• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jose Dariel Abreu

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you said, the G's have never gotten into the major international FA market. They also are finally seeing Belt develop.

I can see Boston or Washington going after him, just off the top of my head...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have never participated in a Cuban ex-pat bidding war, but they have been well represented in signing guys from the Caribbean, and also spending lots of money there to sign the top guys.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the G's think Belt has any potential in LF at all, than I can see them getting into the fight. A 7/42 for a Ryan Howard type is a steal.

I don't expect them to sign him, but no one gets involved in these... Until they do.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the G's think Belt has any potential in LF at all, than I can see them getting into the fight. A 7/42 for a Ryan Howard type is a steal.

I don't expect them to sign him, but no one gets involved in these... Until they do.

Who would have guessed the A's would sign Cespedes

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not being flippant, but don't they have Brett Pill already? If they wanted to, the G's could move Belt to LF, Pill to 1st, then use the money to sign someone else they needed, likely a SP.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not being flippant, but don't they have Brett Pill already? If they wanted to, the G's could move Belt to LF, Pill to 1st, then use the money to sign someone else they needed, likely a SP.

Not to be flippant back, but if you want Pill as your other bat in the lineup (and to me you dont, he's a AAAA player for a reason) dont you put Pill in left? that way you still have elite 1B, average at best LF instead of average at best in both positions.

anyway, Pill to me is not a solution

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pill is 28 (29 next month).

If we are going into next season expecting Pill to be a major contributor, than bring on 2015!!

As far as defense, Pill can pick it at 1B as well. I am not sure that he would be considered an upgrade over Belt, but he is no slouch. The decider would be who could handle LF better.

No question I would rather have Abreu, though.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pill is 28 (29 next month).

If we are going into next season expecting Pill to be a major contributor, than bring on 2015!!

As far as defense, Pill can pick it at 1B as well. I am not sure that he would be considered an upgrade over Belt, but he is no slouch. The decider would be who could handle LF better.

No question I would rather have Abreu, though.

I understand that viewpoint. However, Abreu would come at the cost of not being able to spend it elsewhere. I'm not saying Pill is as good or better (and I know you weren't saying I was).

Here's hoping that some more broadcast revenue falls our way and translates to a higher payroll.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be flippant back, but if you want Pill as your other bat in the lineup (and to me you dont, he's a AAAA player for a reason) dont you put Pill in left? that way you still have elite 1B, average at best LF instead of average at best in both positions.

anyway, Pill to me is not a solution

:agree:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why we wouldn't spend our money on Cuban players who seem to be succeeding at a far more realistic clip then the Dominican players as well as being farther along in their development.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why we wouldn't spend our money on Cuban players who seem to be succeeding at a far more realistic clip then the Dominican players as well as being farther along in their development.

I would expect the Giants to inquire as they often do, but I hope if they believe in this kid's talent that they are aggressive in signing him. Moving Belt to LF and having Abreu at 1st would solve two problems, the hole in LF and the middle order bat and acquiring a 4 hitter player through trade would be touggh. With some young pitching on its way, Zito coming off the books, Timmy looking like he is going to be 5-7 million cheaper, this would be a great time to spend on a FA bat. Though I would expect the Rangers or Red Sox to end up signing him if he looks like the player many are talking him up as.

When was the last time we got a FA anyone was actually excited about? Bonds? I'll try to not get my hopes up even a little.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's part of your answer.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear Bobby Evans might be down there too. Giants might be serious about this guy. Big money I hear to sign him.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speculation is he will get more than Puig. Schulman also said Giants are going heavy after two japanese pitchers (one pitcher is 20-0 this season). I'd love to get Abreu

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I heard Baggs also make mention of this in pregame yesterday and my heart did a little backflip. I would love to see the FO make a big splash like this. Puig who? hehehe

But I won't hold my breath. It's BIG money.
I'll just keep my fingers crossed :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

dubabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love this signing

This is probably the greatest thing about the rivalry, how each team pushes the other one, the Giants winning 2 championships obviously pushed the Dodgers to spend like crazy, now the Dodgers are taking the division with all the success of Puig and maybe it forces the Giants to look at this international prospects.

It's a lot of money but if he reaches his potential he becomes a bargain so like with all these players, it's a gamble that sooner or later the Giants will have to take.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love this signing

This is probably the greatest thing about the rivalry, how each team pushes the other one, the Giants winning 2 championships obviously pushed the Dodgers to spend like crazy, now the Dodgers are taking the division with all the success of Puig and maybe it forces the Giants to look at this international prospects.

It's a lot of money but if he reaches his potential he becomes a bargain so like with all these players, it's a gamble that sooner or later the Giants will have to take.

Just curious...

What are your thoughts on the Wheeler/Beltran trade?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speculation is he will get more than Puig. Schulman also said Giants are going heavy after two japanese pitchers (one pitcher is 20-0 this season). I'd love to get Abreu

Masahiro Tanaka is an f'ing stud. He'll be "posted" this off-season (you have to pay off the Japanese team that holds his contract - highest *secret* bid wins - then you have a month to come to a deal with the player).

Forget the 20 wins. ERA of 1.24, WHIP of 0.934, K/BB of 5.74 (down from 8.89 last year and 8.93 the year before!). And he turns 25 this Nov 1st. Six years of this guy would make the Giants even ... gianter ;) !!