• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernicks Football IQ

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't say in the draft but that could be a possibility. With Blaine and Josh as the back-ups...yes the 9ers need to look elsewhere for a viable QB. Just posting for myself here but I feel that maybe Kap will benefit by having another QB snapping at his heels. I understand that the play calling has been shit but he needs to manage the time clock better....how many times has that clock gone down to 1 or 2 seconds? Was the play not called in? I really doubt that on every occassion. He still can't read a defense, figure out how to throw it out of bounds rather then to run for a loss, and let's not forget that he can't follow beyond his first target most of the time. He will be the 9er's QB for the season for sure but his progress as a QB will need to get a whole lot better. Three games in and I'm just not seeing it.

yes, this is the biggest concern for Kaep, his progress we expected more improvement following the 2012 (not a typo), but so far it hasn't been much. yes, he needs help from everybody else including Coaches, so it isn't ALL on him.

IMO he isn't playing much differently than 2012?

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boone and Ipuati have been less than stellar so far. That being said I can agree that I feel that Kap is nothing more than a marionette of this failed 9ers offensive plan. The only thing that saved this game was running the ball....nothing to do with Kap's playing skills and never really will be...Time to take a look into 2015 for a QB IMO.

Couldn't agree more.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick makes mistakes but I wouldnt go so far to say we need to take a QB in 2015. To me Kaepernick is still in the top 10-15 range at QB. Yeah he makes mistakes and bad passes and a lot of QBs do. I think his running ability and the way he gets the ball into tight windows makes up for it.

The fact that everyone can see that Kaep has no football IQ to play the position, calling him a top 10- 15 range QB is a matter of opinion. I would go as far as calling it a homer opinion even though you could debate your stance. I can name 15 QBs I rather have over him but it would just be my preference.

A lot of people keep bringing up his running ability but if you pay closer attention, you will see what I see. I see him getting ran down by defensive linemen like its nobodies business! He does not look like the guy who took over for Alex Smith once upon a time. His running ability is not a huge factor IMO...

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep has run for 50+ yards in each of the last three games, averaging 7.1, 4.5, 8.3 a carry. Not sure how you can say his running ability is not a factor?

Either way, I think Kaepernick is NOT a regular QB. And I feel like the niners are forcing him to be something he is not. He is best on the run, outside the pocket, with options. Why are we forcing him into the pocket? Because that is the traditional role I guess. I just don't see any kind of improvement in the pocket at all, and I think the more we are forcing this only-pocket-passer role he's not going to improve. Something's gotta give but I think Kaep's big play ability and ability to keep plays alive do make him special. He's NEVER going to look like Rodgers/Manning etc, but that's okay with me. I really don't see that many QBs I would take over Kaep. Being a QB in the NFL is very difficult, we should be grateful we even have a QB we can call "decent." After the decade we had with horrific QBs, I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Kaep and call for reaching in the next draft. We are 2-2 and Kaep has never even missed the NFC CG, let alone the playoffs. I'm not sure we are all remembering how rare that is.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap is still a top 10 QB. We are fine at the QB position. We just need to run our offense. Pound the football and then play action.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kap is still a top 10 QB. We are fine at the QB position. We just need to run our offense. Pound the football and then play action.

We do need to be better at passing, but Kap is only part of the issue. PP by the o-line has been poor and I suspect (hard to see on TV) that too often receivers are not getting open.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do need to be better at passing, but Kap is only part of the issue. PP by the o-line has been poor and I suspect (hard to see on TV) that too often receivers are not getting open.

The problem is our top 4 WR are all kind of a like. They are position receivers. ellington is our speed but doesn't see much time. Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson and Lloyd are the same in a way. Boldin having the best hands of the bunch but all 3 have good hands.

Kap will never be Brees, Payton, Rogers are Brady. In my opinion he is better then any of the running QB's with better arm then all of them. Kap makes plays that almost no one in the league can make. Example the Gore or Johnson TD's. Like any QB he makes mistakes. Remember last week every on was talking about Cutler and BOOM cutler breaks down. It happens.

Stick with the running game and we will be fine.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that everyone can see that Kaep has no football IQ to play the position, calling him a top 10- 15 range QB is a matter of opinion. I would go as far as calling it a homer opinion even though you could debate your stance. I can name 15 QBs I rather have over him but it would just be my preference.

