• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kapernick's Offseason Workouts

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is great that Kap is looking to improve with film study with a guy like Kurt. This shows he is trying to better his progress. He didn't bother with this so much last season and it showed. I hope he shows some progress in this off season or he might just be the bust that many thinks he is...myself included.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is great that Kap is looking to improve with film study with a guy like Kurt. This shows he is trying to better his progress. He didn't bother with this so much last season and it showed. I hope he shows some progress in this off season or he might just be the bust that many thinks he is...myself included.

I think he experienced so much success so early that he became set in his ways and since the team kept winning it became a "if its not broke don't fix it" mentality. You can hear from numerous interviews with him and Harbaugh that they were really set in their ways and were just plain stubborn at times.

Him being humbled could be the best thing that ever happened to him and it sucked this year, but if it leads to him being a good/great franchise QB for the next 10+ years I think we'll all take it. It's not like there's anyone waiting in the wings to take over anyway.

I also like seeing that Patton, Ellington, and Miller are going there too.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he experienced so much success so early that he became set in his ways and since the team kept winning it became a "if its not broke don't fix it" mentality. You can hear from numerous interviews with him and Harbaugh that they were really set in their ways and were just plain stubborn at times.

Him being humbled could be the best thing that ever happened to him and it sucked this year, but if it leads to him being a good/great franchise QB for the next 10+ years I think we'll all take it. It's not like there's anyone waiting in the wings to take over anyway.

And Morton is gone too. :yahoo:

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bolded might be part of the issue here. Not having someone nipping at your heals for a job isn't the best motivational tool. The 9ers need to bring in a QB that can drive Kap to do better. Smith was the guy...Gabbart wasn't. Who's next for the second?:noidea:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded might be part of the issue here. Not having someone nipping at your heals for a job isn't the best motivational tool. The 9ers need to bring in a QB that can drive Kap to do better. Smith was the guy...Gabbart wasn't. Who's next for the second?:noidea:

Will respectfully disagree with you here Darken. Good QB's are inherent intense competitors and motivated to do well without external pressure. Look at Montana, until Steve Young came along in 1987, Montana's backups were career backups who were never a threat to take the job from him. That didn't prevent Montana from working hard and becoming real good. Steve Young talked about this the other day. Any QB who needs something external to motivate/push him to get better is probably never going to be very good. From what I've read of Kaepernick, he is real competitive and a hard worker. First to get to the facility and one of the last to leave. I don't think it is effort he is suffering from, rather it is concentrating on the right type of work to make himself better. Hopefully, he learns through this offseason what he needs to do to get better.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Garcia was publicly lobbying for this job at one point

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if they want Kaep to learn to make one read then immediately dump it off to the safety valve then, Garcia would be the guy.

Another fine column form a Cohn

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will respectfully disagree with you here Darken. Good QB's are inherent intense competitors and motivated to do well without external pressure. Look at Montana, until Steve Young came along in 1987, Montana's backups were career backups who were never a threat to take the job from him. That didn't prevent Montana from working hard and becoming real good. Steve Young talked about this the other day. Any QB who needs something external to motivate/push him to get better is probably never going to be very good. From what I've read of Kaepernick, he is real competitive and a hard worker. First to get to the facility and one of the last to leave. I don't think it is effort he is suffering from, rather it is concentrating on the right type of work to make himself better. Hopefully, he learns through this offseason what he needs to do to get better.

agree.

mechanics will help but too bad they can't simulate defensive reads. His struggles has been by far mental, not physical.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree.

mechanics will help but too bad they can't simulate defensive reads. His struggles has been by far mental, not physical.

I think his struggles this past year have been a combination of both. His accuracy has really suffered because of it. I am referring to the type of passes he has thrown accurately in the past. From the stories reported, he will be working on both aspects of his game

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The toughest part of this is not how fast he can learn but how fast can he assimilate what he has learned to the point that it would become second nature to him or being able to do it without thinking about it... It is not easy to unlearn years and years of bad habits in one off season... It's natural for someone to regress to what he has been used to once pressure is applied...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think his struggles this past year have been a combination of both. His accuracy has really suffered because of it. I am referring to the type of passes he has thrown accurately in the past. From the stories reported, he will be working on both aspects of his game

it is hard to work on the mental part off-season, the majority of improvements comes with game experience.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
it is hard to work on the mental part off-season, the majority of improvements comes with game experience.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Recognizing defensive formations and tendencies is based on off-field study. I would hope players do a lot of this in-season, but there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't/shouldn't also do this in the offseason. Implementing what you see on film can be somewhat tougher, but that's what 7-on-7s, drills, etc. are for. In terms of getting through progressions quickly, I agree that much of that has to be done on the field, but I don't think it's necessarily through game experience. A guy should be able to work on speeding up his progressions and improving his vision in practice.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure I agree with that. Recognizing defensive formations and tendencies is based on off-field study. I would hope players do a lot of this in-season, but there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't/shouldn't also do this in the offseason. Implementing what you see on film can be somewhat tougher, but that's what 7-on-7s, drills, etc. are for. In terms of getting through progressions quickly, I agree that much of that has to be done on the field, but I don't think it's necessarily through game experience. A guy should be able to work on speeding up his progressions and improving his vision in practice.

there is pre-snap and post snap.

in any case, how can on the job training, not be the best way to improve?

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe things looked great in practice? Since it's rare for starters to go against each other and our defense was decimated with injuries, our #1 O was probably going against nothing but the guys we signed off the street or the practice squad. Probably wasn't that hard to look good against them.

Also, with so many young or off the street guys getting in, Fangio probably kept things pretty basic to not overload them. Probably didn't give the O many look either.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with most of what you have posted. I know that Kap has a strong work ethic as well,just hasn't been guided to the correct methods. Your post made me think about this: Where are the 9er coaches to help this kid out? Why does a player need to get outside help to be a better player? Food for thought for me before I start bashing Kap about his attempt to be a better QB.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
there is pre-snap and post snap.

in any case, how can on the job training, not be the best way to improve?

Simple: in this case, the "on-the-job training" is very limited.

Let's say Kap drops back to pass 35 times a game (generously). I would expect in a typical practice that he would throw two to three times that many passes. So games are pretty abbreviated when all is said and done.

A given play in a game is very short, and cannot be repeated. You run the play and then you move on. You only have a handful of seconds to digest the play and think about it beforehand, and almost none to do so afterward. Maybe you have a chance to quickly look at defensive alignments, etc. when the defense is on the field. In practice, you have time to think about the play first, run it, and then, if necessary, run it again. You can talk to the coach immediately after a play so he can point out something you missed or suggest an area to work on.

Then, consider the environment before and after games. Before the game, you are getting warmed up, you are getting pumped up with your teammates, you are entering the stadium, listening to the national anthem, the coin toss, there are a lot of little distractions. After the game, you have the post-game team meeting, you have to do interviews with the media, half the time you have to get to a bus and then the airport. You're probably sore from getting hit, and distracted by the result of the game - whether a win or a loss. In practice, you can go over concepts before and after to address specific things and work on them. The external distractions are limited.

Now, I'm not saying that the experience of playing in actual games isn't extremely important. Of course it is. I recall Clyde and I had an argument a couple years ago as to whether a QB could really improve certain things at all during the regular season (I was arguing he could). There are also certain things that will never be fully replicated in a practice environment. However, is in-game experience the best way to improve? I don't think it is. I think practice is far more important, frankly.