• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry says Romo can play 5 more years....

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he means start....I'll take the under. Romo is a warrior, but after all the injuries he's had the last couple of years, I'd say two more after this year will be about it

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo will be 39 in 5 years. Warrior or not, Brett Favre he is not.

Wasn't Jerry just recently bitching and moaning about how much he regretted allowing his crew to pass on Johnny Maziel? Jerry has always been a clown, but he really needs to sit his delusional ass down at this point.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he get this information from professional medical experts or is this his own medical opinion?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo will be 39 in 5 years. Warrior or not, Brett Favre he is not.

Wasn't Jerry just recently bitching and moaning about how much he regretted allowing his crew to pass on Johnny Maziel? Jerry has always been a clown, but he really needs to sit his delusional ass down at this point.

It will be interesting to watch Jerry at the draft this spring. If he was hot and heavy for Johnny Football, he's gonna be in heat over some of the QB's coming out this year after watching Weeden clank it off the turf all day. Jerry had to be having flashbacks to the Drew Henson/Q Carter days and doubling up on the Johnny Walker Black. He knows landing a great QB like Romo as a CFA was 5% good advanced scouting, 95% blind squirrel luck

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to tune out Jerry. He lost me years ago. I'm no doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few weekends ago..just don't think it was the greatest decision to put Romo on a plane and to have him play with 2 broken bones in his back especially with a bye week coming up. You know the Jags are going to come after him and come hard. Risking the whole season right here imo.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want him to make it through this year...

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he get this information from professional medical experts or is this his own medical opinion?

You know Jerry. He listened to the medical experts and then tossed their opinion out the window because they weren't glamorous enough.

Plus - there's that contract thingy.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tell you what I wish for, and I'll get smashed for this but no worries it's just the interweb :)

I hope Romo can finish this year and next. I don't know what the cap hit would be if he retires, if we get any back but someone here I'm sure knows. I'd like for Romo to retire after next year, and I'm not counting on him playing much more this year.

Disclaimer: I know we are still 6-3 and I'm not panicking or thinking the season is over, but instead looking at the long term. I also don't know the rules about signing someone and how long you have to keep them. So ignoring the feasibility of things:

Trade Murray. Sign and trade or tag and trade...something. Get Oakland on the phone and trade our #1 and Murray for their #1. Bottom line, I want a crazy high pick because I want Super Mariota. The kid has good size, a good arm, a good brain, and is a natural born leader. He isn't a trouble maker or bonehead. he can run, but isn't a JFF type "make one read and take off" type of guy.

Trade Dez. Sure, he is a great WR. He's also a bonehead and could have some value. Try to get a #1 for him. Again, sign and trade or tag and trade. Get all we can for him, let TWill/Street/Beasley be our short term future WR corp, which still isn't bad. If you can't get a #1, then at least get multiple good picks for him...a couple of 2nds and a 3rd.

once you have traded off all the really expensive parts, draft the crap out of DLine. Top pick is Mariota, the next 3 are DLine, then BPA with emphasis on RB.

Again, not a give up, but you gotta give to get. Jimmy knew that. he wasn't afraid to get rid of a franchise player in order to stock up. We are strong on offense and pathetic on defense. I don't think we could trade both Dez and Murray, but I'd try. I know in reality we are keeping Dez and likely losing Murray to FA. That's why I would have tried to flip Murray before the deadline.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your thoughts Ford. Dez scares me. He's a great talent but you just have to feel his head is going to explode. Way too emotional. I'd rather they keep Murray since RB's can usually be had at a lower price than a top end receiver. Priority should be getting the defense built up.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign and trade doesn't work that often in the NFL. We all know the contracts are all about the guaranteed money. Yes, there are often guaranteed salaries in future years which will simply be passed to the new team, but a big part of the guaranteed money is almost always the signing bonus. If you sign a guy and then trade him you are on the hook for the cap hit of the signing bonus. Tag and trade sounds better, but just doesn't really happen often. One of the reasons is you take a guy like Dez and tag him. Now a team needs to give you quality draft picks to get him and assume that they aren't those picks up for a one year rental. AND that one year salary they are getting is at top $ and comes with a big cap hit.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and remember...most top players wait until around the July 15th deadline to even sign the tag and after the deadline they can't even negotiate a long term deal any more. So why would a team give up valuable picks for a player they will pay $13M for and have no long term guaranteed rights for? Another issue with the tag is if you tag a player again it's like a 20% increase. So $13M becomes almost $16M in the next year.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What trouble has DEZ caused? It would be dumb to trade him. You have one of the best young receivers in the game and you want to dump him for being emotional LOL Just stupid.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and remember...most top players wait until around the July 15th deadline to even sign the tag and after the deadline they can't even negotiate a long term deal any more. So why would a team give up valuable picks for a player they will pay $13M for and have no long term guaranteed rights for? Another issue with the tag is if you tag a player again it's like a 20% increase. So $13M becomes almost $16M in the next year.

