• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's Contract Guaranteed

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Report: Broncos view Kaepernick as being worth a fourth-round pick they don’t have

Meanwhile, Kaepernick’s best play continues to be digging in his heels, expressing a desire to remain with the 49ers, and waiting for April 1. He’ll either see his $12 million salary become fully guaranteed or win the ability to join a new team without that team having to give up a draft pick to get him — which could make the new team willing to pay him more than whatever is currently on the table.

Not getting this? Is the bolden saying the 49ers must release Kaep before April 1st, because they don't have to release him.

Say it is April 1st and no trade was executed, the 49ers still have Kaep under contract and hence STILL able to trade him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Broncos view Kaepernick as being worth a fourth-round pick they don’t have

Meanwhile, Kaepernick’s best play continues to be digging in his heels, expressing a desire to remain with the 49ers, and waiting for April 1. He’ll either see his $12 million salary become fully guaranteed or win the ability to join a new team without that team having to give up a draft pick to get him — which could make the new team willing to pay him more than whatever is currently on the table.

Not getting this? Is the bolden saying the 49ers must release Kaep before April 1st, because they don't have to release him.

Say it is April 1st and no trade was executed, the 49ers still have Kaep under contract and hence STILL able to trade him.

Well as I am sure most of you know April 1st is when a big chunk of his contract for this upcoming season becomes guaranteed. When that happens the 49ers are responsible for that money whether they trade him or not after that. So it would be a huge cap hit for a guy not on the team. So April 1st is a very important day unless the 49ers want to be stuck with dead money for a guy they didn't want anyway.

Right now at least in Broncos country this is what I have heard. The Broncos have weeded through all the rumors and realize they are just bidding against themselves. The Jets and Browns are not as interested as some rumors have suggested which is why the Broncos have stuck with only offering a 4th round pick. They think the 49ers also don't want Kaepernick so no reason to up their bid because he could be had for free on April 1st when the 49ers would cut him. Just seems right now like a very big game of chicken between the 49ers and Broncos. Have to see who blinks 1st.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well as I am sure most of you know April 1st is when a big chunk of his contract for this upcoming season becomes guaranteed. When that happens the 49ers are responsible for that money whether they trade him or not after that. So it would be a huge cap hit for a guy not on the team. So April 1st is a very important day unless the 49ers want to be stuck with dead money for a guy they didn't want anyway.

Right now at least in Broncos country this is what I have heard. The Broncos have weeded through all the rumors and realize they are just bidding against themselves. The Jets and Browns are not as interested as some rumors have suggested which is why the Broncos have stuck with only offering a 4th round pick. They think the 49ers also don't want Kaepernick so no reason to up their bid because he could be had for free on April 1st when the 49ers would cut him. Just seems right now like a very big game of chicken between the 49ers and Broncos. Have to see who blinks 1st.

there was an article last week (sorry don't have a link) saying why Kaep would have to play well even if the 49ers keep him. Kaep has already lost value and needs to gain value for 2017. So yes, both sides won't really like it, but keeping Kaep isn't so far fetched.

Should we keep Kaep, Denver ends up starting Sanchez. Denver still has a quality team and have all the pressure to "win now". Denver will blink BUT, Kaep needs to lower his cap hit first.

If Denver believes Kaep is only a little better than Sanchez, then drop the trade now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was an article last week (sorry don't have a link) saying why Kaep would have to play well even if the 49ers keep him. Kaep has already lost value and needs to gain value for 2017. So yes, both sides won't really like it, but keeping Kaep isn't so far fetched.

Should we keep Kaep, Denver ends up starting Sanchez. Denver still has a quality team and have all the pressure to "win now". Denver will blink BUT, Kaep needs to lower his cap hit first.

If Denver believes Kaep is only a little better than Sanchez, then drop the trade now.