A lot of people keep bringing up his running ability but if you pay closer attention, you will see what I see. I see him getting ran down by defensive linemen like its nobodies business! He does not look like the guy who took over for Alex Smith once upon a time. His running ability is not a huge factor IMO...

You would have to dig deep to name 15, and you would have to name several QB's who have a lower career passer rating than Kaep.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no way I can come up with 15 better QBs that I would want on this team.

If we are going by age Kap might be top 7 but lets go with overall and who u would pick right now

Rogers
Ryan
payton
Brady
Brees
Wilson(I still think the d is the main reason for seattle.)

that's about it. Luck hasn't done much, Rivers 1st good year in awhile, Romo chokes and has been 8-8 for the last 3 years, Dalton makes a lot o mistakes, Flacco is a good home QB, Stafford all the weapons and all I have to say is 4-12 last year. RG3 and Cam are nothing special. Give me kap all day long against these guys. Again my opinion.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the week winds up to the next game it's time for me step off of Kap's nuts and see if he can do better. I can only say this one thing: I'm a fan of the 49ers....a Faithful. I'm also a fan of some of the players but I'm not going to homer this season when I see bad plays.calls, etc. In other words ,a player or coach who isn't giving it 100% or just doesn't have what it takes to get it done will and should be called out for debate. Okay ,I'll shut up now! :suds:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaep has run for 50+ yards in each of the last three games, averaging 7.1, 4.5, 8.3 a carry. Not sure how you can say his running ability is not a factor?

Either way, I think Kaepernick is NOT a regular QB. And I feel like the niners are forcing him to be something he is not. He is best on the run, outside the pocket, with options. Why are we forcing him into the pocket? Because that is the traditional role I guess. I just don't see any kind of improvement in the pocket at all, and I think the more we are forcing this only-pocket-passer role he's not going to improve. Something's gotta give but I think Kaep's big play ability and ability to keep plays alive do make him special. He's NEVER going to look like Rodgers/Manning etc, but that's okay with me. I really don't see that many QBs I would take over Kaep. Being a QB in the NFL is very difficult, we should be grateful we even have a QB we can call "decent." After the decade we had with horrific QBs, I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Kaep and call for reaching in the next draft. We are 2-2 and Kaep has never even missed the NFC CG, let alone the playoffs. I'm not sure we are all remembering how rare that is.

that is how it is in the NFL, mostly pocket passing. can't see us calling more passes from roll-outs?

big play ability after he scrambles out of the pocket? from a called play? big play meaning getting 1st downs, or getting 15-20 yards?

agree he isn't the worse and we're good for now. getting a better QB than Kaep is easier said than done.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is how it is in the NFL, mostly pocket passing. can't see us calling more passes from roll-outs?

big play ability after he scrambles out of the pocket? from a called play? big play meaning getting 1st downs, or getting 15-20 yards?

agree he isn't the worse and we're good for now. getting a better QB than Kaep is easier said than done.

Look how many teams are still trying to find a qb after trying and trying…..Houston, Tenn, Jack, Rams, Jets, Raiders, Minn and so on and so on. We have a franchise QB and a proven QB that wins. Thats all I can ask. I think this year he is doing a much better going through his reads. He does need to improve game and clock management. thats the next step I hope.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Look how many teams are still trying to find a qb after trying and trying…..Houston, Tenn, Jack, Rams, Jets, Raiders, Minn and so on and so on. We have a franchise QB and a proven QB that wins. Thats all I can ask. I think this year he is doing a much better going through his reads. He does need to improve game and clock management. thats the next step I hope.

Agreed totally. Always amazed when peeps are ready to throw Kap or Harbs under the bus with their track record. Room for improvement? Sure. Solid? Absolutely.

I am getting a little bit optimistic. We are 2-2 after what I think is pretty bad play. If we can pull it together more from here on out, we could be good. But we better improve, we could have lost 1 or even both of those games.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been trying to make excuses for him for the past couple of seasons, but damn. I know we won, I wont try to be a downer, I just want to state the obvious.
He's not to intelligent on the field. How often is he going to lose track of the play clock at a crucial point of the game? This is getting ridiculous now.
Then why would he waste a time out from the 50 yard line, after trying to draw the other team offsides? It seems like he didn't even watch football on tv while growing up.

