• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernicks Football IQ

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my opinion is that we keep expecting/hoping Kaep to take two steps up, but what we're seeing now is close to his ceiling. Kaep isn't a rookie, having started since end of 2012, so if he had more intangibles it would've showed by now.

not saying he is worthless and needs to go, he is a good QB but not a 'top tier' one. he will not become a top tier NFL QB coaching or no coaching. intangibles are from within the player, so Coaching, play calling, better teammates, can only help so much.

He doesn't need to be top tier to win. Look at the last 2 super bowl QBs(Wilson and Flacco.)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One thing has also been consistent though...Greg Roman.

You can't possibly watch games like the one yesterday and not notice a clear difference in how different the looks are for each QB. How many tough throws did Alex have to make?

This offense is a grind. When we pass the ball very rarely do we get guys wide open. You say intangibles are from within the player. What intangibles do you look for in a QB that you think Colin doesn't have?

Did Steve Young have the intangibles?

Steve Young definitely had a lot of intangibles, it didn't show right off the bat, but it didn't take two years.

"When we pass the ball very rarely do we get guys wide open."...is this due to play calling? [sorry, couldn't help myself]

no, we do get guys open but Colin doesn't always see them. we've read articles on this granted I don't save them for these instances.

again, not saying Colin doesn't have any at all, but he doesn't have enough intangibles to be a top tier QB. He isn't consistent in seeing plays unfold, and going to the right guy. he can't 'throw a receiver open', and why he hangs on longer. even when he does have good pass protect, he isn't consistent in finding the right receiver.

where this comes up the clearest is in the red zone, Colin just cannot pass in tighter spaces. this is why Roman doesn't call many pass plays unless it is on the far ends. His strength is arm strength and why he can look great between the 20's.

When he buys time and scrambles out of the pocket doesn't hit a receiver scrambling open. Colin runs out of bounds or throws the ball away. This is what makes Wilson so dangerous, when he scrambles out of the pocket, he will make a play.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He doesn't need to be top tier to win. Look at the last 2 super bowl QBs(Wilson and Flacco.)

ok, so you're admitting he is 2nd tier. my point is made.

how often is the defense going to win games for us? when is Colin and the offense going to win games for us?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

how often is the defense going to win games for us? when is Colin and the offense going to win games for us?

There are only 3 top tier QBs(Payton, Rogers and Brady and to be honest he might be 1 below now). Brees dropped down. I mean Big ben and Eli are not top tier Qbs and they both have 2 super bowls.

Kap being a 2nd tier Qb is fine.

Genus49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Young definitely had a lot of intangibles, it didn't show right off the bat, but it didn't take two years.

"When we pass the ball very rarely do we get guys wide open."...is this due to play calling? [sorry, couldn't help myself]

no, we do get guys open but Colin doesn't always see them. we've read articles on this granted I don't save them for these instances.

again, not saying Colin doesn't have any at all, but he doesn't have enough intangibles to be a top tier QB. He isn't consistent in seeing plays unfold, and going to the right guy. he can't 'throw a receiver open', and why he hangs on longer. even when he does have good pass protect, he isn't consistent in finding the right receiver.

where this comes up the clearest is in the red zone, Colin just cannot pass in tighter spaces. this is why Roman doesn't call many pass plays unless it is on the far ends. His strength is arm strength and why he can look great between the 20's.

When he buys time and scrambles out of the pocket doesn't hit a receiver scrambling open. Colin runs out of bounds or throws the ball away. This is what makes Wilson so dangerous, when he scrambles out of the pocket, he will make a play.

Steve Young didn't start most of the season til about his 7th season in the NFL....or I should say most of the season with the 49ers considering he was horrible with Tampa Bay early in his career and not doing anything great in the USFL either. So coaching absolutely helps make good players great and great players elite.

I wish you did save those articles...I'd love to see them. If it's some fan taking still shots of a play and saying "There this guy is open" then I'm sorry but you'll have to do better than that.

All you have to do is watch football outside of the 49ers to see some good playcalling out there. Teams move their guys around to confuse the defense and give their QB easy throws. The whole 1 read QB thing is a joke anyways but when you design a play to get your first read open then you shouldn't need to look elsewhere.

As for what you claim Colin doesn't do consistently..

What gives you the idea he's not consistent about seeing plays unfold? I don't understand how you can make that statement with some actual proof and sounds like hearsay.

What's going to the right guy? Wanna tell me how you know who the right guy is on each play? If you can I'll be pretty impressed. Is the right guy who you think is open? Does he miss the right guy when he completes the pass for a big play?

He can't throw a receiver open...ok maybe that's a valid gripe but that takes a lot of faith by the QB and something like that has to be included in the playcalling. I didn't see Alex throwing guys open in this offense either. To me that's a skill not really an intangible. But whatever...in either case it's hard to fault a guy if we haven't seen him attempt it as no way to know if it's a coaching thing or not.

Our offense as a whole struggles in the redzone. Colin can make the short throws...like I said look back to the Arizona game. Our playcalling is just not very inspired when we don't have a lot of field to work with. You want to blame that on the QB but IIRC we had similar redzone issues with Alex who is the king of the short stuff.

