• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jay Gruden in over his head

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden has to land on a QB. Doesn't matter which one it is but he can't keep changing over and over. He had a reason to bench Griffin. But somewhere along the line he has to pick a guy and coach him. He didn't do that with Cousins, he didn't do that with Griffin. It appears that he is not decisive right now.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden has to land on a QB. Doesn't matter which one it is but he can't keep changing over and over. He had a reason to bench Griffin. But somewhere along the line he has to pick a guy and coach him. He didn't do that with Cousins, he didn't do that with Griffin. It appears that he is not decisive right now.

I agree. My bet is that Colt's neck injury will mean that RG3 is our starter again. Unless injured, he will probably finish the season out.

What are the odds that Gruden is back next year? I give it 50-50 right now. If he leaves, it will be under his own accord. Although that's a lot of money to walk away from.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: You got me chuckling Stymietee.......

However, that position could be made for any QB in the draft. The question is what is the probability of Winston becoming an NFL franchise QB vs him imploding. He is almost unmanageable now in college. What do you think happens when he has a couple Million in his pocket and at city telling him how great he is? I'd bet the chances are he gets worse before he gets better.

I'm not sure how old you are, but if the question presented to me was......compare yourself now to the person you were, after completing your undergraduate degree. I would have to admit that at graduation I was still a victim of my youth. The difference now is that time has offered me the benefit of hindsight where before impulse and exuberance motivated me.

These are young men that we speak of, who with great depth and clarity, peer at those who preceded them, settled and mainstreamed and vow to themselves "not yet!"

Sure, we see the dangers in their impulsiveness and have no issue when pointing them out, but honestly, how many of us would have traded our youth when we had it in favor of a life filled with hindsight?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. My bet is that Colt's neck injury will mean that RG3 is our starter again. Unless injured, he will probably finish the season out.

What are the odds that Gruden is back next year? I give it 50-50 right now. If he leaves, it will be under his own accord. Although that's a lot of money to walk away from.

I don't know what to think anymore. This organization has become such a mess. Snyder seems to want to learn from his mistakes every few years and hire a Shottenheimer, Gibbs or Shanahan but then he screws with them or their system. Next thing you know we have a Spurrier, Zorn or Gruden. I don't think he is capable of fixing the mess he has made. :noidea:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what to think anymore. This organization has become such a mess. Snyder seems to want to learn from his mistakes every few years and hire a Shottenheimer, Gibbs or Shanahan but then he screws with them or their system. Next thing you know we have a Spurrier, Zorn or Gruden. I don't think he is capable of fixing the mess he has made. :noidea:

The problem is that Snyder envisions himself as a Jerry Jones and not a Robert Kraft. In reality, He is a poor mans Al Davis. Pretty soon I expect we will see him the velour work out suits.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that Snyder envisions himself as a Jerry Jones and not a Robert Kraft. In reality, He is a poor mans Al Davis. Pretty soon I expect we will see him the velour work out suits.

LMAO!!! Yep, I had a post not long ago likening him to Jones and Davis. Maybe he'll get diamond eye glass holders.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not coming here to troll or start anything but I do agree with the posters that said you need to not worry about a big name QB right now but go after O-Line in the next few drafts. Get the running game going again and you will not need the best QB in the league. RG3, Cousins or Colt will win you guys a lot of games behind a decent OL. RG3s best season was also the season that Morris ran for 1600 yards.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk if he's over his head or not, but he's not handling losing well at all. Maybe that's a good sign, but the stuff he's saying in the media about wanting players who want to play here sounds like a rookie HC...the players know damn well it's easier to get rid of one contract vs 20 or 30.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not coming here to troll or start anything but I do agree with the posters that said you need to not worry about a big name QB right now but go after O-Line in the next few drafts. Get the running game going again and you will not need the best QB in the league. RG3, Cousins or Colt will win you guys a lot of games behind a decent OL. RG3s best season was also the season that Morris ran for 1600 yards.

