• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's Contract Guaranteed

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick’s salary cap figure is expected to be $15.891 million after his $11.9 million base salary is added to various roster bonuses. It’s expected that his contract would be re-worked to accommodate a trade. San Francisco would be faced with $7,397,260 in dead money if Kaepernick were traded and get $8,493,493 in cap savings.

oh ok, his cap hit is near $16M, and no wonder other teams want it lower. He isn't worth $15.89M.

Yea, he isn't worth that much maybe he can lower it down to 10 or 12.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yea, he isn't worth that much maybe he can lower it down to 10 or 12.

If he REALLY wants out, then he'll lower it. But at this point it appears his agent is going to force the 49ers hand? So either Denver or SF cracks first.

i know there is risk by holding to our trade request, but i'm ok with it. At worse case Kaep stays and "tries out" Kelly's offense, maybe he'll even like what it offers? Even though Kaep doesn't want to play in SF, he can't hold out, or purposely play 'bad'. He needs to think about NEXT off-season and who might still be interested? As is, his value isn't considered high, and next season it'll go even lower. The only way he can up it, is play well again.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It makes sense that Cleveland inquired, but it also makes sense they don't need to go hard after Kaep. They need a veteran to play THIS season, but not expend (draft picks and cap) a lot getting him. They have a bad team and know it'll take more than this season.

Denver needs Kaep because their window is NOW, and he's the best one left. Actually, Kaep isn't a FA, so this class was especially weak at QB. Kaep is the best one left, imagine that?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes sense that Cleveland inquired, but it also makes sense they don't need to go hard after Kaep. They need a veteran to play THIS season, but not expend (draft picks and cap) a lot getting him. They have a bad team and know it'll take more than this season.

Denver needs Kaep because their window is NOW, and he's the best one left. Actually, Kaep isn't a FA, so this class was especially weak at QB. Kaep is the best one left, imagine that?

I'm not sure that is true. Fitzgerald showed plenty last year and is still on the market. If the Jets push him away too much maybe he signs a 1-year prove it deal with the Broncos for the Jets messing around too much. RG3 in my opinion has just as much upside as that of Kaepernick and won't cost the Broncos a draft pick so again if the 49ers push too hard for a higher draft pick the Broncos have plenty of other options. They could also decide they like a guy or two in the draft and decide to go that way once again leaning on the defense and telling the rookie just don't go out and turn the ball over. Saves them cap space and can use the draft pick they were going to give San Fran on that player or use it to trade up and get the QB they want. So really at this point both San Fran and the Broncos have options and can wait it out to see what the other one will do.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure that is true. Fitzgerald showed plenty last year and is still on the market. If the Jets push him away too much maybe he signs a 1-year prove it deal with the Broncos for the Jets messing around too much. RG3 in my opinion has just as much upside as that of Kaepernick and won't cost the Broncos a draft pick so again if the 49ers push too hard for a higher draft pick the Broncos have plenty of other options. They could also decide they like a guy or two in the draft and decide to go that way once again leaning on the defense and telling the rookie just don't go out and turn the ball over. Saves them cap space and can use the draft pick they were going to give San Fran on that player or use it to trade up and get the QB they want. So really at this point both San Fran and the Broncos have options and can wait it out to see what the other one will do.

Yes, both sides have options because this is the job of management, to have options. But there are better options than others, so while Fitz is an option, is it a realistic one? RGIII is an option for SF too, but is it a realistic one?

IMO a deal will get done between Denver and SF. If i'm wrong, not a 'disaster' if Kaep stays in SF. Not what i want, but not a disaster. Who knows, maybe Kaep DOES return to form in Kelly's offense? Maybe it does suit his intangibles? As far as Denver goes, just go to your next option. But if Denver had a better option, wouldn't that deal be done by now? Denver is waiting out SF and Kaep for a reason.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, both sides have options because this is the job of management, to have options. But there are better options than others, so while Fitz is an option, is it a realistic one? RGIII is an option for SF too, but is it a realistic one?

