• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mock Offseason Exercise...

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So every year, I do this little exercise with a few of the old KFFL guys where we do a full NFL off season. We pick teams, then sign FAs, make trades if we want, tag players, and do a full draft. Then, I come on here and post the results. I have to admit that I don't think I have done as well as I have in the past. I wasn't as savvy in getting FA values and I didn't clear out as much cap space as I could have which would have allowed me to spend a little more in FA. Also, I may have gotten too cute in the draft. But, I will let you guys decide on that.

Looking back, I really wish I would have franchised Justin Simmons. I thought the safety market was a little deeper than it was and I ended up losing him and spending about what the tag cost for a lesser player. I only made one trade for a player and that was CB Desmond Trufant (gave up SF's 4th).

Here is what I did in FA...

DT DJ Reader
DE Leonard Williams
S Jimmie Ward
G Zach Fulton
CB Prince Amukamara
T Cameron Erving
C Ryan Kalil
LB Mychal Kendricks
WR Cordarrelle Patterson
WR Demarcus Robinson
DE Adam Gotsis
C Matt Skura
RB DeAndre Washington
TE Seth Devalve
G Ramon Foster
G Ronald Leary (cut, then resigned for less)

I ended up trading down in the first round. I picked up a 2nd to fall back to 25. I could have gotten Ruggs, and even tried to trade back up for him with no luck. Jefferson ended up going right before my pick at 25. I also tried to trade up to get Tee Higgins, who was free falling, and I missed out on that, too. Here is what I did in the draft, though...

1.25 (from Minnesota) - LB Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma
2.46 - RB DeAndre Swift, Georgia
2.57 (from Minnesota) - WR Michael Pittman, Jr, USC
3.77 - OT Prince Tega Wanogho, Auburn
3.83 (from Pitt) - DL Rashard Lawrence, LSU
3.95 (from SF) - CB Amik Robertson, La Tech
4.118 - WR John Hightower, Boise State
5.178 (comp pick) - QB James Morgan, Florida International
7.237 (from NE) - C Jake Hanson. Oregon
7.252 (comp pick) - DE Myles Pinckney, Clemson
7.254 (comp pick) - P Michael Turk, Arizona St

I know I have been saying we don't have a huge need for a RB, but I couldn't pass up Swift in the 2nd. I think I got pretty good value overall and definitely went value over need when drafting. I rebuilt the D line pretty well, but used the shotgun spray for the OL, for the most part. Like I said, not my best work, but not bad. Here is the full roster in somewhat of an order on the depth chart...

QB - Drew Lock, Joe Flacco, Brett Rypien, James Morgan
RB - Phillip Lindsay, DeAndre Swift, Royce Freeman, DeAndre Washington, Khalfani Muhammed
FB - Andy Jonovich
WR - Courtland Sutton, Desean Hamilton, Demarcus Robinson, Michael Pittman, Jr, Cordarrelle Patterson, Tim Patrick, John Hightower, Juwann Winfree, Fred Brown, Diontae Spencer, Bug Howard, Trinity Benson, Kelvin McKnight
TE - Noah Fant, Jeff Heuerman, Seth Devalve. Troy Fumagalli, Jake Butt, Andrew Beck, Austin Fort
T - Cameron Erving, Ja'Wuan James, Garett Bolles, Prince Tega Wanogho, Calvin Anderson, Ka'John Armstrong
G - Zach Fulton, Dalton Risner, Ramon Foster, Ronald Leary, Nico Falah
C - Ryan Kalil, Matt Skura, Jake Hanson, Patrick Morris

DE - Leonard Williams, Adam Gotsis, DeMarcus Walker, Dre'Mont Jones, Billy Winn, Myles Pinckney, Jonathan Harris, Deyon Sizer
DT - DJ Reader, Kyle Peko, Rashard Lawrence, Jay-Tee Tiuli
OLB - Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Justin Hollins, Malik Reed, Malik Carney
ILB - Todd Davis, Kenneth Murray, Alexander Johnson, Mychal Kendricks, Josey Jewell, Josh Watson
CB - Desmond Trufant, Prince Amukamara, Bryce Callahan, Isaac Yiadom, Davantae Harris, Amik Robertson, Shakial Taylor, Alijah Holder, Horace Richardson
S - Kareem Jackson, Jimmie Ward, Duke Dawson, Tyvis Powell, Kahani Smith, P.J. Locke

K - Brandon McManus
P - Colby Wadman, Michael Turk, Trevor Daniel

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bad. I think you may have gotten more quantity in free agency then quality (just keeping it real) but overall not bad. Nice to see you got Reader. Swift in rd 2 is robbery.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Simmons definitely stings. Him at $11.5 million on the tag is robbery really in today's NFL so would have definitely tagged him.

I'm with DC on this of quantity trumped quality. So the overall 53 isn't bad but I'm not sure the starting unit is as strong as it should be. Also would have cut Flacco for sure to open up more cap space and be able to improve the quality signings.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Fem! Just what the heck are you doing with Flacco on the roster anyway?

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Simmons definitely stings. Him at $11.5 million on the tag is robbery really in today's NFL so would have definitely tagged him.

I'm with DC on this of quantity trumped quality. So the overall 53 isn't bad but I'm not sure the starting unit is as strong as it should be. Also would have cut Flacco for sure to open up more cap space and be able to improve the quality signings.
Yeah... I put cutting Flacco off to go after the 2nd wave of FA, but ended up not being as aggressive as i should have been early on and not really needing more cap space. I would have done things a little differently, though, looking back.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Fem! Just what the heck are you doing with Flacco on the roster anyway?
I just couldn't let him go, man. I love a 25 million dollar backup...

:D

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... I put cutting Flacco off to go after the 2nd wave of FA, but ended up not being as aggressive as i should have been early on and not really needing more cap space. I would have done things a little differently, though, looking back.

It has been a weird year for FA in the real NFL so hard to guess how things will always go. Again I like the overall 53-man roster. IF you had taken Ruggs in the 1st I would be going really crazy about it.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you knew then what you know now with signing Gordon, what would you have done different?

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you knew then what you know now with signing Gordon, what would you have done different?
I would have franchised Simmons for sure. That would have freed up another bid spot to use on a different FA, since safety was locked up (we are only allowed to bid on 5 guys at a time). I would have dumped Flacco and restructured a contract, which would free up more cap space to use, probably on an OL (I was pursuing Costanza and Glasgow, who went for much less than they actually signed for) or an ILB.

I wasn't able to watch bids like I have in the past with my work schedule and a new baby and such, so a couple slipped through the cracks. I probably would have shelled out a little more for the OLinemen if I was able to watch it better. Also, I think I would have stayed put and drafted Ruggs instead of trading back. I thought that maybe he or Jefferson would fall to me at 25, but they didn't. I couldn't pass up Swift in the 2nd, but I was going to draft Tee Higgins there and attempts to trade up fell through. Had that gone a little different, I would have felt a lot better about myself.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The correct answer was "I would have released Flacco" ;)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.118 - WR John Hightower, Boise State

and the amount of time you put in it. got you a winner from me.

Overall other then what was stated above not bad I think you got a little too greedy lol...Love ya, buddy, that there was a heck of a haul.

You should have stayed at 15 IMO But I will say those 2 players might might have more impact than Ruggs time will tell