• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just how good ARE the Chiefs?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos have reached their bye week, and as much as I know this team needs the time off, I am already antsy waiting for the matchup with the Chargers following the break. But I also think it's worth taking a look at the one team in the league that has a better record than the Broncos, especially since that one team is a rival! And notice I said "has a better record" and not "is better than." Let's take a look at the Chiefs as they and the Broncos have reached the halfway mark in their respective schedules.

Let me start by saying this. I think the Chiefs are a good team. This is not an attempt to discredit them on a fantastic start, an 8-0 record, and rebounding after a horrid 2-14 season last year. This is a good team. You don't get to 8-0 if you are not a good team.

But...(There's always a "but" and you knew it was coming!)

But a look not so much at who they've beat but how and when they beat them is why I think the Broncos will be able to handle them. I'm not going to use the old "they haven't played anyone good" argument because they have played everyone on their schedule. After all, out of 8 games, the Chiefs have played the same teams the Broncos have played in 5 of them. Again, I stress that when and how a team plays is just as important to analyzing a body of work. So let's take a look at the Chiefs first half of the season:

@ Jacksonville: Chiefs 28, Jaguars 2. Impressive win. "Sure, it was the Jaguars, blah, blah, blah." The Chiefs went on the road and their defense pitched a shutout. That's hard to do, even against the Jaguars.

vs Cowboys: Chiefs 17, Cowboys 16. Are the Cowboys a good offense? Yes, they are. Is it impressive to hold them to only 16? Yes it is. But the Cowboys are also one of the most epically inconsistent teams of this era. Plus they drew the misfortune of playing the Chiefs in their home opener. The Cowboys first road game, the Chiefs first home game. A win is a win, but I wouldn't read too much into this.

@ Eagles: Chiefs 26, Eagles 16. This win had everyone sitting up and taking notice. The Chiefs went into Philadelphia and kept that "high powered" offense under wraps. I think what really happened is a case of sports talking head premature ejaculation. The Eagles were a flashy new gimmick those first few weeks, but over time we have learned the truth about them: They are a below average offense that caught a few teams with their pants down. The Eagles are averaging 22 points per game as of now. High powered offense, my tail feathers.

vs Giants: Chiefs 31, Giants 7. Impressive win. Sure, they got the Giants in the midst of their 0-6 the sky is falling dumpster fire of a start. But a good team takes advantage of its opponents' weaknesses, and the Chiefs did that in this game. As I recall they added a TD on defense to help dress up the scoreboard.

@ Titans: Chiefs 26, Titans 17. Would the Chiefs have won this game if Locker were available to start? It's impossible to prove. My guess is they benefitted from getting to play against a backup QB.

vs Raiders: Chiefs 24, Raiders 7. Solid win. I can't take anything from this one. The Chiefs held serve against a Raiders team that had beat them 6 straight years in KC.

vs Texans: Chiefs 17, Texans 16. If you think that having Schaub and Foster available would not have made a difference in this one... The truth is the backups get paid too. But to say the Chiefs did not benefit from getting a guy making his first NFL start and Foster leaving early is football ignorance at its worst.

vs Browns: Chiefs 23, Browns 17. Once again, the Chiefs draw a backup QB. This time a third choice. And that third choice lit them up for nearly 300 yards. The Browns probably are not as bad as they get blamed for. They play solid defense. But on offense they bring out a guy who once again is making his first start of the season. Tell me this did not benefit the Chiefs. Go ahead. Say it with a straight face.

So three of their opponents had their backup QBs in. In their last two games they faced backup QBs at home and still only won by a combined 7 points. This defense has caught a lot of breaks.

We hear a lot of sports pundits tell us the Chiefs offense has done what it has had to do, but is that even true? As we saw from the Browns game yesterday, they lack the ability to pull away from an opponent. An opponent that is downright anemic on offense. And unless the Chiefs make a blockbuster trade, we pretty much know what there is to know about the Chiefs offense. This is to say there really isn't any reason to expect them to break out and start piling up points and offensive production on a level significantly higher than what they already have.

This brings me to the inevitable comparison to the Broncos. So many have talked about the matchup between these teams. The league's best offense facing off against the league's best defense. I question the truth of this hype. This is because I don't think the Chiefs are the league's best defense. They are a top 5 unit, without a doubt, and I will credit them for keeping their offense in games. But they have had the football gods smile on them a couple times this season.

And like the Broncos schedule, the Chiefs schedule through the second half of the season is a gauntlet. But unlike the Broncos, the Chiefs are pretty much tapped out on expected production. They still have two games against the Chargers (who are inconsistent, but can be very explosive), a trip to play the Redskins (who should have not problem racking up ground yards against the Chiefs mediocre run defense), a trip to play the Raiders (who may be putting a few of the pieces together and will get up for a rivalry game) and of course, two games against the Broncos (who are so good on offense that even with a performance that included 3 turnovers and a safety still put up 33 points, two higher than the Chiefs high this season). And all that ignores the fact that the Chiefs travel to Buffalo next to face a feisty Bills team where the Chiefs have historically struggled.