IMO a deal will get done between Denver and SF. If i'm wrong, not a 'disaster' if Kaep stays in SF. Not what i want, but not a disaster. Who knows, maybe Kaep DOES return to form in Kelly's offense? Maybe it does suit his intangibles? As far as Denver goes, just go to your next option. But if Denver had a better option, wouldn't that deal be done by now? Denver is waiting out SF and Kaep for a reason.

But why would it be done? Nobody seems in a hurry to sign RG3 or Fitzgerald so why should the Broncos rush any kind of decision? I do think Kaepernick is their 1st option that they want which is why they haven't fully moved on but nothing right now screams they have to get something done now.

As for the realistic options yes all those players are realistic options. From what I understand Fitzgerald and the Jets are very far apart in negotiations. He is wanting something in the $16 million or more range and they are wanting something in the $8-9 million range. My guess is the longer that keeps going the more upset he gets and the more willing he is to sign with another team for cheap. RG3 might be a guy signed after the draft as teams see how the draft board falls before investing in him. Throw in now we know that the Browns are pretty much out on the Kapernick situation so Broncos have nobody they are bidding against for his services. Elway has shown to be one of the most patient GM's in the league. He has no problem waiting this out and if it doesn't work in his favor just moving on from the situation.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But why would it be done? Nobody seems in a hurry to sign RG3 or Fitzgerald so why should the Broncos rush any kind of decision? I do think Kaepernick is their 1st option that they want which is why they haven't fully moved on but nothing right now screams they have to get something done now.

As for the realistic options yes all those players are realistic options. From what I understand Fitzgerald and the Jets are very far apart in negotiations. He is wanting something in the $16 million or more range and they are wanting something in the $8-9 million range. My guess is the longer that keeps going the more upset he gets and the more willing he is to sign with another team for cheap. RG3 might be a guy signed after the draft as teams see how the draft board falls before investing in him. Throw in now we know that the Browns are pretty much out on the Kapernick situation so Broncos have nobody they are bidding against for his services. Elway has shown to be one of the most patient GM's in the league. He has no problem waiting this out and if it doesn't work in his favor just moving on from the situation.

ok good, that is my point. You're trying to downplay Denver's interest, but Denver wants Keap period.

If Denver moves on without a deal for Kaep, fine with me. SF isn't the one with a good team in place NOW. If Denver wants to enter THIS season with a good team plus "option 2 or 3" QB. fine with me. Not that Kaep is a consistentlt good QB either, but you should go with the best you can while your window is open. It is more urgent for Denver, than SF.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok good, that is my point. You're trying to downplay Denver's interest, but Denver wants Keap period.

If Denver moves on without a deal for Kaep, fine with me. SF isn't the one with a good team in place NOW. If Denver wants to enter THIS season with a good team plus "option 2 or 3" QB. fine with me. Not that Kaep is a consistentlt good QB either, but you should go with the best you can while your window is open. It is more urgent for Denver, than SF.

What you seem to think though is that the Broncos have Kaepernick and #1 and then a long ways down have a 2nd option. If they were that excited about Kaepernick then I think this deal is done by now. I think they like Kaepernick but see that they can do just fine without him and some of their other options. I mean think of it this way for the Broncos...They can have Kaepernick but give up a draft pick. Or they can keep their draft pick, sign a guy for cheaper, use that money to bolster the roster elsewhere, and then see what the draft has to offer to compete with whoever they bring in cheaper and Sanchez. I mean if they can have RG3+Draft Pick+let's say they save $4 million by signing RG3 compared to Kaepernick well last year that is what they signed Mathis for late in the year to bolster the OL.

So again they have lots of options that can help this team out. Kaepernick isn't the only show that they can see still winning games this year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you seem to think though is that the Broncos have Kaepernick and #1 and then a long ways down have a 2nd option. If they were that excited about Kaepernick then I think this deal is done by now. I think they like Kaepernick but see that they can do just fine without him and some of their other options. I mean think of it this way for the Broncos...They can have Kaepernick but give up a draft pick. Or they can keep their draft pick, sign a guy for cheaper, use that money to bolster the roster elsewhere, and then see what the draft has to offer to compete with whoever they bring in cheaper and Sanchez. I mean if they can have RG3+Draft Pick+let's say they save $4 million by signing RG3 compared to Kaepernick well last year that is what they signed Mathis for late in the year to bolster the OL.

