• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Gordon

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my one fantasy league I drafter Calvin and Marshall high, and took a mid round flyer on Gordon to be my backup/waiver week WR.

Now I'm going to bench Marshall and start Gordon. Fantasy wise Calvin and Gordon are 1-2.

There was a guy at my work asking who he should pick up off waivers after the draft. The people at my work don't know too much about football. I saw Gordon there and told him to pick him up and he went for some other guy instead.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they were only asking for a second for him.

If all they wanted was a 2nd rounder he would be playing for someone else.

A 2nd round pick is what all the "reports" were saying. Maybe they wanted more, but I never heard anything more than a 2nd round pick.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it was a 2nd rd pick. 49ers were giving a 3rd. It was reported all over.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's true, I would have offered the 2nd with the caveat being that the deal is only valid if a contract extension can be reached within 72 hours.

Thinking about it, I don't know if he was far enough along in his rookie contract to be offered an extension. Either way, a talent like his doesn't come around very often so when it does, IMO you get him, warts and all.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's true, I would have offered the 2nd with the caveat being that the deal is only valid if a contract extension can be reached within 72 hours.

Thinking about it, I don't know if he was far enough along in his rookie contract to be offered an extension. Either way, a talent like his doesn't come around very often so when it does, IMO you get him, warts and all.

I agree he is becoming a Top 5 WR. Right now the only 2 WRs I rather have is Calvin, and AJ. Again this is my opinion. Maybe Healthy J. Jones.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Gordon wasn't suspended his 1st two games he'd have a chance at the receiving record, currently on a better pace than Calvin last year.

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The second I heard about this rumor I said we should just offer a 1st and make sure we secured our next franchise WR. Just looking at this kid play with garbage QB's last year, you had to get the feeling that he was going to be something special, and this year he is showing it.

You can't always be worried about off the field problems, or if he would end up getting suspended sooner or later, because without those problems he would never ever be available. Only Calvin is better than this kid, and he's quickly closing on Megatron, because of his ability to completely blow the top off of a defense.

I feel like we threw away a lottery ticket by not being more aggressive. This kid would've done wonders for our offense by teaming up with Crabs, VD, and Boldin; who would you double team? Plus Kap would never have to worry about over throwing Gordon.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I and the majority of the folks here were already saying this ever since the rumors had surfaced:

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/3761097-post90.html

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And to think I picked him up as a FA in fantasy after the guy who drafted him inexplicably dropped him after week one. Best. Move. Ever.

I'll be very interested to see if he can keep his nose clean. If so, the sky is the limit for this kid. On a fairly awful team, he is putting up ridiculous numbers.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to think I picked him up as a FA in fantasy after the guy who drafted him inexplicably dropped him after week one. Best. Move. Ever.

I'll be very interested to see if he can keep his nose clean. If so, the sky is the limit for this kid. On a fairly awful team, he is putting up ridiculous numbers.

That could be the worse Fantasy Football move ever. I drafted him in 2 leagues very late and it has paid off tremendously this year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd bet someone offered a 2nd for Gordon, and the Browns refused. I'm thinking they wanted a 1st.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd bet someone offered a 2nd for Gordon, and the Browns refused. I'm thinking they wanted a 1st.

RGIII was begging people in the front office to draft Gordon (supplemental draft), but I guess those folks thought he was just amping up / talking sh8 in order to get a college friend to rejoin him as a teammate in the pros.

I'm not sure at that time if I would have been happy though in offering a 1st for Gordon. I probably would have been okay with it. I like how the first round is starting to look like in this year's draft. Not a lot of depth in certain position but the first two rounds will be fun to watch to say the least.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That could be the worse Fantasy Football move ever. I drafted him in 2 leagues very late and it has paid off tremendously this year.

The guy who dropped him is one of the better players in our league, so it was a real head-scratcher for me. I really wanted Gordon, but he went just before I was planning to grab him. Went with Blackmon instead, which in theory should have worked out almost as well....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was just looking at Gordon's pro day results. He only ran a 4.52. That's decent for a guy with his size, but he plays much faster than that. I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't train for the 40 the way many of these other guys do, though.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was just looking at Gordon's pro day results. He only ran a 4.52. That's decent for a guy with his size, but he plays much faster than that. I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't train for the 40 the way many of these other guys do, though.

He wasn't in the best shape when he worked out for scouts. He was out of football for an entire year, that alone will cause you to build up a little rust. That was clearly a disadvantage for him in comparison to the other receivers who were playing live football that year. There's no telling when or how long he started to really try to get into shape in preparing for the draft. I was really impressed by him during his short time at Baylor. He used to constantly and effortlessly beat DBs deep. Anyone watching him at that time knew he had the potential to be a #1 type receiver in the league.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I don't know if it was considered the best offer by the Browns or by most insiders, but someone reportedly DID offer a 2nd round pick AND a "starting caliber" player to the Browns and they passed on it. I can't remember who had the report so forgive me but I recall that little nugget.

-----

On another note, completely unrelated to Sick's post above, I'm reminded of something I hear a lot that drives me nuts these days when I talk to people about the draft.

It's statements like, "Well, I was saying (insert statement here) this or that months ago when nobody else was, and look, I was right."

I usually don't get up in these people's faces too loudly with my annoyance over that type of statement like that or yell too loudly about it when I hear about it on the phone, but it drives me nuts because even though (insert anybody's name here) said it, that doesn't ALWAYS mean it was the right thing to say then or a smart and ACCURATE thing at the time one said it.

This isn't directed at anybody in this thread, or really any other thread currently going, because I would tell that person directly on here if their statement on here made me have that reaction, but it was just something that came up here where I live recently and I felt the need to say something because it really made me laugh. Maybe others have ever had that kind of feeling often when talking about something sports related.