But unlike the Chiefs, we have not seen the best the Broncos have to offer, specifically on defense. With Von Miller playing and Wesley Woodyard back in the huddle running the defense, this unit has its best football ahead of it. We caught a slight glimpse of that yesterday. I made a statement on another thread that the Broncos defense from this point forward will actually be better than the Chiefs defense the rest of the way. We'll see if I'm right. I'm confident I am. And if I am, this is bad news for the Chiefs, and really the rest of the league.

Again, this is not to say the Chiefs are not a good team. 8-0 is pretty impressive no matter how you got there and what breaks you caught along the way. But there is a lot to indicate this team will see some losses in the second half of the season. BIG losses. I have no doubt the Broncos hang 40 on them in Denver, and even though Kansas City is always a tough venue for the Broncos, I don't see the Chiefs keeping the Broncos under 30 even in Arrowhead. I think the Chargers in San Diego and the Colts are both candidates to hang 30 on them as well. The Colts already manhandled two of the better defenses in the league in Seattle and San Francisco, averaging over 30 points in those two games. The Redskins in Washington are another candidate to ring them up.

Considering the Chiefs are not built to win a shootout, any team that can get 28 or so points against them has a solid shot at winning. So I've identified five potential games in which the Chiefs may be looking at needing 30 or more points to win. Can they do it five times?

I'll be interested to see if they can do it once.

Your thoughts?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will start off by saying the Chiefs have definitely earned some respect and notice around the league and by me. I honestly saw them as a 7-9 8-8 kind of team this year and obviously they are going to blow some of that out of the water.

Now having said that I will say this Chiefs team kind of reminds me a bit of the 2009 and 2011 Bronco teams. In 2009 the Broncos started out 6-0 and caught the league by surprise with some great defense. We caught some lucky breaks in those games (which in all honesty in this league a team needs to get) but in reality we were more of a middle of the pack kind of team. In 2011 we caught quite a few teams with some serious injuries and our defense was keeping us in games that we were lucky to win on a few occasions. Sometimes though those lucky bounces is the difference between being 4-4 and 8-0.

Now honestly I don't say those things to bash the Chiefs or say they are going to fall flat on their face as they have a legitimate defense, a good coach, and a quarterback that doesn't cost them games very often. To me though when I am looking at a team and saying whether they are good or elite my first question is do I think they are actually a Superbowl caliber type team and with the Chiefs I cannot say yes to that question. Maybe with another couple good drafts they could be there but I just don't think Smith is a quarterback that can get you there. At some point in the playoffs they will run into a time where he will be asked to lead them to victory and I just don't think he has that in him. I also don't see a team especially that say they get down by a touchdown or two that can make the come back that they need to. If they have to abandon the run their OL is horrible at Pass Blocking and Smith just is not a deep threat kind of quarterback that defenses have to really sit back and worry about that.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs have already reached the number of wins I expected for them this season, so I have to tip my hat to them for that.

That said, they still don't scare me and I still think we win the division. Right now I'm confident we beat them in Denver and give us a good chance to beat them in KC. I'd give them a slight nod at home, but it's something like 55-45 chance that they beat us. I also think they slip up a couple of times, like against the Chargers, at Washington, or at home against the Colts. I could see them going 4-4 the second half of the season to finish at a very good 12-4.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs have had a very easy schedule but they won them all and thats all you can ask. Denvers schedule hasnt been so tough so far as well. Denver wins the division by 1 game.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second half of their schedule is much tougher for KC than was their first half. Even if you net out their eight wins against their first half opponents, those teams only have a combined 20-33 record in games other than against KC. KC's second half opponents are a combined 35-24. I think KC is likely to win between 10 and 12 games. I also expect that they are likely to have their hands full at Buffalo this weekend.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fight for AFC W title and #1 WC will be great... Unfortunately i do believe that if KC does not win one game vs denver then the rest of the regular season is irrelevant... If they dont win one game vs denver then i can see them going 11-5 this season, just because they dont need to do any better...

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs have already reached the number of wins I expected for them this season, so I have to tip my hat to them for that.

That said, they still don't scare me and I still think we win the division. Right now I'm confident we beat them in Denver and give us a good chance to beat them in KC. I'd give them a slight nod at home, but it's something like 55-45 chance that they beat us. I also think they slip up a couple of times, like against the Chargers, at Washington, or at home against the Colts. I could see them going 4-4 the second half of the season to finish at a very good 12-4.

This is about where I would put them. That would be a heck of a turn around from 2-14. I think I had them at 7-9 before the season started, maybe 8-8. I'd have to go back and look again. I had the Chargers at 10-6.

I think the Broncos manage a finish of no worse than 5-3 through the second half of the season, so that would put them at 12-4 if that were the case. And that's my conservative guess. If the defense does what I think it will do, the Broncos are probably going to finish 14-2.