Not sure I agree the Broncos have to "Win now." They have most of their defensive pieces locked up beyond just this next season. So if they need a year to retool this year works out well. Throw in the coaches really have no worry about being fired as a Super Bowl pretty much guarantees you a few years of lenience from the FO. Throw in Elway and Kubiak are very close friends so I doubt he fires him for one down year. They also have the draft to add competition and they still have RGIII who costs them nothing to sign other than his salary cap hit. So no I don't think the Broncos blink first on this.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure I agree the Broncos have to "Win now." They have most of their defensive pieces locked up beyond just this next season. So if they need a year to retool this year works out well. Throw in the coaches really have no worry about being fired as a Super Bowl pretty much guarantees you a few years of lenience from the FO. Throw in Elway and Kubiak are very close friends so I doubt he fires him for one down year. They also have the draft to add competition and they still have RGIII who costs them nothing to sign other than his salary cap hit. So no I don't think the Broncos blink first on this.

Yes, we'll wait see.

if Denver wants to enter this season with Sanchez and RGIII, no problem here. But if i had a SB winning team in place, the window is open NOW. The NFL history has shown how hard it is just to return to a SB. Taking the 'long view' like you're thinking is for bad teams. Things change FAST in the NFL, so Denver's team will be much different even in one more season.

that said, Kaep isn't nearly consistent enough, and you're defense will need to play just as good.

Lastly, Denver drafts last in EACH Round, it'll take a lot of luck to get immediate help. Not to mention no 4th rounder.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we'll wait see.

if Denver wants to enter this season with Sanchez and RGIII, no problem here. But if i had a SB winning team in place, the window is open NOW. The NFL history has shown how hard it is just to return to a SB. Taking the 'long view' like you're thinking is for bad teams. Things change FAST in the NFL, so Denver's team will be much different even in one more season.

that said, Kaep isn't nearly consistent enough, and you're defense will need to play just as good.

Lastly, Denver drafts last in EACH Round, it'll take a lot of luck to get immediate help. Not to mention no 4th rounder.

I think that is what Elway is trying to tell the 49ers though in that they have other options and are not going to get into a bidding war with themselves. No reason to at this point. Now maybe as we get closer to the time just have to see if they change their tune but right now all those guys of Sanchez, Kaepernick, RGIII, or a draft choice are all huge risks as they have all shown good and bad in their time in the NFL. Just depends how much more the Broncos view Kaepernick compared to those other guys. Also have to remember cap wise every one of those other players costs less than Kaepernick. So think of it as Broncos would have other player + Draft pick they don't trade + Cap Space to sign other players.

As for the draft yes we draft last. We also though have a ton of draft fire power with 9 picks this year and good chance a ton of Comp Picks for next year with our guys in FA getting huge contracts. So if the Broncos need to try and trade up to get a guy they do have some ability.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that is what Elway is trying to tell the 49ers though in that they have other options and are not going to get into a bidding war with themselves. No reason to at this point. Now maybe as we get closer to the time just have to see if they change their tune but right now all those guys of Sanchez, Kaepernick, RGIII, or a draft choice are all huge risks as they have all shown good and bad in their time in the NFL. Just depends how much more the Broncos view Kaepernick compared to those other guys. Also have to remember cap wise every one of those other players costs less than Kaepernick. So think of it as Broncos would have other player + Draft pick they don't trade + Cap Space to sign other players.

As for the draft yes we draft last. We also though have a ton of draft fire power with 9 picks this year and good chance a ton of Comp Picks for next year with our guys in FA getting huge contracts. So if the Broncos need to try and trade up to get a guy they do have some ability.

ok, if Denver wants to be the stronger 'chicken', fine by me. But if Elway didn't think much of Kaep over these other guys, why is this trade even on the table?

You mentioned draft picks to help THIS season, and my response was.....LAST pick in all rounds, plus no 4th. So you guys aren't getting that much help THIS season. having 9 picks will increase the odds, but not by much if most picks are late. If you're depending on 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders (late picks again each round) to help THIS season, good luck!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, if Denver wants to be the stronger 'chicken', fine by me. But if Elway didn't think much of Kaep over these other guys, why is this trade even on the table?