So again they have lots of options that can help this team out. Kaepernick isn't the only show that they can see still winning games this year.

Hey CD,

I think it is a big game of chicken on all sides. I really don't know what the 49ers brass is thinking right now because there are so many conflicting stories. The latest one thrown out this morning is it is up to Chip Kelly whether Kap stays in SF or not.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

again, fine with me if Denver does something else. Your future 4th, 5th rounder, or whatever pick would be nice, but a small factor in the overall plan.

For THIS season we don't have a contending team anyway, we're not trying to win a SB before the team breaks up. This is Denvers best chance to contend before even more players leave. To think you guys will re-load with late round picks is being unreasonable, or blinded.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, fine with me if Denver does something else. Your future 4th, 5th rounder, or whatever pick would be nice, but a small factor in the overall plan.

For THIS season we don't have a contending team anyway, we're not trying to win a SB before the team breaks up. This is Denvers best chance to contend before even more players leave. To think you guys will re-load with late round picks is being unreasonable, or blinded.

Plenty of teams have reloaded before. The Broncos have shown some of the best late round work with guys like Trevathan, Malik, Paradis, Green all being quality starters over the past few years and then getting some Undrafted guys like Chris Harris and CJ Anderson. Not saying they will but just showing they have a history over many different drafts of finding some late round gems.

They also have some big contracts coming off the books not only this year but next year as well to give them some fire power cap space wise. I mean there is a reason the Broncos have won the AFC West 5 straight years and it isn't all just us signing Manning. We won it before he came and we won it when he was the worst QB in the league.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Plenty of teams have reloaded before. The Broncos have shown some of the best late round work with guys like Trevathan, Malik, Paradis, Green all being quality starters over the past few years and then getting some Undrafted guys like Chris Harris and CJ Anderson. Not saying they will but just showing they have a history over many different drafts of finding some late round gems.

They also have some big contracts coming off the books not only this year but next year as well to give them some fire power cap space wise. I mean there is a reason the Broncos have won the AFC West 5 straight years and it isn't all just us signing Manning. We won it before he came and we won it when he was the worst QB in the league.

but i'm saying NOW as in seriously contending THIS season. why? because after this season, even more of your top players will leave and the Denver's window closes. Denver's window closes NEXT season because there is no Hall-of-Fame QB to sustain it.

If Denver wants to go into THIS season with Sanchez, i really don't care. But it is the last, best chance to contend.

As a good Denver fan that you are, good you're looking long term. But long term means Denver will go thru a down cycle before rising up again. The cap forces teams to do this unless you get EXTREMELY lucky in drafting. So with Denver picking last in each round, the odds are high THIS draft class won't help much THIS season.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.************.com/news/92761-rapoport-trade-partners-waiting-49ers-colin-kaepernick-april/

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

IMO hold the line and lets see next week? If no trade happens, then let Kaep's contract take effect, don't cut him. We could still trade him after April 1st, granted we lose a little leverage.

At worse case we can't trade him but even then its not a disaster. Let him work with Kelly and see if he excels again? "Excel" meaning more consistency game to game, not thinking he'll become a top QB.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers are playing with a loaded hand. They have 0 motivation to move him other than he requested it.

Colin's cap number for next year?
not an issue. The team has ample amounts of cap space and it's not huge contract by QB standards.

Kaep's fit with the team?
If Tomsula stayed sure get rid of him, but Kelly is perceived as the perfect fit for Kaep's skill set. This gives the 49ers a pretty big reason to keep him for at least 1 more year.

Kaep's remaining contract?
They can still just as easily cut or trade him for nothing next year with how the contract was structured. The only risk to the team is if he gets seriously hurt.

