• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaep vs Alex

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not pro or anti for either of them. What I'm asking is: Do you think the Niners record would be any different if Alex were our QB?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not pro or anti for either of them. What I'm asking is: Do you think the Niners record would be any different if Alex were our QB?

It is difficult to say. Football is a team game. While Kap has struggled, Alex has glaring weaknesses as well.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. We lose in Green Bay and we beat the Saints with Alex, so it would be a wash.

In the long run the 49ers are way better off with Kap because we got picks for Alex, Alex is mediocre (at best) as a starting QB and has no potential, and Kap is arguably just as good (bad?) as Alex right now and still has a lot of potential.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. We lose in Green Bay and we beat the Saints with Alex, so it would be a wash.

In the long run the 49ers are way better off with Kap because we got picks for Alex, Alex is mediocre (at best) as a starting QB and has no potential, and Kap is arguably just as good (bad?) as Alex right now and still has a lot of potential.

I think we beat Seattle with Alex. Big plays against them are scarce. He would dink and dunk enough, along with opening up the running game more for Gore. I think we are no less than 10-2 with Alex.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alex would have probably lost the same games Keap did. Alex never handled constant pressure well. He could be as shaken as Keap. I haven't forgotten how frustrated Alex can become. I know he has become the medias's " He just wins" guy, but his output on the field hasn't really been impressive or above anything we've seen from him in the past. This isn't a great season for him by any means.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we beat Seattle with Alex. Big plays against them are scarce. He would dink and dunk enough, along with opening up the running game more for Gore. I think we are no less than 10-2 with Alex.

Probably would have lost to GB in the opener but I agree with the dink and dunk being the only way to beat Seattle. You have to wear them down, death by a thousand paper cuts. Smith was good at that and I believe whupped Seattle three times in a row.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree we lose to GB. They were geared up to stop Kaep from embarrassing them running. Our defense is elite. Alex and Vernon work well together. To make a counter point, the receiving corp was depleted and he wouldn't have the weapons to throw to, just as Kaep didn't. I just think we are built as a dink and dunk team. They've tried to be more prolific than they are. Run the power sweep, throw a few slants, dump it off to Gore a few times and occasionally get a deep throw to the wrs or Davis.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
KAPER STATS: PCT YDS AVG TD INT RAT
2013 Season 57.8 2312 7.6 15 7 88.9
Career 59.7 4161 7.9 25 10 92.7

SMITH Stats: PCT YDS AVG TD INT RAT
2013 Season 59.3 2736 6.2 16 6 83.9
Career 59.3 17016 6.5 97 69 79.9

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pretty much a wash and a tie. Given Kaps harder schedule and division and his very limited experience it's a no brainer to go with the younger cheaper guy. Then when you factor in his physical potential and upside over a guy who you know what he has got..well easy to see why we went in his direction.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the question is, is our record any worse or better. I know Kaep is the more physically gifted QB. Alex is the more cerebral QB to this point. They have different strengths and weaknesses.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So did JaMarcus Russell. I'm not comparing but that's not a valid response. Maybe you're joking?

How many playoff games did Jamarcus russell win? Hell, how many playoff games has Alex Smith won?

Somehow Kaepernick has won more than both of them combined without even one entire season as a starter under his belt...

Smith has the lowest yards per pass average in the NFL.

/Thread

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree we lose to GB. They were geared up to stop Kaep from embarrassing them running. Our defense is elite. Alex and Vernon work well together. To make a counter point, the receiving corp was depleted and he wouldn't have the weapons to throw to, just as Kaep didn't. I just think we are built as a dink and dunk team. They've tried to be more prolific than they are. Run the power sweep, throw a few slants, dump it off to Gore a few times and occasionally get a deep throw to the wrs or Davis.

Smith did beat the packers up there in the 2012 opener so we know he can do it but in the opener this year they needed every one of those 450 yards Kaepernick threw for and I' m not sure Smith could have done that.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably would have lost to GB in the opener but I agree with the dink and dunk being the only way to beat Seattle. You have to wear them down, death by a thousand paper cuts. Smith was good at that and I believe whupped Seattle three times in a row.

Those Seattle teams were largely different than the one we played this year. At least according to Toby logic. If I can't say that the 49ers in the Harbaugh era match up well with high octane offenses, then you can't say that if Alex Smith were here he could continue to dink and dunk them to death like he did in previous years.

Anyway, I'm not sure dinking and dunking is the answer. I think running the ball down the soft(ish) gut of their defense is the key to beating them, along with covering their WRs and forcing Wilson to beat you with his arm as a pocket passer.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those Seattle teams were largely different than the one we played this year. At least according to Toby logic. If I can't say that the 49ers in the Harbaugh era match up well with high octane offenses, then you can't say that if Alex Smith were here he could continue to dink and dunk them to death like he did in previous years.

Anyway, I'm not sure dinking and dunking is the answer. I think running the ball down the soft(ish) gut of their defense is the key to beating them, along with covering their WRs and forcing Wilson to beat you with his arm as a pocket passer.

It wasn't that long ago and all 3 of Smith's victories I mentioned were in the Harbaugh era.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many playoff games did Jamarcus russell win? Hell, how many playoff games has Alex Smith won?

Somehow Kaepernick has won more than both of them combined without even one entire season as a starter under his belt...

Smith has the lowest yards per pass average in the NFL.

/Thread

To rebut, Smith took them to the NFC championship game and should've been in the Super Bowl. I'm not opposed to Kaep at all. I'm asking a simple question. Kaep has shit the bed against our main rival and succumbs to pressure. It's an honest question.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith did beat the packers up there in the 2012 opener so we know he can do it but in the opener this year they needed every one of those 450 yards Kaepernick threw for and I' m not sure Smith could have done that.

he woulda got 299 and we woulda won

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can't run the ball down their gut when they don't respect your QB at all. Here's what I THINK they see: Kaep has a read, they cover that and then he panics and runs into a sack or a marginal gain. They are not a better all around team. Tell me, other than their secondary, how are they better? We have the better OL, front seven and receiving corp. it's either the QB or it's the play calling.