• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jay's deal redone .

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly adds 4 mil. of cap room.
I'm no cap guy , so don't ask me how.
I'm asking, why now .
Could Allen still be in play? Or another free agent?
Thought we had enough to sign draft picks .
Some on this board said it wouldn't happen. Jay's restructuring .
I thought it would if there was a player they wanted.
Just don't know who they want.
Help me out.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm... interesting to see what occurs over the next couple of weeks with this.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the other boards I visit, seems a lot of Allen talk. And speculation it going towards resigning BM.
Both make sense to me. Wouldn't mind Allen for a yr. or 2 though. Seems Phil likes to wait on re signings.
But who knows.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm asking, why now .
Help me out.

How.

They change a bigger part of his salary into a signing bonus and give him a check for 4 million dollars. Then they move that four million to a later year of the cap, so instead of him accounting for 22.5 this season, and 12.5 next season, he will currently be accounting for 18.5 this year and 16.5 next year. You are just taking away from what can be done next year when we need to resign Marshall, extend Jeffrey and replace Briggs.

We saw different numbers of what is left, I have seen as low as 1.5 million, and someone said 5 million is required to sign your draft picks.

C

cubzzzfanincali

interesting. Bears now at $10.49 million. Says to me they could sign someone for maybe $4.5 million. Thank God Dirty Sanchez is gone. Huge new contract for Major Wright? Nah!

I'm going to guess in order of decreasing likeliness:
1) strongside linebacker
2) Ayers
3) surprise extension of B Marshall (why need to do that now though?)
4) Brian De La Puente (maybe I am dreaming)
5) Jared Allen (I was guessing he wanted quite a bit more money than this though which is why he's at #5 and not higher)
6) safety (but who? nobody is left. Clemons? Meh.)
7) O line depth
8) tight end

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought JA went to the Seahawks??

I figured Jay would restructure a little.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How.

They change a bigger part of his salary into a signing bonus and give him a check for 4 million dollars. Then they move that four million to a later year of the cap, so instead of him accounting for 22.5 this season, and 12.5 next season, he will currently be accounting for 18.5 this year and 16.5 next year. You are just taking away from what can be done next year when we need to resign Marshall, extend Jeffrey and replace Briggs.

We saw different numbers of what is left, I have seen as low as 1.5 million, and someone said 5 million is required to sign your draft picks.

The $5 million is being spread out over the next 5 years so its a $1mil per year cap hit, basically. Yea with $10mil in cap room, and $5mil ish needed for draft picks what's left over is probably just for after camp releases and pick ups? You never know what Vet gets the boot but could help our team and for any injury pick ups during the season. My guess Emery just wanted a little bit of breathing room. I don't expect much in the way of signings, I think he would have gone bigger with the contract movement.

There is a bit of carry over allowed with Cap room, so even if the Bears don't spend it, it isn't all lost.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...

I'm not going to speculate though. The Bears need safeties, but who?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The $5 million is being spread out over the next 5 years so its a $1mil per year cap hit, basically. Yea with $10mil in cap room, and $5mil ish needed for draft picks what's left over is probably just for after camp releases and pick ups? You never know what Vet gets the boot but could help our team and for any injury pick ups during the season. My guess Emery just wanted a little bit of breathing room. I don't expect much in the way of signings, I think he would have gone bigger with the contract movement.

There is a bit of carry over allowed with Cap room, so even if the Bears don't spend it, it isn't all lost.

Its just questioning why now. If they didnt know how much they needed, why do this over and over?

As far as 5 years, we all know this is gonna keep happening to free up money, but we also need to remember the first three years are guaranteed at 54 million, so regardless when they claim he will get paid these dollars, if for some reason he is not our quarterback in 4 years whatever gets moved is dead money. A million dollars is not alot of money when you are gonna be talking to marshall for another 8-10 million or more per year deal. If he has another big year, how can you pay him less than the 9.5 he makes this year?

