• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Juan Soto

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you be willing to give up to acquire Soto from the Nats? Keep in mind that we would only get two years from him before he signs $50 bazillion contract with the Yanks or Dodgers.

And maybe, with the team rolling, now is not the time to rock the boat. However, I still remember how pissed off Piniella was in 2001 that the front office didn't add any players at the deadline, despite the teams rolling toward a 116-win season. And it turned out he was right to be pissed when the team ran out of steam in October.

So, would you trade Kelenic and Kirby for two years of Soto? It would be hard for Washington to turn down that deal and I'm not sure if any other team could top that offer. How about Kelenic and Brash. That might be a bit easier on our collective baseball souls.

They should make some moves to improve the team.
A better backup catcher.
A couple more reliable arms to add to the pen.
A better utility guy to get Frazier and DeeMo out of the lineup.
And, the Holy Grail: a mid-rotation starter. Not a backend starter, which is what they typically settle for, but a true mid-rotation starter. One of Cincinnati's guys, or Pablo Lopez. Frankie Montas would be great too but there isn't much chance of Oakland trading him to a division rival.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of your proposals are close (Kelenic/Kirby, Kelenic/Brash); Larry Stone posited Kelenic/Marte/Hancock to start and probably still needing Ford or Arroyo to have a chance at getting it done. And any of those trades leave us with an unused, generally proven COF/DH starter/star (Winker, Hanniger, Lewis, Soto to fit into LF/RF/DH). I would think you would want to try to get value out of one of those 3 in a trade for Soto (along with Kelenic).

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, no team is gonna be able to land Soto without taking on either Corbin or Strasburg too

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's all it takes, sign the M's up....
It’s gonna take some top prospects and taking on a terrible contract. Not to say it wouldn’t be worth it, but it’s gonna hurt in the long run if you can’t extend him

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you be willing to give up to acquire Soto from the Nats? Keep in mind that we would only get two years from him before he signs $50 bazillion contract with the Yanks or Dodgers.

And maybe, with the team rolling, now is not the time to rock the boat. However, I still remember how pissed off Piniella was in 2001 that the front office didn't add any players at the deadline, despite the teams rolling toward a 116-win season. And it turned out he was right to be pissed when the team ran out of steam in October.

So, would you trade Kelenic and Kirby for two years of Soto? It would be hard for Washington to turn down that deal and I'm not sure if any other team could top that offer. How about Kelenic and Brash. That might be a bit easier on our collective baseball souls.

They should make some moves to improve the team.
A better backup catcher.
A couple more reliable arms to add to the pen.
A better utility guy to get Frazier and DeeMo out of the lineup.
And, the Holy Grail: a mid-rotation starter. Not a backend starter, which is what they typically settle for, but a true mid-rotation starter. One of Cincinnati's guys, or Pablo Lopez. Frankie Montas would be great too but there isn't much chance of Oakland trading him to a division rival.
Sadly it'll probably take way more than just Kelenic/Kirby or Kelenic/Brash to land Soto.

I'd happily throw Kelenic in a trade for Soto, but at this point he's damaged goods. Sure he was rushed up to the majors, but his stats over his 123 major league games have been very poor, and there are a lot of red flags there. Kelenic is probably about as impressive as any player in the majors in batting practice, but that hasn't translated against big league pitching.

I promise I'm not stealing from Larry Stone's article, but I think a starting point would probably look something like Kelenic, Marte, Hancock. Along with Harry Ford or Edwin Arroyo. On top of that, I've read that a Soto trade wouldn't happen without the Nats dumping some salary by including Patrick Corbin or Stephen Strasburg.

Although the Mariners have been cheap, they do have the financial flexibility to re-sign Soto once the time comes.

Here's Stone's article for anyone who hasn't read it, it's a more articulate version of what I just said:

It seems he would have no issue sending those prospects even if there was a possibility Soto would walk in free agency. I only say make that type of trade if there is commitment from ownership to give Soto the contract he will inevitably receive.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically a trade would look something like this:

Mariners receive:
- Juan Soto
- Patrick Corbin or Stephen Strasburg

Mariners send:
- Kelenic
- Hancock
- Marte
- Ford, Arroyo, or Kirby

And I think that's a relatively favorable scenario for the Mariners. If they have any interest in Kyle Lewis, I'd happily send him there instead of one of those prospects. His chronic knee injuries will likely only get worse as time goes on.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly it'll probably take way more than just Kelenic/Kirby or Kelenic/Brash to land Soto.

