Usually your best bet is picks.

I agree that you never get fair value, but Kyrie straight up isn't even close. I would defintely prefer a package with a couple high picks or young talent in rookie deals like Ball and Ingram.

The problem is, teams like the Kings who have high picks to offer would be on crack to deal them for Kawhi. Kawhi isn't likely to resign in Sacramento.