Good plan. The flaw in it is that it would take 2-3 drafts and none of our current Qbs are under contract for that long. Colt is on a one year deal, and Griffin and Cousins deals end after next year. So we basically have one year left to figure out if griffin or Cousins can be a long term solution.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good plan. The flaw in it is that it would take 2-3 drafts and none of our current Qbs are under contract for that long. Colt is on a one year deal, and Griffin and Cousins deals end after next year. So we basically have one year left to figure out if griffin or Cousins can be a long term solution.

Disagree that it will take 2-3 drafts to address the O-line. Sure they should use all of those drafts to at least partially upgrade the line. However - even one draft that is primarily focused on O-line help could do wonders, but it needs to be done with some conditions.

You have to have superior O-line coaching & patience to work with young players on the line. Most players don't simply develop on their own. Let's say (assuming no trades) that they use their first overall pick on an O-lineman followed by another lineman a few rounds later. Add players like Moses into the mix, let T. Williams get a little healthier & the results could be very good given a little time. Another prerequisite for this is very good scouting to ensure that they are making the correct picks.

Again - coaches & fans need to be patient. Don't simply say things like "Moses sucks - get rid of him" How does anyone know if you don't give these players a little time. Same might be true even with a player drafted in the top 5. IMO - one of the worst traits of this team is poor player development. Get some players, coach them up & retain them for a while & see what happens. Remember O-lines work as a unit & not simply 5 guys. The more they work with each other the better. It might even dramatically help the play of certain current players that many here believe are terrible.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SoCal... if this team had even half a clue, I would say it shouldnt take more than two seasons. But with this front office, you have to add 2-4 years to the normal time table for any thing.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SoCal... if this team had even half a clue, I would say it shouldnt take more than two seasons. But with this front office, you have to add 2-4 years to the normal time table for any thing.

Touche. Not to mention that these clowns might just use the first pick on a QB in which case it might take 10 years!

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's move on to plan "C". Here me out here please...

As most of you know, I'm a big Griffin fan or any other QB on our team. I admit ALL of our QB's on the roster have deficiencies however, the true reason for our demise has been personnel, (lack of adequate offensive line), poor personnel decisions, poor drafts, cap penalty and poor coaching. But, it's way too early to dismiss Gruden after one season so we retain him and accomplish the following:

1. Make immediate plans once the season ends to dismiss Haslett & his coaches on defense.

2. Make immediate plans to dismiss Chris Forester once the season ends.

3. Hire a GM of personnel to focus on scouting and the upcoming draft. (Personnel & roster)

4. Notify Bruce Allen his primary role is to focus on financials within the organization, not personnel.

5. Make every effort to trade Griffin and Garcon. Get what you can for them. Preferably draft picks.

6. During season ending player exit interviews, notify Moses & Long they must prepare to take their game to the next level as Guards for this team next year.

7. Draft Bryce Petty with our 1st pick in 2015. Let Cousins remain the backup.

8. Draft our new center with our 2nd round pick. Possibly trade down a few spots to pick up additional pick if we can get the center we want.

9. Go get best available RT in FA. (Williams, Long, Draft pick, Moses & FA) New line. Keep Lavau & Compton for now as backups.

10. Focus on defensive side in next years draft & FA. Find safeties, LB & Corner. (Speed & more speed on defense)

11. Hire a new defensive staff & offensive line coach.

You guys can fill in the names but its time to move on from this mess of a defensive coaching staff, an inept offensive line and finger pointing at Griffin. Let him and the organization move on to a fresh start. Its best for all at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's move on to plan "C". Here me out here please...

As most of you know, I'm a big Griffin fan or any other QB on our team. I admit ALL of our QB's on the roster have deficiencies however, the true reason for our demise has been personnel, (lack of adequate offensive line), poor personnel decisions, poor drafts, cap penalty and poor coaching. But, it's way too early to dismiss Gruden after one season so we retain him and accomplish the following:

1. Make immediate plans once the season ends to dismiss Haslett & his coaches on defense.

2. Make immediate plans to dismiss Chris Forester once the season ends.

3. Hire a GM of personnel to focus on scouting and the upcoming draft. (Personnel & roster)

4. Notify Bruce Allen his primary role is to focus on financials within the organization, not personnel.

5. Make every effort to trade Griffin and Garcon. Get what you can for them. Preferably draft picks.

6. During season ending player exit interviews, notify Moses & Long they must prepare to take their game to the next level as Guards for this team next year.