You mentioned draft picks to help THIS season, and my response was.....LAST pick in all rounds, plus no 4th. So you guys aren't getting that much help THIS season. having 9 picks will increase the odds, but not by much if most picks are late. If you're depending on 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders (late picks again each round) to help THIS season, good luck!

No I was more commenting about how the Broncos have 4 of the top-100 picks this year and most likely have 5-6 next year of the top-100 picks. That is why they have some fire power to move around with knowing they can trade picks in the early rounds and still have picks in those rounds.

As for the Kaepernick situation. I think Elway is showing that he likes Kaepernick but isn't willing to throw away huge draft capital to get him either. I mean a 4th round is a decent pick but it isn't a "we must have him" type move. Right now the Broncos don't have to do anything. Good chance RGIII isn't getting signed any time soon (possibly till after the draft) and Fitzpatrick seems at a stand still with the Jets. So no reason to rush anything and just see if this trade works out and if not move onto the next scenario. Again I don't think anybody can say with certainty that any of the choices are a clear cut best option over the others. I mean Keapernick and RGIII have both shown huge potential but have some major red flags. Anybody from the draft is going to be a huge question mark. Going with Sanchez for the Broncos again some good but some bad. So no reason to overpanic and say "we have to get this guy".

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No I was more commenting about how the Broncos have 4 of the top-100 picks this year and most likely have 5-6 next year of the top-100 picks. That is why they have some fire power to move around with knowing they can trade picks in the early rounds and still have picks in those rounds.

As for the Kaepernick situation. I think Elway is showing that he likes Kaepernick but isn't willing to throw away huge draft capital to get him either. I mean a 4th round is a decent pick but it isn't a "we must have him" type move. Right now the Broncos don't have to do anything. Good chance RGIII isn't getting signed any time soon (possibly till after the draft) and Fitzpatrick seems at a stand still with the Jets. So no reason to rush anything and just see if this trade works out and if not move onto the next scenario. Again I don't think anybody can say with certainty that any of the choices are a clear cut best option over the others. I mean Keapernick and RGIII have both shown huge potential but have some major red flags. Anybody from the draft is going to be a huge question mark. Going with Sanchez for the Broncos again some good but some bad. So no reason to overpanic and say "we have to get this guy".

4 out of the first 100 only sounds decent, till you get into the details. again, all of these picks are at the END of the rounds. The last two are both near 100.

we don't have to go back and forth on Kaep, and Denver can play it cool all they want. But the fact they're still interested, shows what Elway thinks of Kaep. Of course as a Denver fan, you want to get him cheap (a 4th), but in the end you guys will give up more. For us, we'll get something for Kaep, even if not from Denver.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually Cleveland has a deal the 49ers are happy with. The problem is that Cleveland wants to Kap to take a significant pay cut right now and Kap doesn't want to take that pay cut to go to a team that is losing free agents. But Cleveland can also make changes so they are still in the mix for Kap

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Cleveland has a deal the 49ers are happy with. The problem is that Cleveland wants to Kap to take a significant pay cut right now and Kap doesn't want to take that pay cut to go to a team that is losing free agents. But Cleveland can also make changes so they are still in the mix for Kap

That depends who you listen to. That is the problem with this time of year is a ton of misinformation comes out all the time. I have no idea who to trust in this situation. Heck yesterday rumor was the Broncos offered a 3rd round pick and were pondering offering up their 2nd. Today it is that they have offered a 4th round pick next year and have never strayed from that. So who knows what is true and not true in this situation. Sounds like though all sides are going to sit for a while and see what happens closer to that April 1st date.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That depends who you listen to. That is the problem with this time of year is a ton of misinformation comes out all the time. I have no idea who to trust in this situation. Heck yesterday rumor was the Broncos offered a 3rd round pick and were pondering offering up their 2nd. Today it is that they have offered a 4th round pick next year and have never strayed from that. So who knows what is true and not true in this situation. Sounds like though all sides are going to sit for a while and see what happens closer to that April 1st date.