agreed. just depends on how another team values a player. I could see a team with all the parts and needing a no doubt #1 WR willing to take a chance on a tag/trade. thinking off hand, SEA might be willing but they need to replace RB as well. Just thinking about teams with serviceable offense and defense, franchise QB already, and lacking a legit WR: SD, NE, Saints (stretch, but Colston is off his game for somereason), DET (if they let Megatron go as at least one has rumored), Indy. In no way am I saying any of those is crazy enough to trade two 1st's for Dez and a big contract, but they could all use a top 5 WR to complete their team.

Another oddball question since I'm bored, what would be the rules against a situation like this (and not advocating, just throwing stuff at the wall): CLE thinks they have a QB in Hoyer and their drafts have stocked young/cheap players along OL and DL so they decide to give up two #1's for Dez. With all the talk of Romo being done and Jerry's love of JFF, could Dallas then turn around and trade picks including a 1st we just got from CLE for JFF? Or do we have to hold those picks? Wouldn't that be in essence a trade of a tagged player for another player?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What trouble has DEZ caused? It would be dumb to trade him. You have one of the best young receivers in the game and you want to dump him for being emotional LOL Just stupid.

Not sure I said he caused trouble, but that he is a bonehead. No one can really deny that, he pulls stupid stunts and is a diva. Also, didn't say dump him. Dumping him is what SEA did with Rice. I'm saying use his value to get valuable assets to help the team. Turn a top player into multiple picks to help the entire team.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tell you what I wish for, and I'll get smashed for this but no worries it's just the interweb :)

I hope Romo can finish this year and next. I don't know what the cap hit would be if he retires, if we get any back but someone here I'm sure knows. I'd like for Romo to retire after next year, and I'm not counting on him playing much more this year.

Disclaimer: I know we are still 6-3 and I'm not panicking or thinking the season is over, but instead looking at the long term. I also don't know the rules about signing someone and how long you have to keep them. So ignoring the feasibility of things:

Trade Murray. Sign and trade or tag and trade...something. Get Oakland on the phone and trade our #1 and Murray for their #1. Bottom line, I want a crazy high pick because I want Super Mariota. The kid has good size, a good arm, a good brain, and is a natural born leader. He isn't a trouble maker or bonehead. he can run, but isn't a JFF type "make one read and take off" type of guy.

Trade Dez. Sure, he is a great WR. He's also a bonehead and could have some value. Try to get a #1 for him. Again, sign and trade or tag and trade. Get all we can for him, let TWill/Street/Beasley be our short term future WR corp, which still isn't bad. If you can't get a #1, then at least get multiple good picks for him...a couple of 2nds and a 3rd.

once you have traded off all the really expensive parts, draft the crap out of DLine. Top pick is Mariota, the next 3 are DLine, then BPA with emphasis on RB.

Again, not a give up, but you gotta give to get. Jimmy knew that. he wasn't afraid to get rid of a franchise player in order to stock up. We are strong on offense and pathetic on defense. I don't think we could trade both Dez and Murray, but I'd try. I know in reality we are keeping Dez and likely losing Murray to FA. That's why I would have tried to flip Murray before the deadline.

