• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Johson signs....

Lightyear49er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO at you guys thinking Kaep would be gone and not your boy Tolzien. Last I checked, Tolzien rarely even went to the games. Let alone even put a foot on the grass. You guys are nuts, Tolzien was never 2nd on the depth chart either. And nobody even saw anything bad out of Kaep in the first place anyway. Don't know why you guys are assuming he hasn't caught on to anything.

repped :rockon:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ItsOnNowChapsL.jpg

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The signing provides depth and competition at QB- don't see how this signing can be misconstrued as being a bad thing (other than for Tolzien's pocketbook)? I know quite a few people on the old ESPN board liked Johnson coming out of SD (including me).

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is a good signing. The reality is if Alex Smith gets hurts we would be down to 2 players who have a combined total of less than 20 pass attempts in their career. In free agency there existed a young player who had started a few games, had a lot of good athletic traits, and knew the offense well. The only other quarterback out there who knows Harbaugh's offense is Andrew Luck and we're not getting him. Johnson signed a 2 year contract similar to what David Carr signed a couple years back. If he provides some added urgency in the locker room and pressure to perform, great.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is a good signing. The reality is if Alex Smith gets hurts we would be down to 2 players who have a combined total of less than 20 pass attempts in their career. In free agency there existed a young player who had started a few games, had a lot of good athletic traits, and knew the offense well. The only other quarterback out there who knows Harbaugh's offense is Andrew Luck and we're not getting him. Johnson signed a 2 year contract similar to what David Carr signed a couple years back. If he provides some added urgency in the locker room and pressure to perform, great.

+1

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm an old fart and I definitely recall another 49er QB who absolutely sucked equine gonads with the Bucs in his first couple of years, and who played markedly better when he came to the niners...

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Tolzien can beat JJ out.

This is very good move and speaks nothing to what they think about CK. It only makes sense, with his relationship with Harbaugh, JJ is going to push this field, which is what we need. From what I remember Tolzien was doing better than CK in the pre-season and he signed in September, didn't have a lot of time. Johnson will have an edge with his experience; but I was never impressed with him despite his big numbers. I watched him while at USD and though he did great in 1-AA (mid major)...I think he was at his best in that level of competition and was average against better competition like UCD...who had a losing season that year (first time in 38 years)...

I like that we have QB taken care of going into the draft...

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm an old fart and I definitely recall another 49er QB who absolutely sucked equine gonads with the Bucs in his first couple of years, and who played markedly better when he came to the niners...

Trent Dilfer?

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i said yesterday i wasn't big on signing this guy but i looked at what we gave him and it's not to bad of a deal if he doesn't work out we can cut him without it really hurting us against the cap

2 year deal worth 2 million and he also got a 350,000 signing bonus he also can earn up 1.5 million incentives

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Tolzien can beat JJ out.

This is very good move and speaks nothing to what they think about CK. It only makes sense, with his relationship with Harbaugh, JJ is going to push this field, which is what we need. From what I remember Tolzien was doing better than CK in the pre-season and he signed in September, didn't have a lot of time. Johnson will have an edge with his experience; but I was never impressed with him despite his big numbers. I watched him while at USD and though he did great in 1-AA (mid major)...I think he was at his best in that level of competition and was average against better competition like UCD...who had a losing season that year (first time in 38 years)...

I like that we have QB taken care of going into the draft...

since we signed JJ for TWO years, don't think the reason is to "push" the other three? he'll take a roster spot and maybe get into the #2 position.

Tolzien would have to totally outplay JJ to stay on the roster.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think, as fans, we are over analyzing these signings. Whether or not you consider the Josh Johnson signing good or bad, it should, in no way be construed as a knock on any of the QB's that are currently on the roster. Training camp will decide on who stays and who goes. The Niners will add more QB's on the roster, not only to promote competition but also as camp arm.

There are only so much throws, a QB can do in practice before he gets tired. And jug machines do not accurately portray the skills or abilities of the receiver -- ie on how a receiver can adjust to a human throw that can have irregularities unlike mechanical jug machines...

One has only look at last year's off season and training camp to see that teams will sign and cut players, QB's included, as needed. Remember Josh McCown was signed and was penciled in as the 3rd QB but after the pre-season he was cut in favor of Tolzien. So, you never know who will stick and who will get cut until the regular season starts...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think, as fans, we are over analyzing these signings. Whether or not you consider the Josh Johnson signing good or bad, it should, in no way be construed as a knock on any of the QB's that are currently on the roster. Training camp will decide on who stays and who goes. The Niners will add more QB's on the roster, not only to promote competition but also as camp arm.

There are only so much throws, a QB can do in practice before he gets tired. And jug machines do not accurately portray the skills or abilities of the receiver -- ie on how a receiver can adjust to a human throw that can have irregularities unlike mechanical jug machines...

One has only look at last year's off season and training camp to see that teams will sign and cut players, QB's included, as needed. Remember Josh McCown was signed and was penciled in as the 3rd QB but after the pre-season he was cut in favor of Tolzien. So, you never know who will stick and who will get cut until the regular season starts...

yeah ok but is this more 'exception', or more 'rule'?

while we never know if Andrew Luck is going to get cut till the final roster, some players get more 'hallway pass' than others.

so on a far different level but similar idea..........being Josh Johnson got a TWO year deal vice Tolzien getting 'minimum wage', one of these guys have more 'pass' at this point. being CK is a 2nd round pick, one of these guys have more 'pass'?

regarding 'camp arm', did we need to give out a two year contract for this purpose? so not to make a big deal of of it, but IMO this does tell you SOMETHING about Alex, CK, and Tolzien?