• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Smith Holding?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Saw this linked in the NFC East blog (section 3).

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Film Room: Packers-Niners

Call me crazy, but I'm not really sure what the writer is talking about.

You can't see J. Smith's hand on the LG at all (it's obviously there, you just can't see it), though it's clear that the LG is holding him. The LG never attempts to disengage and turn to A. Smith, though he isn't a player who would get in on the block anyway.

It's possible J. Smith is holding the LT. I honestly can't tell, though it looks like his right hand may be on the LT's left shoulder pad. But the LT isn't in position to make a block, anyway. There's no way, after starting forward, that he would be able to get through the trash on the back side of the line to make the block from that angle, or that he could track A. Smith down from behind.

The two players who arguably "miss" the block on this play are the RG, who clearly is not held and doesn't make any attempt to block A. Smith, or the RB, who blows by A. Smith without giving him a second thought.

Saying that Justin Smith's holding makes this play is fairly outrageous, IMO.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Film Room: Packers-Niners

You can't see J. Smith's hand on the LG at all (it's obviously there, you just can't see it), though it's clear that the LG is holding him. The LG never attempts to disengage and turn to A. Smith, though he isn't a player who would get in on the block anyway.

It's possible J. Smith is holding the LT. I honestly can't tell, though it looks like his right hand may be on the LT's left shoulder pad. But the LT isn't in position to make a block, anyway. There's no way, after starting forward, that he would be able to get through the trash on the back side of the line to make the block from that angle, or that he could track A. Smith down from behind.

The two players who arguably "miss" the block on this play are the RG, who clearly is not held and doesn't make any attempt to block A. Smith, or the RB, who blows by A. Smith without giving him a second thought.

You're not crazy whatsoever - And I agree

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks to me like they were double-teaming Justin Smith. ??? Yeah what the... The LG would never have been in position to block A Smith he was stunting to the right side... What a crappy analysis of that play.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're not crazy whatsoever - And I agree

Well, he wants you to call him crazy and you won't. Hmm, I guess I'll have to do it, despite agreeing with you both. Crimsoncrew, you're one crazy man. But absolutely right.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That was terrible evidence to suggest Smith was holding.

Neither the G or T make any attempt to disengage from Smith so how could that be "holding"? Both had their eyes on him the entire time.

Either that are Smith is one strong dude to be able to use one hand to pull each offensive lineman to him and allow them not to move at all.

And I agree with CC in that it's the Aldon is the RG's guy to pick up and even if Justin was holding it wouldn't have any impact on the play.

The play worked as designed in that you got the RG to block down because he didn't have anyone on him when the ball was snapped and Aldon got lost in the shuffle and was able to capitalize on the hole made. The entire point of the TaE or EaT is to create confusion among the offensive line.

Also what I think people don't realize is it's Justin Smith's job to get big and eat up space. So him spreading out like he does is just him doing his job and occupying as much space and attention as he can.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid. The RB not picking up Aldon is what makes this play work. He has frames missing from the play and I'm not convinced that a hold allowed Aldon to stunt untouched. What a stretch. Also look at their RG staring at Aldon run by. Comedy.

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I first read about this from Gilbride, the only thing I thought is about how everyone gets away with murder while holding Justin Smith. A defensive tackle holding is pretty hilarious to me, because if the lineman wasn't in Justin's way he'd probably get the sack himself. Just crazy concept to me, because what I see the most of is Smith getting held like crazy. That'd really piss me off if they start calling Smith for holding while letting everyone hold him in order to contain him.