This is actually a great plan, just too late to institute. The guy the club should have traded first was Romo a couple of years ago. If they had, they would have gotten at least a number 1 for him and $108 million they could have spent elsewhere. In other words, resigning Dez and Murray would be easy. Honestly, the trade deadline this year would have been the perfect time to trade Murray, but we couldn't because we are in first place. I think whoever gives Murray a huge deal, us or whoever, is gonna live to regret it. It's his contract year, this is what happens. Career years. He may live up to his new deal for a year or two, but there will be 2-3 years where he is hurt or downhill. Dez, to me. Is the guy you have to pay. He's the one guy who could play up to the level of a big contract for 5-6 more years

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. just depends on how another team values a player. I could see a team with all the parts and needing a no doubt #1 WR willing to take a chance on a tag/trade. thinking off hand, SEA might be willing but they need to replace RB as well. Just thinking about teams with serviceable offense and defense, franchise QB already, and lacking a legit WR: SD, NE, Saints (stretch, but Colston is off his game for somereason), DET (if they let Megatron go as at least one has rumored), Indy. In no way am I saying any of those is crazy enough to trade two 1st's for Dez and a big contract, but they could all use a top 5 WR to complete their team.

Another oddball question since I'm bored, what would be the rules against a situation like this (and not advocating, just throwing stuff at the wall): CLE thinks they have a QB in Hoyer and their drafts have stocked young/cheap players along OL and DL so they decide to give up two #1's for Dez. With all the talk of Romo being done and Jerry's love of JFF, could Dallas then turn around and trade picks including a 1st we just got from CLE for JFF? Or do we have to hold those picks? Wouldn't that be in essence a trade of a tagged player for another player?

I believe the only picks you can't trade are supplemental picks. I'm not sure about picks awarded because of losing a non-exclusive tendered FA (and am too lazy to Google it). If you remember the Walker trade (obviously rules are different) we traded those picks so many times and commingled them with other picks to the point where even Jimmy himself said he has no idea who we ultimately got in that trade. On Dez specifically in your scenario: Are you suggesting trading Dez now? We could do whatever we want with those picks, although it obviously isn't going to happen. Or trading Dez after the season? This would require signing him in some way first because he is a FA. Technically we could trade him after singing him, but who is going to give up 2 first rounders for a player they need to pay all that money to? His trade value at that point is minimal at that point because his salary is basically equal to his value and from our point of view we would have a huge amount of dead money for a guy we just traded. Trading and cutting are in most cases similar when it comes to cap hits. Obviously future year guaranteed salaries would be different.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the only picks you can't trade are supplemental picks. I'm not sure about picks awarded because of losing a non-exclusive tendered FA (and am too lazy to Google it). If you remember the Walker trade (obviously rules are different) we traded those picks so many times and commingled them with other picks to the point where even Jimmy himself said he has no idea who we ultimately got in that trade. On Dez specifically in your scenario: Are you suggesting trading Dez now? We could do whatever we want with those picks, although it obviously isn't going to happen. Or trading Dez after the season? This would require signing him in some way first because he is a FA. Technically we could trade him after singing him, but who is going to give up 2 first rounders for a player they need to pay all that money to? His trade value at that point is minimal at that point because his salary is basically equal to his value and from our point of view we would have a huge amount of dead money for a guy we just traded. Trading and cutting are in most cases similar when it comes to cap hits. Obviously future year guaranteed salaries would be different.

In my scenario we would make a non-exclusive tag to Dez, he would then need to sign with CLE giving us two 1sts, and then we trade one of them back for JFF or someone else. If that timeline works and rules don't prohibit, then you could essentially "trade" an unrestricted FA to another team without having to first sign him to a contract and either give no signing bonus or screw your cap absorbing it.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I SO wish Jerry had the stones to do that Ford... especially with a young offensive line to start with for rebuilding. Looks like he has a guy in Will McClay that understands the type of player needed and a coach who seems to be coming into his own. Add to it getting out from under the salary cap hell he put himself into and it makes all the sense in the world.

Of course... it's Jerry.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody in the war room needs to serve jerrah extra strong drinks with hopes of making him pass out. Then let his football guys make the picks. I think if certain defenders are gone in next draft you draft another offensive lineman to give romo more protection. Martin's versatility allows us to take either best tackle or guard available. Then resign murray and keep running the damn ball

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there's ever been a sign and trade in the NFL. It happens in the NBA cause the original team can give the player a higher max contract then a potential team signing them via FA. The original team is allowed to give more in the NBA but not in the NFL. No team will give up a huge veteran contract AND draft picks. You're gonna have to keep Dez/Murray or let them walk. If I were Dallas I'd give Dez 100,000,000 bucks and franchise Murray for two years and run him into the ground.