• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Thome statue

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why laugh? He's a first ballot HOFer, not connected to PEDs and was widely considered one of the nicest guys in the game. Why shouldn't Cleveland honor him?

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree...why laugh???

He is from the area where I live. Went to High School here. He has donated money to several agencies. He has a yearly auction in the name of his mom to raise money for cancer research.

Another nearby town went through a devastating tornado disaster in November. Thome and his wife donated $100,000. He is nothing but a purely nice guy.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree...why laugh???

He is from the area where I live. Went to High School here. He has donated money to several agencies. He has a yearly auction in the name of his mom to raise money for cancer research.

Another nearby town went through a devastating tornado disaster in November. Thome and his wife donated $100,000. He is nothing but a purely nice guy.

Who cares about any of this, none of these things get you into the HoF

Jim Thome hit .276, hit 612 home runs and knocked in 1,699 runs. Those are 1st ballot HoF numbers. And did so without cheating.

Absolutely deserves a statue

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares about any of this, none of these things get you into the HoF

Jim Thome hit .276, hit 612 home runs and knocked in 1,699 run. Those are 1st ballot HoF numbers. And did so without cheating.

Absolutely deserves a statue

Did my post say anything about the HOF???? I was stating why he deserves a statue. Humane, unslfish jesters are what gets fans to fall in love with players.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did my post say anything about the HOF???? I was stating why he deserves a statue. Humane, unslfish jesters are what gets fans to fall in love with players.

I don't think Cleveland is honoring him with a statue because he went to High School in your area.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Cleveland is honoring him with a statue because he went to High School in your area.

Man, you are such a dick...typical Cub fan showing their lack of intelligence.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st smart thing you said so far.......agreeing with me...knew you would come to your senses.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why so sensitive, you two?

Jesus Christ, I couldn't give two fucks what he does, or doesn't donate to.

I'm a baseball fan, not a TMZ fan. His stats earned him the statue, not a blood drive or donations to fight rabies.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
likes like a nerve was struck....love sCrUB fans when the jimmies get twisted.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This quote is from a column was written after Thome signed on with Cleveland a 2nd time.

8/26/11

In 2002, Thome said someone would have to “rip the uniform off my back” before he would leave Cleveland, then signed a six-year, $85 million deal with the Phillies as a free agent.

The outcry wasn’t exactly LeBron James-esque, but some Indians fans found it impossible to forgive. As Cleveland Plain-Dealer columnist Bud Shaw recently observed, “In Cleveland, there's no statute of limitations on holding a grudge.”

Thome comes back to the Tribe - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

Jim Thome statue over a Jim Brown???....really?

Hunter Montana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jim Thome is going to be a stand-up comic after his baseball career? :D

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is the all time leader in Indians home runs - which is great. But he amassed his totals along side McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, Vaughn, Rodriguez, Palmeiro, Ortiz, Giambi, Green, Thomas, Garciaparra, Berkman, Canseco, etc... How is he not linked to steroids?

That said, I have nothing against steroid users. For a while, the league 'allowed' it, and everyone was using them. I just think it is funny and sad that the league is now ostrasizing a few players and lionizing others just because of a few failed or not failed tests.

Hunter Montana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is the all time leader in Indians home runs - which is great. But he amassed his totals along side McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, Vaughn, Rodriguez, Palmeiro, Ortiz, Giambi, Green, Thomas, Garciaparra, Berkman, Canseco, etc... How is he not linked to steroids?

That said, I have nothing against steroid users. For a while, the league 'allowed' it, and everyone was using them. I just think it is funny and sad that the league is now ostrasizing a few players and lionizing others just because of a few failed or not failed tests.

I never really kept up that much with who failed tests, who didn't, who was on some report (like the Mitchell one), etc....but why didn't you list Griffey Jr? From the limited knowledge I have, I never heard of anything that linked him to steroids but he hit over 600 HR. Many players used steroids, but aren't some players clean? How can we definitively tell?

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really kept up that much with who failed tests, who didn't, who was on some report (like the Mitchell one), etc....but why didn't you list Griffey Jr? From the limited knowledge I have, I never heard of anything that linked him to steroids but he hit over 600 HR. Many players used steroids, but aren't some players clean? How can we definitively tell?

I just rattled off some names that popped into my head.... I could have added Griffey.

The main thing is, we can never definitely tell who used or who didn't... If you examine baseball history, you'll notice that 50 HR is a huge, huge number. It is very, very rare to see that number (Hank Aaron hit 44 a few times, but that was his highest)... If you can hit 40 in a year, that is a great season... When suddenly, 5-10 players are hitting 50 on a regular basis, you know someting is amiss... People laughed at Jose Canseco when he said 80-90% of league was on something. I looked around and said, 'damn, he's probably right!'...

Year-by-Year Top-Tens Leaders &amp Records for Home Runs - Baseball-Reference.com

So, now I just assume 'everyone' was using and I don't let it bother me....