Genus49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You realize technically in both the Superbowl and the NFCCG you can make a strong argument the defense lost us the game.

In the Superbowl Colin played great. Sure the possible game winning TD drive stalled but when your defense can't stop the other team it's hard to pin the loss on the QB.

In the NFCCG Colin was really the only reason the 49ers were in the game at the end. No running game and after the early lead it was the defense who couldn't make the plays.

...yes I'm being somewhat unfair but so are you by pretending Colin is somehow a game manager who just rides the coattails of the defense.

You'll never see this offense take the next step or see Colin become a top flight QB under Greg Roman. Will not happen.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You realize technically in both the Superbowl and the NFCCG you can make a strong argument the defense lost us the game.

In the Superbowl Colin played great. Sure the possible game winning TD drive stalled but when your defense can't stop the other team it's hard to pin the loss on the QB.

In the NFCCG Colin was really the only reason the 49ers were in the game at the end. No running game and after the early lead it was the defense who couldn't make the plays.

...yes I'm being somewhat unfair but so are you by pretending Colin is somehow a game manager who just rides the coattails of the defense.
You'll never see this offense take the next step or see Colin become a top flight QB under Greg Roman. Will not happen.

no, I said I'm ok with Kaep and I've posted this about 10 times. the point I am trying to make now is that he isn't an elite QB, and that we shouldn't expect he'll become one.

if you're 'arguing' to me he IS an elite QB, or will become one, we can carry on? Else what point are YOU trying to make?

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tier 1 is Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees. These are the only TRUE elite QBs in the NFL. Luck and others have a chance to be elite in the future but arent there yet.

Genus49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, I said I'm ok with Kaep and I've posted this about 10 times. the point I am trying to make now is that he isn't an elite QB, and that we shouldn't expect he'll become one.

if you're 'arguing' to me he IS an elite QB, or will become one, we can carry on? Else what point are YOU trying to make?

I don't see a reason why he cannot be an elite QB. He's not right now but Drew Brees or Tom Brady weren't elite at this point in their careers either.

Not everyone jumps out playing at an all pro level and certainly we won't see him putting up elite level QB numbers in this offense.

Whatever happens this season I expect a change to our offensive coordinator at the least.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen Kaep throw WRs open before not many times tho and I have seen him thread the needle with the football and throw into windows that most QBs couldnt.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry 49ers fans, Jim Harbaugh said Kaepernick is 'Great with a Big G.' He doesn't know why everyone doesn't see it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been trying to make excuses for him for the past couple of seasons, but damn. I know we won, I wont try to be a downer, I just want to state the obvious.
He's not to intelligent on the field. How often is he going to lose track of the play clock at a crucial point of the game? This is getting ridiculous now.
Then why would he waste a time out from the 50 yard line, after trying to draw the other team offsides? It seems like he didn't even watch football on tv while growing up.

Its just frustrating as a die hard fan to see such sloppy qb play.

yeah and you're not alone.

not that he needed a lot of excuses, but you can see he doesn't have enough intangibles. he can play NFL QB alright, just not at a high enough level to be consistently good. Against a good D, it obviously shows up more.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't worry 49ers fans, Jim Harbaugh said Kaepernick is 'Great with a Big G.' He doesn't know why everyone doesn't see it.

no HC can criticize his players in public, why is that hard to see?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap had a bad game but stop with the trading Kap stuff. Most of the blame is on Roman. He doesn't put his players in the best position to win a ball game. Kap is fine.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those fretting about Colin Kaepernick's big deal -remember, only $13M of supposed "$126M deal" is guaranteed. 11% of it.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap had a bad game but stop with the trading Kap stuff. Most of the blame is on Roman. He doesn't put his players in the best position to win a ball game. Kap is fine.

It's note solely on Kap, but his accuracy is less to be desired. To say Kap is fine is ridiculous. He struggled against the Giants and the Redskins. He has not shown any progress on his reads and I truly question his football IQ.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a qb! Trust me, I know football, #7 isn't a good qb. Harbaugh neefs to take him with them and go.
:yield:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a qb! Trust me, I know football, #7 isn't a good qb. Harbaugh neefs to take him with them and go.
:yield:

Steve Young knows football, too, and he thinks that Kaepernick can be great. The question is does the Niners organization have the patience to see it through, which will include having to absorb some bad games along the way like yesterday's game. Young thinks it will take 3 to 4 years to mold a mobile quarterback into a top flight pocket passer. I've got to think that the Niners are trying to follow this plan because I can't think of any other reason why Colin isn't running more except that he is being told not to do so.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Young knows football, too, and he thinks that Kaepernick can be great. The question is does the Niners organization have the patience to see it through, which will include having to absorb some bad games along the way like yesterday's game. Young thinks it will take 3 to 4 years to mold a mobile quarterback into a top flight pocket passer. I've got to think that the Niners are trying to follow this plan because I can't think of any other reason why Colin isn't running more except that he is being told not to do so.

Being a great player doesnt mean you are a good scout. Kaep doesnt have what it takes at this position.