• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Smith

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers' Baalke expects to meet with Smith this week | CSN Bay Area

Now that we know Armstead was drafted for DE, we should move on without Justin Smith. Yes, he can still play and contribute THIS season, but we might as well look ahead already. Looking ahead means letting these younger guys play and gain experience. Going into 2016, we'll need Carradine and Armstead to get more reps.

Even if Armstead doesn't play a lot, Smith's roster spot will keep another young player around.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers' Baalke expects to meet with Smith this week | CSN Bay Area

Now that we know Armstead was drafted for DE, we should move on without Justin Smith. Yes, he can still play and contribute THIS season, but we might as well look ahead already. Looking ahead means letting these younger guys play and gain experience. Going into 2016, we'll need Carradine and Armstead to get more reps.

Even if Armstead doesn't play a lot, Smith's roster spot will keep another young player around.

I don't mind Smith coming back and don't mind if he retires. Even if he comes back, I would expect more rotation on the Dline. We lost RayMac, so there is a roster spot right there.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At this point, I'd just as soon move on from Smith. And I say that as someone who loves Smith. But this team isn't likely to be in contention this year, we've got young players who could benefit from the playing time, and we could use the cap savings. It will be bitter-sweet to see the Cowboy ride off into the sunset to be sure, but in the long run it might be the best thing for this team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't mind Smith coming back and don't mind if he retires. Even if he comes back, I would expect more rotation on the Dline. We lost RayMac, so there is a roster spot right there.

yeah ok, we do gain McDonald's spot. if Dorsey and Ian Williams are the NT's, then we have these 7 at DE's:

Justin Smith
Dockett
Carradine
Dial
Armstead
Jerrod-Eddie
Ramsey

IF we keep two NT's, how many DE's would we keep, four? Would we cut Ian and use Dial as DE/NT? This way we would keep one more DE.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah ok, we do gain McDonald's spot. if Dorsey and Ian Williams are the NT's, then we have these 7 at DE's:

Justin Smith
Dockett
Carradine
Dial
Armstead
Jerrod-Eddie
Ramsey

IF we keep two NT's, how many DE's would we keep, four? Would we cut Ian and use Dial as DE/NT? This way we would keep one more DE.

Don't forget Okoye! I've got us keeping five DEs, not including Smith. Those are Dockett, Carradine, Dial, Armstead, and Jerod-Eddie. It's a lot, but we don't have established, longterm starters at the position, so you keep an extra guy there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2014 San Francisco 49ers season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the amount of defensive linemen was in flux during the season, but here is one version and there are only five line men total. i can see six DL, MAYBE seven going into 2015? But i'd think seven places pressure on another position?

if Justin Smith returns it isn't a bad thing, but who is then let go? Anyone tradable?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't forget Okoye! I've got us keeping five DEs, not including Smith. Those are Dockett, Carradine, Dial, Armstead, and Jerod-Eddie. It's a lot, but we don't have established, longterm starters at the position, so you keep an extra guy there.

ok, five DE's plus how many NT's, one or two?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ok, five DE's plus how many NT's, one or two?

Two NTs, both Dorsey and Williams. I have them with seven DL. I go 26 defensive players, 24 offensive. We need the depth at DL and CB, and LBs are typically great STs players.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys are flat out CRAZY to want to move on from Justin Smith. There isn't a player on this current team that is the epitome of blue collar-lunch pail work ethic like Justin Smith and his guidance to guys like Tank, Dial, and Amstead is WORTH every dime he commands. This is a lost season and with Cowboy, we would be starting a 35 yr old and 34 yr old respectively at both DE positions so I think it is safe to say that we will have plenty of PT for those players we are targeting as heir apparents while still have the guidance and stability that Justin Smith brings.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a Smith fan but he really did a bad job deciding if he is playing or not. Put 49ers in a bad situation.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a Smith fan but he really did a bad job deciding if he is playing or not. Put 49ers in a bad situation.

I don't think this is true. The 49ers have been preparing for his eventual departure, whether it was this year or next. The team has pretty much said so.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this is true. The 49ers have been preparing for his eventual departure, whether it was this year or next. The team has pretty much said so.
Yes but I still put blame on him. I think he is doing a bad job

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think you guys are flat out CRAZY to want to move on from Justin Smith. There isn't a player on this current team that is the epitome of blue collar-lunch pail work ethic like Justin Smith and his guidance to guys like Tank, Dial, and Amstead is WORTH every dime he commands. This is a lost season and with Cowboy, we would be starting a 35 yr old and 34 yr old respectively at both DE positions so I think it is safe to say that we will have plenty of PT for those players we are targeting as heir apparents while still have the guidance and stability that Justin Smith brings.

Tank and Dial have now been on a team with Smith for two seasons. I'd hope they've picked up a lot of what they're going to about work ethic and professionalism. It's true Armstead could use some of that, but I just don't think it's worth the cost - in terms of the cap, in terms of getting young guys reps, and in terms of whichever player is not on the roster because Smith is.

Look, if I was on the staff and Smith said he wanted to return, I don't think I'd be saying, "Why don't you re-think that?" But in the long run I do think we're probably better-served if he moves on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

name the seven D Linemen you're going to keep? i question if we keep seven, but go ahead and name seven.

if this is a 'lost season', more so you're supposed to look ahead....younger guys getting experience, and using that cap space on others.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dockett, Smith, Armstead, Tank, Dial, Dorsey, Williams

There is my 7. Dial swings to emergency NT, but otherwise in a DE rotation.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tank and Dial have now been on a team with Smith for two seasons. I'd hope they've picked up a lot of what they're going to about work ethic and professionalism. It's true Armstead could use some of that, but I just don't think it's worth the cost - in terms of the cap, in terms of getting young guys reps, and in terms of whichever player is not on the roster because Smith is.

Look, if I was on the staff and Smith said he wanted to return, I don't think I'd be saying, "Why don't you re-think that?" But in the long run I do think we're probably better-served if he moves on.

What cap room do you need? Who are we signing? He's off the books next season anyways. Considering the upheaval that just occurred with the roster, we need as many pro-Tomsula veterans on board that can set the tone for the rest of the season and beyond and Justin Smith commands respect across the league and adds validity to what Tomsula is trying to accomplish. This goes beyond his play in the field.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats fine. He's did the sanme thing before it just wasn't as publisized. I don't think he is hurting the team in any way.

I agree. He is still showing up at the facility working out with these guys and hopefully leaving an impression on these youngsters.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
name the seven D Linemen you're going to keep? i question if we keep seven, but go ahead and name seven.

if this is a 'lost season', more so you're supposed to look ahead....younger guys getting experience, and using that cap space on others.

Who do you cut? Both with and without Smith.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What cap room do you need? Who are we signing? He's off the books next season anyways. Considering the upheaval that just occurred with the roster, we need as many pro-Tomsula veterans on board that can set the tone for the rest of the season and beyond and Justin Smith commands respect across the league and adds validity to what Tomsula is trying to accomplish. This goes beyond his play in the field.

Cap space rolls over. It's not a compelling reason to want to see him walk, but it's a factor.

I don't disagree with the pro-Tomsula argument, per se, but Tomsula should have a lot more support in the locker room than most new HCs. He's been with this organization for years. All the guys except the rookies know him, and five of the DL who should be staples have played under him for several years. I hate to see Justin go, but it does make sense. We're unlikely to be competitive next year. We should be trying to move away from older players where possible.