• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joel embiid to undergo surgery

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess this is the reason they took Okafor.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is unfortunate

I don't think anyone expected him to miss this season as well but I'm still not ready to write him off yet
I think the positive is that he reportedly is not feeling pain in the foot - or I could just be looking for anything as a positive

One thing this does do though is at least IMO allows the Sixers avoid the overcrowded front court situation for a bit at least

Hopefully this second surgery goes well and Embiid starts recovering successfully and we will see what he can bring next season

bah... I'm a Sixers fan through and through and grabbing at anything...I believe I tell you...I believe

:)

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is unfortunate

I don't think anyone expected him to miss this season as well but I'm still not ready to write him off yet
I think the positive is that he reportedly is not feeling pain in the foot - or I could just be looking for anything as a positive

One thing this does do though is at least IMO allows the Sixers avoid the overcrowded front court situation for a bit at least

Hopefully this second surgery goes well and Embiid starts recovering successfully and we will see what he can bring next season

bah... I'm a Sixers fan through and through and grabbing at anything...I believe I tell you...I believe

:)
I'm surprised you haven't heard rumors about this. I have been hearing them for a few weeks now. I believe I posted about it somewhere on this board.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard the rumors - just had my fingers in my ears :lalala:
Understandable. The guy looks like a straight beast if he can ever get on the floor. I think he could be worlds better than Okafor if he can get over these injuries.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn shame. He's got loads of talent and from his twitter feed and interviews, seems like a good kid with a good sense of humor

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really sucks for the young man.

I was surprised everyone was so down on them getting Okafor in the draft, seemed pretty obvious to me why they took him. In fact, I thought they were extremely fortunate he was still available.

I saw Embiid play in person in college, and hope since he's young he can still heal from this and have a career.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To bad to see this about Embid, such a good talent too.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad feet are definitely a problem. Hopefully Embiid will not be another Sam Bowie, Andrew Bynum. Those bad feet on a big man can kill a career and hopefully will not be the case with this guy.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is likely out for next season. I feel bad for the kid, but I have to laugh at the 76ers stupid fucking plan.

Joel Embiid To Undergo Second Surgery On Foot, Likely Out For 15-16 Season - RealGM Wiretap

I'm not sure what's so dumb about their plan? They were living in mediocrity post Allen Iverson, either barely sneaking into the playoffs or just missing, they were never going to contend. Then management(the GM before Hinkie) decided to make one of the worst trades in NBA history in acquiring Andrew Bynum. The Sixers gave up Iguodala, Vucevic along with a first round pick for nothing. That happened in the offseason of 2012. Hinkie was hired the next offseason and realized the Sixers needed to start over. Hinkie's acquired a ton of assets since he took over. The Sixers have 4 first round picks next year(including the Lakers top 3 protected pick) And can potentially swap with the Kings next year if they want to. People don't realize how bleak it was when he took over.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what's so dumb about their plan? They were living in mediocrity post Allen Iverson, either barely sneaking into the playoffs or just missing, they were never going to contend. Then management(the GM before Hinkie) decided to make one of the worst trades in NBA history in acquiring Andrew Bynum. The Sixers gave up Iguodala, Vucevic along with a first round pick for nothing. That happened in the offseason of 2012. Hinkie was hired the next offseason and realized the Sixers needed to start over. Hinkie's acquired a ton of assets since he took over. The Sixers have 4 first round picks next year(including the Lakers top 3 protected pick) And can potentially swap with the Kings next year if they want to. People don't realize how bleak it was when he took over.
Well he drafted three centers, two of which are injury prone. And is trading away every player that is even close to good.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he drafted three centers, two of which are injury prone. And is trading away every player that is even close to good.

Noel is a PF and tore his ACL, more of a freak accident than injury prone IMO. And mostly everybody in the Sixers' position last year would have taken Embiid. It was a risk that hasn't worked out, and may never work out. And who's close to good? MCW? He was the 37th most efficient PG in the league last year.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noel is a PF and tore his ACL, more of a freak accident than injury prone IMO. And mostly everybody in the Sixers' position last year would have taken Embiid. It was a risk that hasn't worked out, and may never work out. And who's close to good? MCW? He was the 37th most efficient PG in the league last year.
Noel is more of a true center than a power forward. Okafor and Embiid are both true centers too. None of the three are particularly good from the high post, none have good jump shots, and they all play around the rim. That's going to be very inefficient on offense when you can't pull one of the opposing bigs away from the basket. And MCW is good and has a ton of potential. Right now he's only a smart PG with very good defense, but if he can fix his jump shot, he will be a star player in his league. Are you a sixers fan?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noel is more of a true center than a power forward. Okafor and Embiid are both true centers too. None of the three are particularly good from the high post. And MCW is good and has a ton of potential. Right now he's only a smart PG with very good defense, but if he can fix his jump shot, he will be a star player in his league. Are you a sixers fan?

Yeah, I'm a Sixers fan. And either way PF or Center, 2 of the 3 can be on the floor at the same time. If Embiid were to get healthy, he'd be an ideal PF to go with Okafor, Embiid can step out and hit the 16 footer. That'd be the perfect scenario with Noel then coming off the bench.

MCW isn't really that good. He's average at the PG position, especially in today's NBA. He's not even top 20 at this point. After he got traded to Milwaukee they went 11-18. He's a career 40% FG shooter and 25% career 3 point shooter. And he'll already be 24 entering next season.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm a Sixers fan. And either way PF or Center, 2 of the 3 can be on the floor at the same time. If Embiid were to get healthy, he'd be an ideal PF to go with Okafor, Embiid can step out and hit the 16 footer. That'd be the perfect scenario with Noel then coming off the bench.

MCW isn't really that good. He's average at the PG position, especially in today's NBA. He's not even top 20 at this point. After he got traded to Milwaukee they went 11-18. He's a career 40% FG shooter and 25% career 3 point shooter. And he'll already be 24 entering next season.
Well, at least you are optimistic.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least you are optimistic.

I'd rather be awful for 2-3 years then continuously finish 7-10th in the Eastern Conference. Has the same result at the end of the year, only being awful gets you a top 5 pick, and Hinkie's done a great job at adding assets.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather be awful for 2-3 years then continuously finish 7-10th in the Eastern Conference. Has the same result at the end of the year, only being awful gets you a top 5 pick, and Hinkie's done a great job at adding assets.
What Hinkie is doing doesn't guarantee success. It just guarantees a lot of draft picks. Tanking in the lottery era rarely pays off. Tanking for several years in a row probably won't either. It's an awful strategy that is teaching the center pieces the 6ers have now that losing is ok.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really does suck. I can't say I'm a huge fan, but you never like to see anyone get injured. He not only missed his rookie year, but his SOPHOMORE year too. That is beyond unfortunate. Him, Okafor and Noel would have been a scary rotation to opposing frontcourts.