The truth is I think the Broncos defense is about to break out. Offensive production may decline because of the colder weather and the defense stepping up and reducing the need for the Broncos to score 35 every week. If the offense stays healthy, they can score 30 every week against every opponent remaining on their schedule, home and away. Unless they pull starters, of course. And pulling starters may be a way to ensure key players stay healthy.

I can easily see this division sending 3 teams to the playoffs:

Broncos: 14-2 (#1 or #2, but the Colts have a soft schedule ahead and could finish 14-2 as well.)

Chiefs: 12-4 (#5)

Chargers: 9-7 (#6)

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the Chiefs at 11-5 preseason. People seriously underestimated the value Alex Smith was going to add to their team even if only by being more efficient with the ball. Its rare to see a 2-14 team that had as much talent as KC last year and a huge part of the blame for their record laid with Matt Cassels inability to hold onto the ball. I am sticking with my 11-5 prediction although the Chiefs will likely get to 12 wins IMO. That said people are once again underestimating the damage this team can do in the playoffs. KC has a stout D, a QB who makes good decisions and a solid running game all led by a superior coaching staff. Thats a recipe to be able to beat anyone come January. I still think Denver is the team to beat in the AFC but the one team I could see giving them issues in mid January is KC because they can control the ball and get timely turnovers.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the Chiefs at 11-5 preseason. People seriously underestimated the value Alex Smith was going to add to their team even if only by being more efficient with the ball.

For me it wasn't underestimating Smith. He and Andy Reid are the reason why I predicted the Chiefs to improve from 2-14 to 7-9 or 8-8. It was the defense I underestimated. Between injuries and underperformance, a lot of the guys they have on that roster have fielded some pretty disappointing defenses in recent seasons. This year has been different. It has finally come together for them. At least so far.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the Chiefs at 11-5 preseason. People seriously underestimated the value Alex Smith was going to add to their team even if only by being more efficient with the ball. Its rare to see a 2-14 team that had as much talent as KC last year and a huge part of the blame for their record laid with Matt Cassels inability to hold onto the ball. I am sticking with my 11-5 prediction although the Chiefs will likely get to 12 wins IMO. That said people are once again underestimating the damage this team can do in the playoffs. KC has a stout D, a QB who makes good decisions and a solid running game all led by a superior coaching staff. Thats a recipe to be able to beat anyone come January. I still think Denver is the team to beat in the AFC but the one team I could see giving them issues in mid January is KC because they can control the ball and get timely turnovers.

control the ball ? as in running game ??

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Serious question: who in the AFC do you think they can beat in the playoffs? Frankly I don't think the AFC playoffs will be very kind to the wild cards. Let's say for a second that the Chiefs do indeed get the wild card and the number 5 seed. The likely division winners are Denver, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and New England. Which one of those teams do you think the Chiefs could beat on the road?

By the way, that's not exclusive to the Chiefs. If they win the division and we get the 5th seed I don't like our chances against any of those teams. I just think it's going to be incredibly difficult for an AFC wild card to win a game.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question: who in the AFC do you think they can beat in the playoffs? Frankly I don't think the AFC playoffs will be very kind to the wild cards. Let's say for a second that the Chiefs do indeed get the wild card and the number 5 seed. The likely division winners are Denver, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and New England. Which one of those teams do you think the Chiefs could beat on the road?

By the way, that's not exclusive to the Chiefs. If they win the division and we get the 5th seed I don't like our chances against any of those teams. I just think it's going to be incredibly difficult for an AFC wild card to win a game.

Honestly they could beat any of them. KC has a good enough defense to stay in games with all of those teams you listed. Im not saying Chiefs to the SB or anything but this is a team thats fully capable of beating anyone they play in the playoffs IMO.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
control the ball ? as in running game ??

Mostly short passing game but Charles is capable of controlling the ball on the ground. They dont need him as much this year because of Smith but hes still a really good back.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly short passing game but Charles is capable of controlling the ball on the ground. They dont need him as much this year because of Smith but hes still a really good back.

Charles has been close to 40% of their offense this year which is more than any other player in the NFL so I would say he is being used more than ever in this offense.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charles has been close to 40% of their offense this year which is more than any other player in the NFL so I would say he is being used more than ever in this offense.

I meant the ground attack as opposed to his total game but yeah hes the real deal.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just how good ARE the Chiefs?

GOOD enough.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didnt leave much room for discussion :yahoo:

GOOD enough for you Broncos fans to be worried about them.

KC
#5 defense in the league
#16 offense in the league

Denver
#24 defense in the league
#1 offense in the league

Looks pretty even to me. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOOD enough for you Broncos fans to be worried about them.

lol...I'm not worried...not sure if anyone else is....now, that said, its not as if the Bronco's have never had a total collapse before and gotten beaten by a much lessor team. I'm afraid it would require a total collapse again on the Bronco's behalf in order for the chiefs to beat them.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly they could beat any of them. KC has a good enough defense to stay in games with all of those teams you listed. Im not saying Chiefs to the SB or anything but this is a team thats fully capable of beating anyone they play in the playoffs IMO.

Fair enough. Personally I think they'd have a very tough time winning any of those games, but I respect your opinion.