• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jose Dariel Abreu

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Masahiro Tanaka is an f'ing stud. He'll be "posted" this off-season (you have to pay off the Japanese team that holds his contract - highest *secret* bid wins - then you have a month to come to a deal with the player).

Forget the 20 wins. ERA of 1.24, WHIP of 0.934, K/BB of 5.74 (down from 8.89 last year and 8.93 the year before!). And he turns 25 this Nov 1st. Six years of this guy would make the Giants even ... gianter ;) !!

Read about him last night. Believe a scout said he has the best cutter (I could be wrong on the type of pitch) in ALL of baseball. MLB, Japan, NCAA, Taiwan, Cuba, whatever

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanaka is being compared to Kuroda, and at age 25 I would take that. Tanaka's numbers compare to Darvish's over their career arcs, but Tanaka doesn't bring the big fastball Darvish has, he's more of a pitch to contact guy. Tanaka doesn't lack experience, he's pitched almost 1300 innings over 7 seasons and he's still only 25 but there is some concern over his work load and future injury history.

The Giants haven't been as seriously linked to Tanaka as Abreu so far but things could change.

On Abreu, he would most likely hand-cuff us a bit in the future. We'd be forced to move Belt to LF, keep Posey at C and Sandoval at 3rd. In a perfect world, Belt is athletic enough to stick in LF (not to worried about that one), Pablo keeps his weight in good playing shape and continues to play 3rd like he is now (he hasn't proved it yet) and Posey avoids serious injury while catching. Abreu is a typical steroids era type 1st-basemen. Lots of power, not a lot of average, big body. We would be looking in pretty good shape going into next year though, assuming we sign Pence and Lincecum.

Pagan-CF
Scutaro-2B
Belt-LF
Posey-C
Pence-RF
Sandoval-3B
Abreu-1B
Crawford-SS

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanaka is being compared to Kuroda, and at age 25 I would take that. Tanaka's numbers compare to Darvish's over their career arcs, but Tanaka doesn't bring the big fastball Darvish has, he's more of a pitch to contact guy. Tanaka doesn't lack experience, he's pitched almost 1300 innings over 7 seasons and he's still only 25 but there is some concern over his work load and future injury history.

The Giants haven't been as seriously linked to Tanaka as Abreu so far but things could change.

On Abreu, he would most likely hand-cuff us a bit in the future. We'd be forced to move Belt to LF, keep Posey at C and Sandoval at 3rd. In a perfect world, Belt is athletic enough to stick in LF (not to worried about that one), Pablo keeps his weight in good playing shape and continues to play 3rd like he is now (he hasn't proved it yet) and Posey avoids serious injury while catching. Abreu is a typical steroids era type 1st-basemen. Lots of power, not a lot of average, big body. We would be looking in pretty good shape going into next year though, assuming we sign Pence and Lincecum.

Pagan-CF
Scutaro-2B
Belt-LF
Posey-C
Pence-RF
Sandoval-3B
Abreu-1B
Crawford-SS

If they sign Abreu, then I think they may let Sandoval walk because of the term of the contract he will want and someone else will give it to him. I think this likely means Buster goes to 3b and they may platoon Sanchez and Susac. I hope they go after both guys and end up with atleast one. I know its just wishful thinking, but it would be nice to get excited about a FA coming in.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He would be a tough fit with Belt's emergence and I don't think the Giants really want to move Belt off first unless they are getting a big-name guy there. I really wonder if they are going to put serious interest in Alexander Guerrero, I think he would be a much better fit long-term.

Last edited by a moderator:

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be a tough fit with Belt's emergence and I don't think the Giants really want to move Belt off first unless they are getting a big-name guy there. I really wonder if they are going to put serious interest in Alexander Guerrero, I think he would be a much better fit long-term.

Is he the MI who Dodgers were close to signing then backed off?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he the MI who Dodgers were close to signing then backed off?

Yes, but the Dodgers didn't back off. They had a deal with his former agent, then Guerrero switched to Boras and nixed it. It's all up in the air now, but I predict he ends up signing with LA at basically the same terms as before.

On Abreu - I'm not surprised the the SFG scouts didn't like him. He doesn't sound like he's as good as Puig, Cespedes, Soler, or Chapman. With the MLB success of 3 out of those 4 (we'll see how Soler does once the Cubbies bring him up), it's easy to get caught up in the hypewagon of SIGN THE CUBANS.

I figure that Brandon Belt / Buster Posey have to be way better options at 1B. Unless the dude proves he can absolutely mash, a 1B without decent defense has no place on an NL roster.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but the Dodgers didn't back off. They had a deal with his former agent, then Guerrero switched to Boras and nixed it. It's all up in the air now, but I predict he ends up signing with LA at basically the same terms as before.

On Abreu - I'm not surprised the the SFG scouts didn't like him. He doesn't sound like he's as good as Puig, Cespedes, Soler, or Chapman. With the MLB success of 3 out of those 4 (we'll see how Soler does once the Cubbies bring him up), it's easy to get caught up in the hypewagon of SIGN THE CUBANS.

I figure that Brandon Belt / Buster Posey have to be way better options at 1B. Unless the dude proves he can absolutely mash, a 1B without decent defense has no place on an NL roster.

I was just making sure it was the same guy haha.

Some scouts have said on Abreu he is better than Cespedes, but we will see

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would he replace Crawford at SS?

No way, he won't be a SS in the Major Leagues. A lot of scouts compare him to Ian Kinsler. He's an offensive-minded player, with good power potential. The way I could see it, Scutaro would still be the starter in 2014 and Guerrero would be his backup. Giants are going to look to rest Scoots more next year because his back really began acting up on him as the year dragged on, so Guerrero would still get plenty of time. Come 2015, Guerrero could take on a bigger role as Scoots would probably be in his final year of baseball.

Guerrero, IMO, would be a much better fit for this team long-term compared to Abreu.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way, he won't be a SS in the Major Leagues. A lot of scouts compare him to Ian Kinsler. He's an offensive-minded player, with good power potential. The way I could see it, Scutaro would still be the starter in 2014 and Guerrero would be his backup. Giants are going to look to rest Scoots more next year because his back really began acting up on him as the year dragged on, so Guerrero would still get plenty of time. Come 2015, Guerrero could take on a bigger role as Scoots would probably be in his final year of baseball.

Guerrero, IMO, would be a much better fit for this team long-term compared to Abreu.

Gotcha. I just saw him listed as a SS on a few places. Only IFA I know anything about is Abreu. So thanks for the info

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Isn't 2014 the last year on Scutaro's deal? I doubt we bring him back for 2015.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank for clearing up the Alexander Guerrero contract thing.

On Abreu, I've heard a lot of mixed things on him. For the Giants case, he needs to be the BEST of the group of hitters from Cuba because if he's not, then the Giants will potentially be in a huge bind in a few short years. Abreu is stuck at 1st, and the Giants have 3 guys that might be destined for that position, Belt, Sandoval, Posey. If Abreu doesn't give the Giants enough reason to believe that he can out-hit all 3 of those guys with enough impact, then they aren't going to sign him.

Guerrero is a much better fit.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant Brisbee just tweeted were the favorites for Abreu

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see the fit. His bat fits easily, yes. But with Belt and Posey, idk. We'll see, he wouldn't cost us the 14th pick, which is a bonus compared to any other good FA we're going to find out there.

Giants had the biggest presence in the DR on Monday to watch him. Sabes, Evans, Alou, Burell were all there.