I still want them to fix Jeffrey before Marshall anyway. Once Marshall gets 10 million jeffrey is gonna want to be in that neighborhood. I say he signs cheap for his years 4-7 if you pay him first.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...

I'm not going to speculate though. The Bears need safeties, but who?

Might be some draft day movement for a player under contract.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm asking, why now .
Help me out.

I`m also no cap guy,and no one else on this board is either.
I do not, will not listen to anyone that says the bears have no money to spend won`t get any big name free agents......Well they picked up Houston which is a big name player.Not the biggest there ever was,but big.
I said the bears would sign one and they did.
These people in the Bear organization know 10xs more than even the smallest amount of knowledge that someone writes on here what they know about caproom..........plain and simple.

And heres to hoping we can get another d-lineman.:suds:

C

cubzzzfanincali

I`m also no cap guy,and no one else on this board is either.
I do not, will not listen to anyone that says the bears have no money to spend won`t get any big name free agents......Well they picked up Houston which is a big name player.Not the biggest there ever was,but big.
I said the bears would sign one and they did.
These people in the Bear organization know 10xs more than even the smallest amount of knowledge that someone writes on here what they know about caproom..........plain and simple.

And heres to hoping we can get another d-lineman.:suds:

while Houston wasn't "big name", he's a better signing than I hoped for. Other than that, the Bears haven't signed anyone big unexpected, and until they redid Jay's deal, would have needed to start cutting. Any shit-for-brains like me can see their roster is thin and couldn't resign half the guys they had.

try to pooh pooh it all you want Wood, it's not hard to understand the cap. go ahead, wish for a big name signing. I'll send you a poster of whoever they sign and you can jack off to your heart's content.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep the Cutler years a comin' boys.

No problem.

Just keep doing... well... whatever it is you guys have been doing since the Eisenhower administration.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Basically, the Bears whole offseason can be described like this. We signed and cut most of the guys we were expected to cut or resign, signed Willie young instead of Corey Wootton, signed some scrub veterans for some defensive roster spots at cheap contracts, and cut Earl Bennett and Michael Bush to pay for Houston on the D line.

That's basically it. No fundamental shift to a 3-4, but the option is clearly open. No major surprises, like trading Briggs. Just a decent job and a decision to take a chance on the WR/RB health in exchange for a decent, undervalued D Lineman.

Not bad, not revolutionary.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Cubzzz, it looks like I was wrong, they WERE making cap room for a big move. What do you think of the off season now? heh.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Well, Cubzzz, it looks like I was wrong, they WERE making cap room for a big move. What do you think of the off season now? heh.

Yeah, I don't know, I was surprised too. I have mixed feelings on it. I mean, I agree it changes anyone's assessment of the offseason, and probably we will have a better team in 2014, but I don't like the cost and cap effects. I think we got a good deal for Houston but I wouldn't say the same for Allen. That being said, he is here, and it certainly gives the line a lot more flexibility. If we keep Idonije, that makes 4 guys on the D line that can theoretically at least man 2 positions (Paea either DT, Ratliff either DT, Houston/Idonije end or 3-tech). You also have to remember Shea is going to get some snaps in pass rushing situations. So it gives Tucker some options, and we suddenly have good depth at DE.

But it will cost us. It was already going to be tough to both resign Marshall and extend Jeffery, now it is going to be even harder. I guess we can worry about that next year. It's definitely a move that Emery is basically saying "win now" with.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How.

Read somewhere that the Bears signed all their picks last year for under 3 mil.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while Houston wasn't "big name", he's a better signing than I hoped for. Other than that, the Bears haven't signed anyone big unexpected, and until they redid Jay's deal, would have needed to start cutting. Any shit-for-brains like me can see their roster is thin and couldn't resign half the guys they had.

try to pooh pooh it all you want Wood, it's not hard to understand the cap. go ahead, wish for a big name signing. I'll send you a poster of whoever they sign and you can jack off to your heart's content.

i guess you will be sending me a poster of houston and Allen now............:laugh3: