• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeff Fisher Was Forced To Draft Jared Goff??

Raminator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Stephen A. Smith Show on SiriusXM Radio yesterday, former NFL and USC star WR Keyshawn Johnson said that according to his “outside and inside people”, Los Angeles Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher was “forced” to draft 2016 NFL Draft #1 overall pick Jared Goff (key quote starts at 38:57 mark):

Johnson: Well, I think [Jared Goff’s benching] is about everybody. I think it’s the people that have to get Jared Goff prepared. I think it’s about the individuals that made the decision to draft him, whether it was Kevin Demoff or whether it was Les Snead with a little bit of help from Jeff Fisher.

From my outside people and the inside people that I know with the Rams, that wasn’t the choice that Jeff Fisher really wanted. I think he was basically forced to draft Jared Goff.

Smith: Who did he want?

Johnson: I think he wanted more players. I think he wanted more players because he felt that he could be more competitive with more players, but they felt they needed to make a splash moving into Los Angeles and drafting a quarterback.

Look. I don’t care what anybody say, and I say this all the time. I’ve seen Jared Goff for three years. Three years out here in the Pac-12. I like him. He’s a nice kid, but he wouldn’t have been my #1 overall pick. He just wouldn’t have been. He doesn’t give me...

This isn’t Andrew Luck or Cam Newton we’re talking about. You don’t move up to take this type of guy.

The evaluation of Goff? That’s secondary.

Consider the charge Johnson is making here. That the Rams forced their head coach, who has been reportedly in charge of personnel decisions since being hired in 2012, to trade up to the #1 overall spot to draft a quarterback not on the merits of his football capability, but to “make a splash” following the relocation of the franchise from St. Louis to Los Angeles.

That’s a damning accusation. It suggests that the Rams aren’t sincerely trying to field the best football team possible. It reinforces the suggestion I’ve made that the Rams don’t prioritize winning, but does so in much more deleterious fashion.

What Johnson is suggesting is that not only do the Rams not prioritize winning, but they’re actively subverting their chances at winning to “make a splash,” to sell fans on style over substance.

Keep in mind, this is a franchise that posted the worst offense in the NFL by several metrics and kept that offense intact, save for former leading receiver TE Jared Cook and ex-starting QB Nick Foles. Their entire starting offense for Week 1 of 2016 was comprised of members of the NFL’s worst offense in 2015. Why? Because the Rams didn’t have the draft capital to address the offense in any meaningful way after trading up to get Jared Goff. They’ve tossed in their first-round and third-round picks from the 2017 NFL Draft as well meaning this year’s offense, which started the season by putting up a shutout in San Francisco on Monday, is unlikely to get much substantial capital support through next year’s draft.

It’s one hell of an accusation that I’m eager to see media follow up on.

Johnson is part of a new morning show for ESPNLA 710AM, Los Angeles’ ESPN Radio affiliate, with Jorge Sedano and columnist LZ Granderson debuting a week from today.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Stephen A. Smith Show on SiriusXM Radio yesterday, former NFL and USC star WR Keyshawn Johnson said that according to his “outside and inside people”, Los Angeles Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher was “forced” to draft 2016 NFL Draft #1 overall pick Jared Goff (key quote starts at 38:57 mark):

Johnson: Well, I think [Jared Goff’s benching] is about everybody. I think it’s the people that have to get Jared Goff prepared. I think it’s about the individuals that made the decision to draft him, whether it was Kevin Demoff or whether it was Les Snead with a little bit of help from Jeff Fisher.

From my outside people and the inside people that I know with the Rams, that wasn’t the choice that Jeff Fisher really wanted. I think he was basically forced to draft Jared Goff.

Smith: Who did he want?

Johnson: I think he wanted more players. I think he wanted more players because he felt that he could be more competitive with more players, but they felt they needed to make a splash moving into Los Angeles and drafting a quarterback.

Look. I don’t care what anybody say, and I say this all the time. I’ve seen Jared Goff for three years. Three years out here in the Pac-12. I like him. He’s a nice kid, but he wouldn’t have been my #1 overall pick. He just wouldn’t have been. He doesn’t give me...

This isn’t Andrew Luck or Cam Newton we’re talking about. You don’t move up to take this type of guy.

The evaluation of Goff? That’s secondary.

Consider the charge Johnson is making here. That the Rams forced their head coach, who has been reportedly in charge of personnel decisions since being hired in 2012, to trade up to the #1 overall spot to draft a quarterback not on the merits of his football capability, but to “make a splash” following the relocation of the franchise from St. Louis to Los Angeles.

That’s a damning accusation. It suggests that the Rams aren’t sincerely trying to field the best football team possible. It reinforces the suggestion I’ve made that the Rams don’t prioritize winning, but does so in much more deleterious fashion.

What Johnson is suggesting is that not only do the Rams not prioritize winning, but they’re actively subverting their chances at winning to “make a splash,” to sell fans on style over substance.

Keep in mind, this is a franchise that posted the worst offense in the NFL by several metrics and kept that offense intact, save for former leading receiver TE Jared Cook and ex-starting QB Nick Foles. Their entire starting offense for Week 1 of 2016 was comprised of members of the NFL’s worst offense in 2015. Why? Because the Rams didn’t have the draft capital to address the offense in any meaningful way after trading up to get Jared Goff. They’ve tossed in their first-round and third-round picks from the 2017 NFL Draft as well meaning this year’s offense, which started the season by putting up a shutout in San Francisco on Monday, is unlikely to get much substantial capital support through next year’s draft.

