• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Smith Back At Practice Today

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.......Good news.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news? No sir, that is great news.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya, I did not catch what his limitations were as far as practicing but its a good sign that he is on the field.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how strong he will be by next Saturday. I'm sure he hasn't been lifting much if at all. I just hope he doesn't look like a shell of his former self come game time.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shit is starting to piss me off!!! If you are not 100% then get the fuck off the field Justin!!!

Steve Young did this same fucking bull shit after sustaining cracked ribs during a playoff game with Philly and instead of allowing Grbac to take the reps during preparations for GB, Young, (with Sieferts ill-advised consent) took the snaps and then took the field with enough cortisone in his ribs to start pharmaceutical franchise and lasted one fucking drive!!

Grbac came in the game and did exactly what you would expect a cold back-up QB to do in playoff game - he shit the bed! Unless Cowboy is 100% then these reps should be going to Peanut-Butter & Jelly!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if anything RJF needs to drop the peanut butter jelly time and get serious out there. I want/need RJF to freaking make an impact on his zone/gap. Stuff the run or rush the passer. get it done!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shit is starting to piss me off!!! If you are not 100% then get the fuck off the field Justin!!!

Steve Young did this same fucking bull shit after sustaining cracked ribs during a playoff game with Philly and instead of allowing Grbac to take the reps during preparations for GB, Young, (with Sieferts ill-advised consent) took the snaps and then took the field with enough cortisone in his ribs to start pharmaceutical franchise and lasted one fucking drive!!

Grbac came in the game and did exactly what you would expect a cold back-up QB to do in playoff game - he shit the bed! Unless Cowboy is 100% then these reps should be going to Peanut-Butter & Jelly!

That's true, but I don't blame Young. I think he was either paranoid that he'd be replaced or just felt the team isn't winning without him. Whereas with Justin, he's not going to be replaced and depending on who we play, we may win without him. I know, Justin can't make decisions thinking that one team is easy and another not, but if one runs more or one passes more, he could be more needed in one or the other. Also, as long as they make the decision in the days before the game and not now, I'd be ok. It would at least keep the other team not knowing. The Cardinals kept running it where Justin Smith would be knowing that that was probably a weakness. If our opponent doesn't know, they might be less prepared one way or another. I expect them to be at least a little prepared either way.

Having said that, Smith doesn't need practice as much as his replacement does, does he? I mean, let the other guy prepare and practice in case Smith has a setback. Then, figure out if Justin is playing.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith doesn't need practice as much as his replacement does, does he? I mean, let the other guy prepare and practice in case Smith has a setback. Then, figure out if Justin is playing.

If Cowboy is 100% great - but wearing a brace isn't 100%. You are correct, PB&J needs to be gettin' with the first team and working with his counterparts on the outside as well as on the inside.

I just don't want another Steve Young situation where Justin goes out and then immediately comes out because he's not ready forcing us to then send in a cold replacement.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure Justin and the staff know what he's capable of more than an Internet forum user... Did you at least stay at a Holliday inn express last night?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Getting practice reps doesn't necessarily mean taking part in live action with the starting unit. It could just be running through individual drills, etc. I don't recall seeing lists of limited practice participants, for instance. I agree I'd just as soon see Smith get the extra rest rather than pushing so hard to come back, but doing some relatively light practice stuff shouldn't hurt.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Justin and the staff know what he's capable of more than an Internet forum user... Did you at least stay at a Holliday inn express last night?

No! They were all booked up I stayed at La Quinta - perhaps therein lies the problem. On a more serious note - This would be FAR from the first time a player and the staff DIDN"T know what they were capable of.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting practice reps doesn't necessarily mean taking part in live action with the starting unit. It could just be running through individual drills, etc. I don't recall seeing lists of limited practice participants, for instance. I agree I'd just as soon see Smith get the extra rest rather than pushing so hard to come back, but doing some relatively light practice stuff shouldn't hurt.

I'm on board with this as I understand it. PB&J needs to get in synch with the D'Line as a unit - Justin needs to be honest about what he can and cannot do. His presence could just as easily hurt us as help us. We have all seen pride make these decisions in the past and seldom with the desired outcome.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If Cowboy is 100% great - but wearing a brace isn't 100%. You are correct, PB&J needs to be gettin' with the first team and working with his counterparts on the outside as well as on the inside.

I just don't want another Steve Young situation where Justin goes out and then immediately comes out because he's not ready forcing us to then send in a cold replacement.

At this point in a season there is no such thing as 100% for a player but I get what your trying to say.

The question is if where Justin Smith is at currently in terms of effectiveness is better then RJF in terms of effectiveness and that we just really don't know and that's up to the coach's and Justin Smith himself.

I will say I don't have a problem with him practicing and getting reps because D line is different from QB in that it's more assignment based rather then rhythm based. As long as you know what the play is you should be able to perform at a high level since all you have to worry about is doing your little part of the play. That's why you can rotate defensive linemen in and out of the line.

But with that said I think Smith should just do the individual drills and keep his body in playing shape. He's a vet and doesn't really need the reps to be able to play at a high level and let RJF have the reps.

What we'll likely see come game time is RJF and Smith rotating a lot over the course of the game.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in a season there is no such thing as 100% for a player but I get what your trying to say.

The question is if where Justin Smith is at currently in terms of effectiveness is better then RJF in terms of effectiveness and that we just really don't know and that's up to the coach's and Justin Smith himself.

I will say I don't have a problem with him practicing and getting reps because D line is different from QB in that it's more assignment based rather then rhythm based. As long as you know what the play is you should be able to perform at a high level since all you have to worry about is doing your little part of the play. That's why you can rotate defensive linemen in and out of the line.

But with that said I think Smith should just do the individual drills and keep his body in playing shape. He's a vet and doesn't really need the reps to be able to play at a high level and let RJF have the reps.

What we'll likely see come game time is RJF and Smith rotating a lot over the course of the game.

I could throw some 3-4 vs. 4-3 and play & scheme specific rotation assignments out to you - But overall I think this is a great fricken post and it has helped to ease my concerns and that is good enough for me. Thanks JK!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For NN to say "Good news", that is equivelant to anyone else saying "OMG, the greatest thing to ever happen to great things!!"

Seriously, though, this is HUGE!! This is completely game-changing, and now I am getting ansy about this team again.

The WR situation is a little scarey, but we still have our pre-season #1 (who has improved throughout the season) and our pre-season #4 who has legitamately stepped up to be a #2.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on board with this as I understand it. PB&J needs to get in synch with the D'Line as a unit - Justin needs to be honest about what he can and cannot do. His presence could just as easily hurt us as help us. We have all seen pride make these decisions in the past and seldom with the desired outcome.

Emmitt Smith, separated shoulder versus the Giants in the playoffs.

Boom.

And point taken.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emmitt Smith, separated shoulder versus the Giants in the playoffs.

Boom.

And point taken.

Boom indeed!!! Masterfully Played, One!!! Masterfully played!!! LOL!!

If we can get that kind of performance out of Justin with one torn triceps, then may I recommend we tear the other one!