I'd happily throw Kelenic in a trade for Soto, but at this point he's damaged goods. Sure he was rushed up to the majors, but his stats over his 123 major league games have been very poor, and there are a lot of red flags there. Kelenic is probably about as impressive as any player in the majors in batting practice, but that hasn't translated against big league pitching.

I promise I'm not stealing from Larry Stone's article, but I think a starting point would probably look something like Kelenic, Marte, Hancock. Along with Harry Ford or Edwin Arroyo. On top of that, I've read that a Soto trade wouldn't happen without the Nats dumping some salary by including Patrick Corbin or Stephen Strasburg.

Although the Mariners have been cheap, they do have the financial flexibility to re-sign Soto once the time comes.

Here's Stone's article for anyone who hasn't read it, it's a more articulate version of what I just said:

It seems he would have no issue sending those prospects even if there was a possibility Soto would walk in free agency. I only say make that type of trade if there is commitment from ownership to give Soto the contract he will inevitably receive.
The Mariner do have the flexibility to sign Soto long-term. But don't have the flexibility to sign Soto, JRod, and Gilbert. We are realistically talking a one billion dollars....at least. We'd lose at least one of those and most likely two.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just say if they're considering trying for Soto, they better first inquire on what it would take to pry Ohtani away from LA first. He would be a much better allocation of those resources and probably more likely to resign here.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just say if they're considering trying for Soto, they better first inquire on what it would take to pry Ohtani away from LA first. He would be a much better allocation of those resources and probably more likely to resign here.
I think Soto though would be easier to get because LA is in the division.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are going to give up all of these prospects I’d be comfortable if he was willing to take a new deal in the six year range. It doesn’t tie him up to the team if they start to suck, and it lines him up with Julio’s free agent years. 2.5 years isn’t worth it if we deplete our farm.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
micheal..jordan...was not the whole bulls team....niether is soto a whole team...the trade is...

is enphanately...pre- mature..and pitchers..will understand..how to get him...soon..

i would not give up kirby...why..i have...julio....i need a CENTER FIELD...yes..julio..can CF...

but he would be better...in RF/CF......

the cost..is too...much..at this time...........when mariners are trying to come out..of re-build..

wait...2 years..and see if you think the same thing...seattletimes...did not build...the mariners..

yes..in fantesy.....its a trade.....in reality....it..is not......

defence winns championships....soto...is lucky..to hit...1..out of 3.........or 4

ill take the pitchers.....and an ..a good cF......and 2b...and keep..the mariners...

its just..the east coasters..trying..to break..the mariners momentum......and seattle times writer..

must do his job...........

not by the hair...of your ..chinny chin chin....with ...yo...spin....

ok....notted....job done...........

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now the mariners ...need to find the pitcher....sotobane....and sign him..

and a couple relief...guys...with so..much sotobane......
then they only have to beat...the...............rest of the team..

or cryptinite...which ever

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Walter Ford ('23) throws 97mph at Jr. National Showcase​

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mariners have a center field....anytime...he is 100.pct...lewis...one of the best.....i know he does not have the numbers
of a trout...but he did winn rookie of the year...and i have seen..his videos.........so..you cant tell me otherwise

in any case...mariners need a CF......and 2B....or 2B/ss..or a center fied..who will be 4th guy...if lewis....does come back..to cf.....
LF/Cf...ok that will work....and the oppasite of............. winker...for hitting....sure...ok.....................

playing a bit of a game...trying to find the right...guy...but...they..come along..

this guy could be lewis...as well..

and haggerty..has been..awsome..of late.....on 2nd..thought.....

ill be happy with...a 2b...if lewis comes back....

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the mariners...spend...a bit...it should be on a Center FiELD...and lewis coud be the 4th guy....DH....for know..

and a 2B..that fits...with frazier..and moore...A tall..order..????..ill take madragil..happ..if they are going to spend big...

chi ...cubs..and an extend for a year with happ...

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....i like to dance..with..who..i came to..the party...with...otherwise...i could be doeing....somthing else.....

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soto....maybe..dodgers...before..they fall..apart

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are going to give up all of these prospects I’d be comfortable if he was willing to take a new deal in the six year range. It doesn’t tie him up to the team if they start to suck, and it lines him up with Julio’s free agent years. 2.5 years isn’t worth it if we deplete our farm.
But problem is there is zero chance he will sign an extension. It’s no different than ARod in terms of he young enough where he has to test free agency.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com has a proposal for the M's to get Soto:

Kirby, Hancock, Kelenic, Ford, Marte, and Juan Pinto.

Just hell fucking no. Soto's great, but that is just absolutely gutting your now and your near future for 2 years of 1 guy.