• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Journell

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There have been several players in the past who lost scholies and/or were dismissed from the team for doing a lot less than Journell's "misdemeanor".

Just my opinion, but if Journell comes back on scholie, that's a slap in the face to the players who are currently on scholie and basically low maintenance.

I'll be curious to see how this one plays out.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have a feeling that he won't be on scholly .. At least until he can keep his nose clean for a year .. And I agree, misdemeanor or not, it would look bad if he stayed on scholly

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Am I the only one who hopes his scholarship goes to Dillon Christopher? I'm glad to have Journell back this year (we sure do need him), but a scholarship is never a given for a kicker that hasn't embarrassed the program. It's hard to see him doing anything to earn a free ride back, especially when we'll surely catch heat just for having him play again.

It was a big deal that Frank awarded him a schollie in the first place... I don't know if I see it happening twice. Having a squeaky clean, 60-yard kicking, big-time Hokie fan waiting on a call makes it even less likely.

vtnuclearhokie

Pronounced Nuke-u-ler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would make for a nice story, provide a shot for a kid who looks to have great potential, and keep VT from embarrassing itself any more with this incident. I am sure kickermom would like that also.
Beamer is usually a no nonsense type of guy, so hopefully he stays true to himself.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Am I the only one who hopes his scholarship goes to Dillon Christopher? I'm glad to have Journell back this year (we sure do need him), but a scholarship is never a given for a kicker that hasn't embarrassed the program. It's hard to see him doing anything to earn a free ride back, especially when we'll surely catch heat just for having him play again.

It was a big deal that Frank awarded him a schollie in the first place... I don't know if I see it happening twice. Having a squeaky clean, 60-yard kicking, big-time Hokie fan waiting on a call makes it even less likely.

They should take whoever is the better, more consistent kicker.

Journell was overcharged to begin with in this incident, and deserves a second chance, although it should be made clear that he is skating on thin ice and even a minor infraction will get him kicked off the team. The fact that we lost two kickers for the Sugar Bowl was both embarrassing and inexcusable.

But you hate to see Journell's whole life ruined because of one bonehead move.

That said, I'd be happy if Christopher turns out to be the better kicker as well, and it wouldn't be terrible if he had a year to get acclimated before taking the job over.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They should take whoever is the better, more consistent kicker.

Journell was overcharged to begin with in this incident, and deserves a second chance, although it should be made clear that he is skating on thin ice and even a minor infraction will get him kicked off the team. The fact that we lost two kickers for the Sugar Bowl was both embarrassing and inexcusable.

But you hate to see Journell's whole life ruined because of one bonehead move.

That said, I'd be happy if Christopher turns out to be the better kicker as well, and it wouldn't be terrible if he had a year to get acclimated before taking the job over.

I meant neither harm towards Journell's spot on the team, nor did I expect his "whole life ruined". I'm very happy to see him back, especially for this upcoming season when we need him so desperately. My point is that the scholarship he was given was already a rarity for this program. At the very least, he should be allowed to continue on the team, but not be granted rare and optional privileges such as this... they go instead to those with zero character issues. I know there are several here with military backgrounds; consider it to be "quality force management".

I do realize that NO ONE keeps TWO scholarship kickers on board, but Journell's Sr year would be Dillon's Fr or R-Fr year. Cody has already had half of his degree paid for him... I don't think he's owed anything else even if given a second chance to play, nor do I think paying for college ruins anyone's life unless they mismanage funds afterwards.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Am I the only one who hopes his scholarship goes to Dillon Christopher?

It might be the right calculation, but the way you said it sounded a bit vindictive. If Journell lost his scholarship, it's no longer his, and the decision about whether to award a scholarship to Christopher is a completely separate calculation.

I suppose it will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I'd like to see Va Tech retain both of these kickers.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It might be the right calculation, but the way you said it sounded a bit vindictive. If Journell lost his scholarship, it's no longer his, and the decision about whether to award a scholarship to Christopher is a completely separate calculation.

I suppose it will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I'd like to see Va Tech retain both of these kickers.

I didn't intend for it to be vindictive... but since, like I said, there's no room for two kicking scholarships, it would be accurate.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't intend for it to be vindictive... but since, like I said, there's no room for two kicking scholarships, it would be accurate.

Not really, since VT needs a kicker THIS year, and Christopher isn't available until 2013.

I don't think Journell gets his scholarship back, but it really has nothing to do with Dillon Christopher.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Journell is a rising Junior. If he got his schollie back, he'd presumably have it for two years. In this scenario, either Tech has two Kickers on scholarship, or Dillon has to GS/prep/go somewhere else. If another school offers, we lose him.

All kicking personnel decisions are linked, more than any other position IMO.

Don't mean to argue, and of course I want both in orange and maroon. If Journell can stay for this season without a scholarship, great. Save it for the phenom without a nationally-infamous black mark on his record.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the guy personally, but we have mutual friends and from what I've heard about him, he definitely doesn't deserve the scholarship. I know it's college and you're supposed to live it up, but I don't even think he cares about the team as much as he cares about the other stuff.

Might seem a bit harsh, but that's just how things go sometimes. Plenty of kids would kill for even a half scholarship to Tech.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Journell is a rising Junior. If he got his schollie back, he'd presumably have it for two years. In this scenario, either Tech has two Kickers on scholarship, or Dillon has to GS/prep/go somewhere else. If another school offers, we lose him.

All kicking personnel decisions are linked, more than any other position IMO.

Don't mean to argue, and of course I want both in orange and maroon. If Journell can stay for this season without a scholarship, great. Save it for the phenom without a nationally-infamous black mark on his record.

There might be some validity to that. I don't think Journell gets his scholarship back anyway. There certainly isn't any reason to go out on a limb for him -- nobody else is going to bend over backwards for him.

Like I said, he'd better know he's on probation. One slip up and he's gone. Time for him to grow up.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know the guy personally, but we have mutual friends and from what I've heard about him, he definitely doesn't deserve the scholarship. I know it's college and you're supposed to live it up, but I don't even think he cares about the team as much as he cares about the other stuff.

Might seem a bit harsh, but that's just how things go sometimes. Plenty of kids would kill for even a half scholarship to Tech.

Well, he's already had that, so maybe it's best left that way. VT is pretty short-handed on kickers at the moment, so I hope it works out, but he needs to realize that the margin for error in judgment on his part is small.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There might be some validity to that. I don't think Journell gets his scholarship back anyway. There certainly isn't any reason to go out on a limb for him -- nobody else is going to bend over backwards for him.

Like I said, he'd better know he's on probation. One slip up and he's gone. Time for him to grow up.

He could go to Miami, where he would be considered a fine upstanding citizen. If he needs a scholarship to continue in school, I think he gets one.

Bird in the hand, etc.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He could go to Miami, where he would be considered a fine upstanding citizen. If he needs a scholarship to continue in school, I think he gets one.

Bird in the hand, etc.

Maybe. It will be interesting to see, for sure. Either way, I would think Christopher would be a totally different calculation. I'm sure Beamer and crew are smart enough to work that out if they need to.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Heard the same thing from a couple of different sources, both of whom I trust. Journell was acting out long before he got into his most recent trouble.

JMHO, but I seriously doubt he will ever be on scholie again at Tech.