• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Tressel new Lions OC

ida one

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Tressel would be a good fit for the Lions. He is football savy ank knows how to coach. I think that if he leaves all the tatoo BS behind he will do fine.

You know as well as i do, they need someone to direct them in the right direction

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN

Jim Tressel to Detroit?
January, 16, 2014
JAN 16
12:49
PM ET
By Nic Reiner | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND4TWEET1COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
New Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell is in the process of putting together a staff that can take a talented team to a championship. One of the first names that popped up to have a significant role on Caldwell's staff was former Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel, a colleague of Caldwell's during the one year they were together in Indianapolis. There's even talk that a deal with Tressel is already in place, with only approval from the front office remaining, though that is unconfirmed.

Tressel is currently in a leadership position at the University of Akron but one would think he'd jump without hesitation for a chance to coach in the NFL, especially because he is temporarily banned from coaching in the NCAA because of a show cause penalty. Tressel worked as a replay-review consultant under Caldwell with the Colts in 2011.

For his part, Caldwell shed little light onto Tressel's status with the Lions.

"I'm not going to talk about staff, but I did say I think Tressel's perfectly happy doing what he's doing right now," Caldwell said. "Even though he worked with us in Indy, good friend as well, but I do think he's really pleased with where he is at this stage."

ESPN reporter Pat McManamon makes salient points on why Tressel could end up in the Motor City.

Pat McManamon
Why Tressel to Detroit makes sense
"Tressel could join new Lions coach Jim Caldwell in some capacity of importance. One person close to Tressel even said a deal to bring him to Detroit has been agreed to, pending approval of the front office. That has not been confirmed by the Lions or Tressel, though. Tressel and Caldwell are very close. The two worked together in Tressel’s one season in Indianapolis with the Colts. Tressel spoke very highly of Caldwell on last week’s appearance on Columbus radio station 97.1 The Fan. The University of Akron employs Tressel, and he is a trusted adviser of president Luis Proenza. But Proenza is retiring in the spring, and Tressel is unsure of his status at Akron once a new president is hired. Tressel also has made no secret that he would like to get back into coaching, and because he has a show-cause penalty from the NCAA the most likely destination is the NFL. Tressel’s public statements recently indicate he would be more than willing to talk to the Browns, but the Browns have shown no inclination to include him in the search. The tea leaves are strong that if Tressel does get in the NFL, it will not be in Cleveland. It will most likely be in Detroit."

There's even talk that a deal with Tressel is already in place, with only approval from the front office remaining, though that is unconfirmed.

Please GOD no

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN

There's even talk that a deal with Tressel is already in place, with only approval from the front office remaining, though that is unconfirmed.

Please GOD no

Everyone has been talking about coaching records and why it hurts or helps a situation. Tressel has a career .828 record at OSU. And I know I just posted about coaches in different levels, but my point is that why is it bad to bring in a guy with a crazy good record, when people are also criticizing bringing in guys with bad records? Can't be bc there's tons of scUM fans here can it? :noidea: ;)

I know he's known as a conservative play caller, and that scares me.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has been talking about coaching records and why it hurts or helps a situation. Tressel has a career .828 record at OSU. And I know I just posted about coaches in different levels, but my point is that why is it bad to bring in a guy with a crazy good record, when people are also criticizing bringing in guys with bad records? Can't be bc there's tons of scUM fans here can it? :noidea: ;)

I know he's known as a conservative play caller, and that scares me.

I'm not one of those guys who base everything on records. But yes I hate tressel because of Ohio state

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what to think about this one. I don't really care about the tat shit. I do care that his QB's for the most part were crap. Some of that though is that he ran a highly effective run-heavy O so the top QBs stayed away. Would his Os have been any different if he had a guy who could really sling it? I doubt it but he did run some designed runs when he had a guy that could run. He won a lot of games at OSU along with a title. He has 5 total college national championships. Obviously the guy can coach. But most of all I just hate this douchenozzle. I hate sweatervests, not just because they're ugly, but because Tressel wears them. And I'm not even sure the king of the sweatervest can pull off a Honolulu Blue sweatervest. At the end of the day though I can't say I like the idea of him running the O but I think bringing him in as an Assistant Head Coach and/or a position coach, it would be good for the team.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still nothing official. I will believe it when I see it.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once a player comes to Detroit, I never care of college affilation. I guess if it was a coach my feelings would be the same. I sure as hell never cared about where Chris went to college until it showed during his broadcasting days started.

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bishop i could not have said it any better. the 5 national championships are nothing to sneeze at and his football mind would probably be a good resource for the organization to have but he is also singularly responsible for me hating sweatervests and i dont know that i trust him to be in charge of our offense. especially when his offenses back in ohio werent lighting the world on fire.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tressel is a good college coach.. But I think he would be a bad hire at OC.. His offenses at OSU for most seasons were very vanilla..

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tressel is a good college coach.. But I think he would be a bad hire at OC.. His offenses at OSU for most seasons were very vanilla..

His offenses were based on good rbs and QB that could run. He never developed a true pro style QB or even a QB that could throw well. It also didn't hurt his offenses beat up on B1G schools during an era the B1G was just plain bad. We all know what happens when OSU ran into a good SEC teams.