It’s one hell of an accusation that I’m eager to see media follow up on.

Johnson is part of a new morning show for ESPNLA 710AM, Los Angeles’ ESPN Radio affiliate, with Jorge Sedano and columnist LZ Granderson debuting a week from today.
Maybe he nor Les were not 'forced' rather maybe, they brokered a deal.

Snisher: "Okay Kevin we'll do it but we get a long term contract extension."

Kevin: "You guys wont regret this, trust me. Stan and I know what we're doing"

Snisher: "Sigh!"

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D. sanders is a M. Irvin, clone, they both have a lot to say, but nothing that's relevant!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the story. Fisher isn't that dumb he got all those picks for rg3. why would you turn around and make the same dumb mistake. this was stan and Kevin wanting to make a big splash taking the good looking Cali boy. In return Fisher and Snead will get a 3 year deal all guarenteed and will be fired when the new stadium opens when stan hires the biggest name available. Watch. Of course they didn't imagine Goff would be so bad he couldn't play LOL.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is true then this could really backfire and blow up in their faces! I foresee in the near future a whole bunch of RAM losses(shut outs) and thus leading to empty seats! With no future draft picks available, Snisher will have to rely on free agency! Please tell me what big name free agents will want to come here?

Raminator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In return Fisher and Snead will get a 3 year deal all guarenteed and will be fired when the new stadium opens when stan hires the biggest name available. Watch. Of course they didn't imagine Goff would be so bad he couldn't play LOL.

This actually makes sense. If you keep the "splashes" coming, the fans will come. Lord knows the "quality" product won't keep them coming for long.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a flippin' dog and pony show this franchise continues to be! And everyone wonders why our players don't exert a full effort on every game. Who cares! They are all getting paid with ridiculous, no-performance-based contract extensions. "Hey man, I'm gettin' paid; Screw everything else!"

There is now no real purpose other than to appear like everyone cares about winning to keep getting gobs of money but little is actually done to reach that goal, individually and as a team. From Demoff right down to the water boyz, everyone is just acting like they care, but then they step on the field and play worse than Pop Warner kids.

WE are the only team that scored ZERO points last week! ZERO!!! Who does that? Even Miami, SF, Cleveland, Chicago, and Jacksonville put something on the board!! We ran around like a bunch of dam overpaid idiots and did nothing! Pathetic!!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good football decision would've been to keep all of the picks or trade down for some picks. A good football decision wouldn't have been to hamper a team that was already devoid of a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball to begin with by taking picks away that could help them. Also, a good football decision would've been canning Jeff Fisher and Snead at the end of last season instead of extending these clowns for another three years.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is great if true, that means Goff will be great in this league because Fisher really didn't want him.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is great if true, that means Goff will be great in this league because Fisher really didn't want him.
You may or may not be tongue in cheek, but either way, wasn't Fish forced to draft and play Vince Young?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not buying this story whatsoever. I need more than Keyshawn trying to become an insider on A.S.S.'s shouting show with some unnamed sources. What other news has Key broken in the past?

Goff is active this week. Should Keenum continue to see Casper, he could be in the game before you know it. Regardless, he's taking methodical steps to be ready once he does hit the field.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not buying this story whatsoever. I need more than Keyshawn trying to become an insider on A.S.S.'s shouting show with some unnamed sources. What other news has Key broken in the past?

Goff is active this week. Should Keenum continue to see Casper, he could be in the game before you know it. Regardless, he's taking methodical steps to be ready once he does hit the field.

If your Mannion don't you have to wonder how Goff jumped over you on the depth chart?

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may or may not be tongue in cheek, but either way, wasn't Fish forced to draft and play Vince Young?

Yeah, that's what I've heard too. Then they sign Kerry Collins who had a late-career resurgence and took the job from Young.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch what happens. If we go sour with Keenum, he gets yanked and Goff comes in. Goff goes south and they bring in Mannion, if he suits u,p and he takes to a win. Mannion is the starter for the rest of the year, just like the Young/Collins scenario in Tennessee and Fisher looks like the drama queen that he is. :pound:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your Mannion don't you have to wonder how Goff jumped over you on the depth chart?

Absolutely not. #1 overall draft pick, gave up 5 picks to move up and get him. Goff is on a plan taking incremental steps. Being #3 the first week was part of that plan. I'm sure it was explained to Mannion.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch what happens. If we go sour with Keenum, he gets yanked and Goff comes in. Goff goes south and they bring in Mannion, if he suits u,p and he takes to a win. Mannion is the starter for the rest of the year, just like the Young/Collins scenario in Tennessee and Fisher looks like the drama queen that he is. :pound:

Or, Keenum beats Seattle.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. He probably knows that Keenum won the job in the preseason and Goff is the new golden boy and he's a man without a country. So he's probably happy just cashing his paycheck every week. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to trade him to a team that might need a backup due to an injury at the position and used Hekker as a 3rd stringer.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to trade him to a team that might need a backup due to an injury at the position and used Hekker as a 3rd stringer.
I would be totally surprised!

Had Kneenum not seen dead people and put on a better showing in his last two starts, maybe not. But to me it's clear, they want these two young guns from the PAC 12 as their No. 1 & No. 2 QB's.

Case will be the odd man out next season.