• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kapernick's Offseason Workouts

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can agree with most of what you have posted. I know that Kap has a strong work ethic as well,just hasn't been guided to the correct methods. Your post made me think about this: Where are the 9er coaches to help this kid out? Why does a player need to get outside help to be a better player? Food for thought for me before I start bashing Kap about his attempt to be a better QB.

Under the current CBA, coaches aren't allowed to have any contact with players during this time of the offseason. All contact with coaches is tightly limited, these days. That said, I would have hoped Harbaugh or someone else would have talked to Kap and said, "Hey, maybe try a passing camp this offseason" over the past two years. I was pretty irritated when he went to the FL camp with Gore last year instead of a passing-intensive program.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the current CBA, coaches aren't allowed to have any contact with players during this time of the offseason. All contact with coaches is tightly limited, these days. That said, I would have hoped Harbaugh or someone else would have talked to Kap and said, "Hey, maybe try a passing camp this offseason" over the past two years. I was pretty irritated when he went to the FL camp with Gore last year instead of a passing-intensive program.
I know about that for sure but my original question still is who has been working with Kap to help him? Do the coaches stop helping during the season? I'm at the point with Kap as in "you can't fix stupid".At what point will he learn how to be a QB in the NFL?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know about that for sure but my original question still is who has been working with Kap to help him? Do the coaches stop helping during the season? I'm at the point with Kap as in "you can't fix stupid".At what point will he learn how to be a QB in the NFL?

Deep posted an article from the Mercury News about how player are not being taught... This could be one of those instances the article was referring to

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Obviously the coaches are working with him. But it's tough enough to get reports from the on-field portions of practice, much less the film review and other classroom work. I would really hope that Jim Harbaugh, former NFL QB that he was, would have a strong staff to address these things, but I just don't know. For our sake, I kind of hope he was dropping the ball in these areas, cause Kap sure wasn't progressing....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Darken, I was out most of yesterday and didn't get a chance to reply to your post from yesterday. You brought up things I was thinking about yesterday. Hard to know where the coaching staff is in all this. Did Harbaugh/Chryst encourage Kaepernick to seek QB in the offseason? If yes, Did kapernick not listen to them? We may never know the answers to those questions. But this coming season will be interesting to see how he performs after this offseason training. Whether his play really improves or stays the same might give you an insight into the answer.

Regarding your post above, I would suspect with game planning and other stuff going on, the coaches really can't do intensive training with the QBs that way. I suspect that type of work would happen from the summer mini camps thru the end of the preseason,

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
my opinion is Kaep is near his ceiling, so not the fault of coaching. you can only coach so much and then he has to pick it up on the field. I'd think there is a limit how much you can teach him at once, else he gets even more "bottled up" mentally?

you can only call certain pass plays to suit his strengths, which unfortunately is downfield requiring longer protection.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my opinion is Kaep is near his ceiling, so not the fault of coaching. you can only coach so much and then he has to pick it up on the field. I'd think there is a limit how much you can teach him at once, else he gets even more "bottled up" mentally?

you can only call certain pass plays to suit his strengths, which unfortunately is downfield requiring longer protection.

He was throwing to the backs more the last couple of games and throwing shorter routes. Throwing deep not only requires longer protection, but also requires receivers that can get separation or win battles against CBs physically. Our WRs other than Boldin have not been able to do that. Having a good deep threat WR also opens things up underneath. I don't know what Kaepernick's " ceiling : is. Hard to know when we don't know how he was coached and how he will respond to this training. Both Steve Young and Brent Jones have stated that he needs to spend a ton of time reviewing film.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He was throwing to the backs more the last couple of games and throwing shorter routes. Throwing deep not only requires longer protection, but also requires receivers that can get separation or win battles against CBs physically. Our WRs other than Boldin have not been able to do that. Having a good deep threat WR also opens things up underneath. I don't know what Kaepernick's " ceiling : is. Hard to know when we don't know how he was coached and how he will respond to this training. Both Steve Young and Brent Jones have stated that he needs to spend a ton of time reviewing film.

put it this way..........say he's a 2nd tier NFL QB, do you think his ceiling is 1st tier NFL QB?

forget he didn't play like a 2nd tier QB, and don't get nit picky on 2nd and 1st tiers. The gist of this is whether you think he will take the next step up? Will he reach the same level as Luck, Rodgers, or whomever else you think is 1st tier?

IMO no, he can improve some but he will not reach the top tier of NFL QB's, that's what I mean by 'already reaching his ceiling'.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't think Kap's strength is downfield. He's at his best on mid-range stuff over the middle, or comebacks on the edges. In those situations, he can use his elite arm strength to get the ball there before the defender. He's frankly poor on longer balls that require more touch.

And even if he is at or near his ceiling - which I don't necessarily buy - it is still incumbent upon a coach to get what you can out of a player. I don't feel the coaches did that this season. Hell, I think the coaches are at least partially to blame for two offseasons at athlete camps rather than passing camps.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
put it this way..........say he's a 2nd tier NFL QB, do you think his ceiling is 1st tier NFL QB?

forget he didn't play like a 2nd tier QB, and don't get nit picky on 2nd and 1st tiers. The gist of this is whether you think he will take the next step up? Will he reach the same level as Luck, Rodgers, or whomever else you think is 1st tier?

IMO no, he can improve some but he will not reach the top tier of NFL QB's, that's what I mean by 'already reaching his ceiling'.

Not really sure what the relevance of that consideration is. He won't be an elite QB, likely first ballot HOFer, so he's hit his ceiling? I don't see that. He's got PLENTY of room to improve to be a good QB without hitting the level of those guys.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is hard to work on the mental part off-season, the majority of improvements comes with game experience.

Where do you get that from? FWIW, Steve Young believes that much of the learning has to be done in the off-season. However, Steve Young would agree with you that it is hard. I guess that much is obvious. Here's a small part of the interview:

"Is that why you think so much of this has to be learned in the offseason?

SY: It has to be because like a fire hose, you’ve got to take it and then you take it in again. You’ve got take it in again. And then you’ve got to take it in again. And it’s boring. I mean, who wants to look at all the coverages and talk about what we do on each play based on each coverage? And about what motion does to the coverage, and how read safeties from the beginning of the snap and follow them, and how protections limit what you can do here or there …

(Former 49ers offensive coordinator) Mike Shanahan used to drive me crazy and I was in mid-career. I’d say ‘Mike, I can’t take it any more. I’m a guy that went to law school, I’m used to this stuff, but I can’t do it any more.’ He’d say, ‘C’mon, one more time. One more time.’ And we’d go through it again. But I know, looking back, that’s how it gets done. Peyton Manning, you look at his physical abilities, there are a lot of things that are middle of the road. But his mastery of the data allows him to be ahead. I love watching him because he throws the ball so proactively. You watch him throw it and you’re like ‘Where is that headed and it’s ba-bam.’ It’s a mastery. It’s really like an advanced degree in medicine or in law.

I think when you look at the quarterback position, and this mastery of the craft we talk about, it really is an advanced degree. It’s like going to med school, or law school, or getting your PH.D. It really is that type of educational effort, on the field and off the field. On the chalkboard and in the film room. I can say it because I got my law degree. It really is similar to the intellectual rigor, but it’s not just an IQ thing. People say ‘Well, I can’t be doctor,’ and I’m like ‘No, no, no.’ But in this field, it’s rigorous like that."

San Francisco 49ers News ? Niner Insider Blog » Steve Young and the art of molding a mobile quarterback

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a great move by Kap. If he can learn to be a better pocket passer in the 11 weeks and even take some of Warner's insight with him, this will help big time