• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaep vs Alex

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI: Alex Smith is DEAD LAST IN THE ENTIRE NFL in YPA as I mentioned in another thread.

Every QB has drops, but his have been deep ones and 5th overall. Someone here did a count of 120 this last game (though 40 overlapped each other. Plus, he had a 57 yarder flat out dropped in another game. So, put him at 30th not last. ;)

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a big Smith fan but I would go with Kap every day of the week.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI: Alex Smith is DEAD LAST IN THE ENTIRE NFL in YPA as I mentioned in another thread.

Well, That settles it.

Thread ender. Thanks for that thorough info. Game over, man, game over.

No, it isn't a thread-ender. It didn't answer the question and removes context of the two teams. If I just said his percentage was better than Kaepernick's, someone would give context of receivers and difficulty level. YPA is tied also to the team, system, and familiarity and ability of the receivers to catch the ball (KC is 5th worst and the Denver game had bad drops). Note: I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic and also as the OP, you should know your question, so maybe I misinterpreted it? I still think it doesn't answer the question and if it did, it's just a speculative opinion like all of ours are.

Smith averaged a higher YPA in our offense without passing to Crabtree that much. Now, with our receivers, the YPA would be lower than that 8.0 average, but higher than it is at KC. Plus, Smith's completion percentage would be higher, with familiar players and more check downs, more TOP.

The question was record and to this point we could have the same or more/less. I'd say about the same. Going forward with a healthy Crabtree that changes because now we are playing harder teams (yes, assuming playoffs and tomorrow's game) and Kaepernick will take advantage of Crabtree, where Smith wouldn't. Reid will get Smith to open up more than Harbaugh did, but not to Kaepernick's levels - especially considering Kaepernick is better stronger suited towards it.

Smith's game didn't rely upon what we were missing. We'd have the ball longer. We'd have more experience at pre-snaps. Higher completion percentage due to familiar system, players, and checkdowns. We'd game plan differently. We could score more than 10 against the Panthers. We had growing pains and Kaepernick is better for it (better than he was before).

Im a big Smith fan but I would go with Kap every day of the week.

Agree. That wasn't the question. But I agree 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I think if Kaepernick could play the Panthers or Indy games again, he'd at least beat the Panthers if they were held to similar points and probably the Colts. Didnt mean suggest we could win those games with Smith and not Kaepernick. It's just we could with Smith and happened to not with Kaepernick, thus those losses offset, say, the Green Bay game that Smith could have lost. (I say could because gameplan would be different.)

BURN49ers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter how much we all speculate as to what would have happened had Smith returned last year. There is no way of knowing. The only fact we know is with Smith at QB they made it to the Playoffs/NFCCG 1 1/2 times in his career. Given the half for his half a season last year. Kaepernick, without playing a full season as starter, led the 49ers to the Superbowl. Smith's injury, Kaep's potential/big play ability, and Kaep's cheap contract are the reasons why Kaep became the starter.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, That settles it.

Doesn't matter how much we all speculate as to what would have happened had Smith returned last year. There is no way of knowing. The only fact we know is with Smith at QB they made it to the Playoffs/NFCCG 1 1/2 times in his career. Given the half for his half a season last year. Kaepernick, without playing a full season as starter, led the 49ers to the Superbowl. Smith's injury, Kaep's potential/big play ability, and Kaep's cheap contract are the reasons why Kaep became the starter.

No one's debating that nor who the better QB is. I feel Smith should have been in the Super Bowl in 2011. If KW fumbled in 2012 at the end, we'd have lost, too. Yes, everyone could have done better, including Smith, just like Kaepernick could have avoided the big deficits had he done better earlier. Had KW screwed that up, I'd still have said Kaepernick's comeback was deserving of a SB appearance. Smith's two deep TDs counted for something, too.

We'd have had a different game plan with Smith in 2012, so who knows if short passes, running, long drives, TOP, field position battles would lead to the 17 point deficit that people say Smith is incapable of (despite having done it before). We could have been one and done or made it in 2012 - that's how much I believe in our coaching staff, running game, defense, and getting hot in the playoffs.

This year, our schedule and the respective QBs game (Smith - not WR reliant nor opportunizing, Kaepernick's reliance on WRs but big play ability) would likely lead to a similar record.

No one's debating who is better or last year's decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one's debating that nor who the better QB is. I feel Smith should have been in the Super Bowl in 2011. If KW fumbled in 2012 at the end, we'd have lost, too. Yes, everyone could have done better, including Smith, just like Kaepernick could have avoided the big deficits had he done better earlier. Had KW screwed that up, I'd still have said Kaepernick's comeback was deserving of a SB appearance. Smith's two deep TDs counted for something, too.

We'd have had a different game plan with Smith in 2012, so who knows if short passes, running, long drives, TOP, field position battles would lead to the 17 point deficit that people say Smith is incapable of (despite having done it before). We could have been one and done or made it in 2012 - that's how much I believe in our coaching staff, running game, defense, and getting hot in the playoffs.

This year, our schedule and the respective QBs game (Smith - not WR reliant nor opportunizing, Kaepernick's reliance on WRs but big play ability) would likely lead to a similar record.

No one's debating who is better or last year's decision.

Meant to add: ...or last year's decision. In the end we did make it last year. You don't trade making it for maybe/could have. Great decision, then, now, and from now on.