With the 49ers having no financial need to trade or cut him and a good enough reason to keep him; other NFL teams are foolish to think it would take anything less than a stellar offer to obtain Kaep. The 49ers just as well would be foolish to accept anything other than a high draft pick for him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers are playing with a loaded hand. They have 0 motivation to move him other than he requested it.

Colin's cap number for next year?
not an issue. The team has ample amounts of cap space and it's not huge contract by QB standards.

Kaep's fit with the team?
If Tomsula stayed sure get rid of him, but Kelly is perceived as the perfect fit for Kaep's skill set. This gives the 49ers a pretty big reason to keep him for at least 1 more year.

Kaep's remaining contract?
They can still just as easily cut or trade him for nothing next year with how the contract was structured. The only risk to the team is if he gets seriously hurt.

With the 49ers having no financial need to trade or cut him and a good enough reason to keep him; other NFL teams are foolish to think it would take anything less than a stellar offer to obtain Kaep. The 49ers just as well would be foolish to accept anything other than a high draft pick for him.

all yes, and why i don't think it is a disaster, should we keep Kaep.

Like everyone else, do prefer a trade to obtain decent draft picks. But if it doesn't happen, not a disaster.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but i'm saying NOW as in seriously contending THIS season. why? because after this season, even more of your top players will leave and the Denver's window closes. Denver's window closes NEXT season because there is no Hall-of-Fame QB to sustain it.

If Denver wants to go into THIS season with Sanchez, i really don't care. But it is the last, best chance to contend.

As a good Denver fan that you are, good you're looking long term. But long term means Denver will go thru a down cycle before rising up again. The cap forces teams to do this unless you get EXTREMELY lucky in drafting. So with Denver picking last in each round, the odds are high THIS draft class won't help much THIS season.

Our window closes? Nobody knows the type of teams we will have 2 seasons from now. Who emerges that nobody expected? Injuries do they sideline some top players? Do the Broncos find their future QB and have a dynamic offense again? Too many questions 2 years from now to say how a team will be.

You seem very eager to get rid of Kaepernick even though you seem to suggest he is the only way the Broncos have a chance of repeating with the team they have this year. I don't think that is the case at all. Like I have said I do think the Broncos like Kaepernick but they liked Joe Thomas this past year and were working on a trade but didn't pull the trigger because the Browns wanted way too much in the trade. So Elway has shown plenty of times that he has a price in mind and the team can take it or leave it and he will just move on. I also don't think they are done QB wise. A high draft pick most likely gets used on a QB this year. So why trade a high pick for a guy with a high cap number when you can get a rookie with just as much potential, less baggage, and less of a cap hit to the team for a few years?

Throw in with the Browns signing RG3 why should the Broncos up their offer? They are the only game in town trying to get him. No reason to keep bidding themselves up at this time. They can slow play this just as much as the 49ers can.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our window closes? Nobody knows the type of teams we will have 2 seasons from now. Who emerges that nobody expected? Injuries do they sideline some top players? Do the Broncos find their future QB and have a dynamic offense again? Too many questions 2 years from now to say how a team will be.

You seem very eager to get rid of Kaepernick even though you seem to suggest he is the only way the Broncos have a chance of repeating with the team they have this year. I don't think that is the case at all. Like I have said I do think the Broncos like Kaepernick but they liked Joe Thomas this past year and were working on a trade but didn't pull the trigger because the Browns wanted way too much in the trade. So Elway has shown plenty of times that he has a price in mind and the team can take it or leave it and he will just move on. I also don't think they are done QB wise. A high draft pick most likely gets used on a QB this year. So why trade a high pick for a guy with a high cap number when you can get a rookie with just as much potential, less baggage, and less of a cap hit to the team for a few years?

Throw in with the Browns signing RG3 why should the Broncos up their offer? They are the only game in town trying to get him. No reason to keep bidding themselves up at this time. They can slow play this just as much as the 49ers can.

The eagerness we have is for the draft pick, not that who we get rid of is your answer. We're not I the business of making your team better. Just kidding. ;)