• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's tattoos

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think Florio hits it on the head when talking about the original author's motivation. AOL/Sporting News is a thing of the past and they know it. Writing something so controversial draws some much needed attention. "Any publicity is good publicity" type thing.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Florio hits it on the head when talking about the original author's motivation. AOL/Sporting News is a thing of the past and they know it. Writing something so controversial draws some much needed attention. "Any publicity is good publicity" type thing.

Yep, and it doesn't mention how Kaep had a 4.0 in high school and the tattoos are bible verses. Stephen A. Smith pointed that out but kind of said that while he doesn't think it means anything negative about Kaep, people with tattoos, white or black or hispanic or whatever, must understand that this aversion to tattoos isn't going to change and often those who have those prejudices are going to be in control of your future. He says that appearance matters and that he wouldn't be where he is if he had tattoos all over his body (at least visible).

He says that athletes can get away with it, but people who watch them and aren't athletes or rappers or whatnot, will emulate them when they, in fact, can't get away with it. People need to look at who they are, who they are trying to impress, and see whether it's smart to make a semi-permanent change to their appearance that may affect their employablity. They mentioned how Alex Smith, the ultimate good guy, has a tattoo celebrating his grandmother. So the biases are wrong and while some people have racist beliefs, it affects all races, as all races have notable people with tattoos who have to overcome the prejudices, i.e. Birdman in Denver.

Some people who are unstable get tattoos, some people who are criminals get tattoos, some people that are druggies get tattoos, some people who are outcasts in society get tattoos - BUT some people who are perfectly normal, perfectly law-abiding, competent at their job, loving to their family, have tattoos; so judging someone by the cover (which is all skin really is), is terrible, but a very alive thing in today's society. You can be real without tattooing yourself, so you have to look at the pros and cons of your actions, taking the world as it is, not how it should be.

BTW, I have no problems with tattoos and I try to not be affected, good or bad, by others appearance (dressing in a suit to court, wearing a uniform when it's required, normal grooming of oneself, is a different matter - if I'm hiring someone, it matters, but otherwise as long as I don't have to smell you (other than homeless people who can't shower), I'm fine).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I agree the article was stupid but I didn't take it as a race thing.

It sounded like his problems were with just the appearance of tattoos and looking like a thug then it was the color of the person with the tattoos.

I think you have a generation gap where you have the older folks that view people with tattoos as trash, thugs, and low class.

Then with the younger generation tattoos have become normal for anyone to get and now it's almost a style and not viewed upon as being high or low class.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't ya'll know Peyton Manning rocks a "I heart Vols" tat on his chest????????

(jk)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol it's so funny to me that people still stereotype tattoos as an exclusive to thugs thing. It must suck living in a bubble.

I remember my surprise after crossing paths with this guy, and finding out he's a teacher at the University of New Mexico.
bruce_potts.jpg

I wonder what Whitley would think of this. :ipw:
4ptdvd.jpg

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol those girls would all be hot without the tats. I actually think tats can make girls hot, gives them a little edge but it isn't by any means a necessity for me.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to laugh. I knew immediately when I started reading it that just because he thinks these ridiculous tattoos send a negative impression of the person that he would hear the shrill cries of "racist" ringing in his ears. Well, I got news for ya folks, for people of my generation, in other words, people doing the hiring, it does send a bad impression.

I loved his response to being called a racist though. He said "My two adopted African American daughters, if they were old enough to read, would be very disappointed to learn that I am a racist". Well done Mr. Whitley, you tell 'em.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
view;_ylt=A0PDoS9DMLlQ534ASyaJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n

Damn the pic didn't work. She was huge! lol

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol those girls would all be hot without the tats. I actually think tats can make girls hot, gives them a little edge but it isn't by any means a necessity for me.

I'd agree with both of those assessments.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
lol it's so funny to me that people still stereotype tattoos as an exclusive to thugs thing. It must suck living in a bubble.

FWIW, it wasn't all that long ago someone with a sleeve of tats was *widely* considered a fringe character. Iverson had a pretty shocking look about 15 years ago.....so its not like this is some very old notion.

Some people don't associate with tattooed people outside of watching sports. My dad still thinks its weird, he's retired and lives in a nice town, but not like he's some hermit.

The line is always moving....I'd still say anyone with a neck tattoo is asking to be judged wrongly or misunderstood, but even that in a few years will probably be considered normal enough.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, it wasn't all that long ago someone with a sleeve of tats was *widely* considered a fringe character. Iverson had a pretty shocking look about 15 years ago.....so its not like this is some very old notion.

Some people don't associate with tattooed people outside of watching sports. My dad still thinks its weird, he's retired and lives in a nice town, but not like he's some hermit.

The line is always moving....I'd still say anyone with a neck tattoo is asking to be judged wrongly or misunderstood, but even that in a few years will probably be considered normal enough.

Or a tramp stamp.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this story a little while ago,,,,I read it,,,,the guy is a boob and should just keep quiet he made himself look like an idiot

as for the tats,,,,I don't like them but it's not my place to judge someone over the damned things,the botton line if Collin can live with them so can I

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No matter how you twist it an outdated stereotype is an outdated stereotype. It's ridiculous. And why do people assume prisoner instead of marine? Just as many marines have tattoos to represent their lifestyle. Maybe it's a Māori, they are known for tattoos.

what about the rock? whats thug to you is keeping tradition and culture alive to him.
db_dwayne-meaning4.jpg

I don't know, I've never in my life seen a tattooed person and felt afraid or uneasy with assumptions of them being bad people. Then again my grandparents and many adults in my family had tattoos. As i grew up i never saw any reason to associate it with negativity.

You don't have to be a hermit to live in a bubble though.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's so true. I remember when a sleeve was shocking to people. Now every other person has one. I'm actually planning on half a sleeve myself.

As for the tatts, I personally have a bunch of them but all can be hidden if need be. I do think people who get their necks/faces tatted are pushing it, though.