Its just frustrating as a die hard fan to see such sloppy qb play.
Kaepernick has great natural athletic ability but he is as dumb as a stump.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

your opinion is fine, but mine is.......he isn't a franchise QB. "proven' and 'wins' is somewhat true, but keep in mind the quality of team he's been QB'ing. back before 2012 we were hoping he'd progress towards his ceiling, but so far he isn't much higher than what Alex Smith would've done. higher yes, but not much higher.

anyway, the gist is true, we could be worse.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your opinion is fine, but mine is.......he isn't a franchise QB. "proven' and 'wins' is somewhat true, but keep in mind the quality of team he's been QB'ing. back before 2012 we were hoping he'd progress towards his ceiling, but so far he isn't much higher than what Alex Smith would've done. higher yes, but not much higher.

anyway, the gist is true, we could be worse.

I look at the proof in the pudding and in the playoffs he has come through. He is the main reason why we have gone so far in the playoffs. He has had 3-4 great games already. With out him in the super bowl it would of been like this past years super bowl were Denver got blown out. Look what he did against seattle and what Payton did. Kap was 1 play away from winning. Payton was 40 plays away from winning.

Kap is just fine and he is 100% a franchise QB. I respect your opinion u know that but I just don't get it and I guess that is fine.

Lets Go 49ers.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick has great natural athletic ability but he is as dumb as a stump.

I wouldn't talk about dumb as a stump, u are stuck with Romo and Jerry. Both dumb as hell (football terms).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I look at the proof in the pudding and in the playoffs he has come through. He is the main reason why we have gone so far in the playoffs. He has had 3-4 great games already. With out him in the super bowl it would of been like this past years super bowl were Denver got blown out. Look what he did against seattle and what Payton did. Kap was 1 play away from winning. Payton was 40 plays away from winning.

Kap is just fine and he is 100% a franchise QB. I respect your opinion u know that but I just don't get it and I guess that is fine.

Lets Go 49ers.

again, keep in mind he's been QB'ing a SB quality TEAM since end of 2012........with or without him.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been trying to make excuses for him for the past couple of seasons, but damn. I know we won, I wont try to be a downer, I just want to state the obvious.
He's not to intelligent on the field. How often is he going to lose track of the play clock at a crucial point of the game? This is getting ridiculous now.
Then why would he waste a time out from the 50 yard line, after trying to draw the other team offsides? It seems like he didn't even watch football on tv while growing up.

Its just frustrating as a die hard fan to see such sloppy qb play.

Only read this post then replied, so I don't know what else has been posted, but the bolded line strikes a chord I've noticed for a while.

I think there's a pretty big difference between learning a game from the perspective of someone playing it since they were a kid up through college, at some point dedicating their lives to it, and those of us who watch from the couch, where we always get the best view of the defense presnap, always get a replay of the last play, and always get to hear the instant analysis from the guys in the booth.

I watch a ton of baseball on tv during the season and I'll tell you I've learned so much more through the broadcasts about pitch selection, when to be patient/aggressive at the plate, and the general feel for the entire game as a whole than I ever did as a player. The perspective is just completely different.

So, as fans it's easy to judge and point fingers at obvious mistakes, but it's hard to remember we never had to practice those extra 4-5 hours a day, missing the game on tv for years in order to become professional athletes. It's just different.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, keep in mind he's been QB'ing a SB quality TEAM since end of 2012........with or without him.

Yes he has and he has done his part to make them a SB quality team. Think about it he has gone to more NFC championship games then Brees and Saints has had a SB quality for the last 7-8 years. Yes I know Brees won one my point is their are many QBs that have a SB quality team and haven't gone to 2 straight NFC championship games(3 overall 1 by Smith). Look at Romo 8-8 every year with the talent Dallas has, Stafford 4-12 with the talent on the Lions, Luck choking in Indy in the playoffs, Cam finally making the playoffs and now they suck.

Its hard to keep it going and he is doing it. Kap is fine. Is he the best NO but he is a lot better then most.