I follow local sources here and people like Mike Silver. As far as the Broncos go I've never read a rumor on our end that the Broncos were even considering a 2nd round pick. Everything I've read here pretty much stated they were going to stay with a lower round pick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Denver has more pressure to make a deal, they're NOT only 'testing the waters'. Compared to recent QB signings, Kaep cost isn't that bad as is, Denver won't insist he drops it much.

The 49ers obviously want to deal, but at worse case Kaep stays with the 49ers and maybe finds SOME success with Kelly? Kaep himself knows he has to play well, and get other teams clamoring for him. He won't like playing for SF, but he has to. His 2012 and 2013 reputation is already gone, and is why teams are asking him to lower his already low cost.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Broncos view Kaepernick as being worth a fourth-round pick they don’t have

I don't know why this was funny. But it was. Some things just strike me as funny. I am just imagining Kaepernick digging his heels in, snickering, thinking he has outsmarted us, and then us keeping him until we trade him for peanuts to someone with an entrenched starter. (Though, or course, that would be classless and net us little. It's just that a team would not wait really long and trade a lot.) And then the illogical assumption you pointed out was icing on the cake to make it funny to me.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know why this was funny. But it was. Some things just strike me as funny. I am just imagining Kaepernick digging his heels in, snickering, thinking he has outsmarted us, and then us keeping him until we trade him for peanuts to someone with an entrenched starter. (Though, or course, that would be classless and net us little. It's just that a team would not wait really long and trade a lot.) And then the illogical assumption you pointed out was icing on the cake to make it funny to me.

It appears both Denver and Cleveland wants a lower contract? More so for Cleveland, but both want it. So the 49ers have an idea of the trade value (draft pick), but this game of chicken seems to be in Kaep's court now If he doesn't budge on his pending $11.9M, no deal gets done and he stays with the 49ers.

In this scenario, won't it be his fault that he still ends up playing for the 49ers? So we'll see just how badly he wants out?

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears both Denver and Cleveland wants a lower contract? More so for Cleveland, but both want it. So the 49ers have an idea of the trade value (draft pick), but this game of chicken seems to be in Kaep's court now If he doesn't budge on his pending $11.9M, no deal gets done and he stays with the 49ers.

In this scenario, won't it be his fault that he still ends up playing for the 49ers? So we'll see just how badly he wants out?

Absolutely...if he doesn't budge it's all on him. We know what we want for him, he wants to get paid, we still hold the cards here...it's really up to either the Browns or Denver to pay up...his 12 mill is a bargain compared to what nonsense is going on in the QB FA market. Guess we're back to the waiting game again.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers shouldn't be picky in Kaepernick trade talks

Not a strong opinion, but mine is stick with our current position. I'll take the chance neither Denver nor Cleveland ups their offer (or Kaep doesn't re-do his contract), and the 49ers end up with Kaep. Still think the 49ers can trade Kaep after April 1st, because Kaep's contract isn't THAT huge seeing what Bradford and Osweiler got.

I guess the 49ers will lose a little leverage after April 1st, but i'll take that chance Denver will blink before. Denver has a good team in place NOW, and so their window is open NOW. They have to get the best QB they can for THIS season. I personally don't think Kaep is good enough (inconsistent, not untalented), but he's the best QB left for them.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaepernick’s salary cap figure is expected to be $15.891 million after his $11.9 million base salary is added to various roster bonuses. It’s expected that his contract would be re-worked to accommodate a trade. San Francisco would be faced with $7,397,260 in dead money if Kaepernick were traded and get $8,493,493 in cap savings.

oh ok, his cap hit is near $16M, and no wonder other teams want it lower. He isn't worth $15.89M.