• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Smith is not the same any more

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note: I can't remember....what were the names of the super-trolls on the ESPN boards? Can't believe these guys names aren't burned into my brain. I know there was Nolan Nonsense, who I figured is Toby Tyler, but who was the super spaz who made a million posts and basically wanted to murder Smith?

LOL, Freebase, Mackdown. The guy had a dozen aliases at ESPN all trashing Smith day after day.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm sorry, but I think the days of Justin Smith being an all-pro' DE are over. I'm not saying he isn't still really good, but his age is starting to show. This is why I advocated trading him before the 2012 season when he could've garnered a top-15 pick.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer; I'm just pointing something out nobody else has.

Definitely agree. I watched him a lot more this Colts game because I wanted to see what was going on. Had a few nice plays and seemed like a good amount of plays he was getting pushed around. A few of those run plays he got dominated on. Dont usually see that from Justin Smith.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I think the days of Justin Smith being an all-pro' DE are over. I'm not saying he isn't still really good, but his age is starting to show. This is why I advocated trading him before the 2012 season when he could've garnered a top-15 pick.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer; I'm just pointing something out nobody else has.

You must not be watching the same game as me. He's still very good and very disruptive up there.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here are the positions that need to be fixed IMO:

*NT*WR
*CB
*Safety
*C - Goodwin is one of the most overrated players in the league IMO. He's drafting behind the great *guards. He needs to be replaced ASAP.
*Backup DL.

That's a lot of holes.

Its kind of sad how NT has been on that list for so long. From day 1, I said we need a stud NT. Getting one of them REALLY makes the 3-4 click, and especially how our team is made up of. (P. Willis and Bowman in the middle.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing wrong with Justin Smith. He played great in the first game. The drop off on the line started when Williams got injured. Not before. He was the only true nose tackle on the team. With McDonald ailing it is even more amplified.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm referring to either one. If the Niners traded him prior to the 2012 season, they could've gotten a top-15 pick. They could've made the move to get Poe.

If they traded him now, I don't know what they could get. But the Niners' roster is quickly turning into swiss cheese, and if they have a guy to replace JSmith (Carradine), it may be time to ca$h in while he still has value.

I don't buy that. What team would have traded a top-15 pick for a five-technique DE who was turning 33? The closest parallel is Seymour, but he was turning 30 and they gave up a first round pick in a draft that was a year-and-a-half away. And that was the Raiders.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Its kind of sad how NT has been on that list for so long. From day 1, I said we need a stud NT. Getting one of them REALLY makes the 3-4 click, and especially how our team is made up of. (P. Willis and Bowman in the middle.

Because our 3-4 defense hasn't clicked over the past two years? Sure, you'd love an elite NT, but our D has been just fine without one.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He is still a good player.

Of course he is; a very good player. But he's no longer the one-man wrecking machine who could make the defense the best unit in football. He's going to need more help than he did in the past.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

what are you willing to spend to get him? a mid 1st rounder (trade up), a late 1st, 2nd rounder, other?

the NFL has trended far enough to the pass where we spend more time in nickel, but good teams can still run. if we expect to win in the play-offs, we must 'stop' the run. the other area to consider is bad weather, i'd think opponents will run more in rain or snow?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because our 3-4 defense hasn't clicked over the past two years? Sure, you'd love an elite NT, but our D has been just fine without one.

Definitely, they have been fine. But the potentials there to be elite. In same category as the Ravens superbowl d and Bucs D

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what are you willing to spend to get him? a mid 1st rounder (trade up), a late 1st, 2nd rounder, other?

the NFL has trended far enough to the pass where we spend more time in nickel, but good teams can still run. if we expect to win in the play-offs, we must 'stop' the run. the other area to consider is bad weather, i'd think opponents will run more in rain or snow?

I'd definitely spend a mid 1st rounder on one

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had we been the winner of the SB, would giving up that be worth the top-15 pick in this year's draft? I know you like to look at the future, but giving up a SB would be huge. I know that at the time you suggested it, we had Alex Smith and I know how you thought of him (and therefore our SB chances) and how you thought of Kaepernick for that matter - I'm just asking hypothetically, knowing what you know now how the season turned out and judging that Justin Smith helped us get there, had we won the SB, would you trade?

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see Justin Smith has gotten pretty consistent pressure thus far this season.... yeah hes slipping... watch the games not the stat sheets. Yes hes not the 2011 career year Justin Smith but hes easily top 5 if not top 3 in the NFL at his position.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Lets see Justin Smith has gotten pretty consistent pressure thus far this season.... yeah hes slipping... watch the games not the stat sheets.

And then you go on to say:

Yes hes not the 2011 career year Justin Smith but hes easily top 5 if not top 3 in the NFL at his position.

DING DING DING!!!

That's exactly what I'm saying! What's the point? The defense can't ride his coat tails any more. And he's only going to get worse form here on out.

The D-line is going to need another really good to star player if it wants to be anywhere near as dominant as it has been (even if Carradine pans out IMO).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They were elite in 2011, and in 2012 before the Smiths got banged up.

They were healthy on Sunday, but the defense was not the same as it's been in the past. And let's not pretend that's prom a lack of Sopoaga.

Justin's play is declining. He & Ray MacDonald play WAY too many snaps. This is a problem, and this isn't something that has an easy solution to it. And the Niners have may other problems bigger than this one. The current blueprint isn't going to work; they need to take a little more drastic measures.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Up front there were solid displays from Ray McDonald (+1.9), Glenn Dorsey (+1.2), and Ahmad Brooks (+1.3) but behind them there were more down performances from the 49ers in one game than you'd expect to see combined in a month. Both Justin Smith (-2.5 run defense) and NaVorro Bowman (-2.9 run defense) were uncharacteristically poor against the ground game, as were reserve linemen Tony Jerod-Eddie (-2.5) and linebacker Michael Wilhoite (-2.1)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They were healthy on Sunday, but the defense was not the same as it's been in the past. And let's not pretend that's prom a lack of Sopoaga.

Justin's play is declining. He & Ray MacDonald play WAY too many snaps. This is a problem, and this isn't something that has an easy solution to it. And the Niners have may other problems bigger than this one. The current blueprint isn't going to work; they need to take a little more drastic measures.

I'm not saying they're great now. I'm saying a NT is not going to make the difference between good and elite.

As for DE, the clear answer is to bring along Carradine.