7. Draft Bryce Petty with our 1st pick in 2015. Let Cousins remain the backup.

8. Draft our new center with our 2nd round pick. Possibly trade down a few spots to pick up additional pick if we can get the center we want.

9. Go get best available RT in FA. (Williams, Long, Draft pick, Moses & FA) New line. Keep Lavau & Compton for now as backups.

10. Focus on defensive side in next years draft & FA. Find safeties, LB & Corner. (Speed & more speed on defense)

11. Hire a new defensive staff & offensive line coach.

You guys can fill in the names but its time to move on from this mess of a defensive coaching staff, an inept offensive line and finger pointing at Griffin. Let him and the organization move on to a fresh start. Its best for all at this point.

I agree with everything you have said except for trading Garcon and Griffin.

If we ever get things right on the line and at QB, our WR group could be lethal.

And for all we gave up to get Griffin, unless we are going to get something good back, I could care less about him getting a fresh start. IM for whats best for the team not so much the player

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you have said except for trading Garcon and Griffin.

If we ever get things right on the line and at QB, our WR group could be lethal.

And for all we gave up to get Griffin, unless we are going to get something good back, I could care less about him getting a fresh start. IM for whats best for the team not so much the player

what you paid for griffin in the past is of no consequence at all that ship has sailed . if you need to move on then move on

petty , at this point isnt a top ten pick and i am not sure he is any different then griffin as far as being a pocket passer now picking him later is an option

the LOS on both sides of the ball need attention badly

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what you paid for griffin in the past is of no consequence at all that ship has sailed . if you need to move on then move on

petty , at this point isnt a top ten pick and i am not sure he is any different then griffin as far as being a pocket passer now picking him later is an option

the LOS on both sides of the ball need attention badly

I would be really interested in how much attention or film you have watched of Petty? Look, Gruden needs his own guy (clearly Griffin isn't it for him) and we also need OLine help, that is apparent. So why not start anew and go from there.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be really interested in how much attention or film you have watched of Petty? Look, Gruden needs his own guy (clearly Griffin isn't it for him) and we also need OLine help, that is apparent. So why not start anew and go from there.

i have watched a lot of games on petty because i was looking at him for the mid rounds possibly

its early in the process and ratings will change but really we need to draft LOS early and often on both sides of the ball

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we trade Griffin right now we would be lucky to get a half eaten Ham and Fumundacheese sandwich and a conditional 6th round pick. It would signal that not one but TWO coaches had NO faith in him.

So keep him, get the O-line fixed, and if he still cant get it right, you can vote for him for Texas state senator in a few years.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we trade Griffin right now we would be lucky to get a half eaten Ham and Fumundacheese sandwich and a conditional 6th round pick. It would signal that not one but TWO coaches had NO faith in him.

So keep him, get the O-line fixed, and if he still cant get it right, you can vote for him for Texas state senator in a few years.

aaaaah yes the heath shuler political training program :10::whistle:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just checked out three mock drafts and Petty is not predicted to go in the 1st round of any of them. Hundley is considered the 3rd best QB right now and only other QB with a possible 1st round grade.

So I Googled Petty and here is a report on him:

WEAKNESSES: Often predetermines his reads and locks in to his primary target, struggling to consistently diagnose the defense to work through his progressions. He is always in shotgun formation and isn't asked to move his feet unless he has to and once he's pressured, Petty is out of his element, struggling to reset his base or eyes.

Petty tests a lot of vertical throws with a lot of bucket tosses, but he doesn't throw for a high percentage downfield and often throws up passes that can be best categorized as 50-50 balls.

NFL teams are already weary about quarterbacks from spread offenses, and some of Petty's 2014 game tape won't help his draft stock.
COMPARES TO: Brandon Weeden, Cowboys -- Petty is reminiscent of a younger, more athletic version of Weeden, coming from a spread offense that relies on a lot of quick, one-read plays that make it easy to identify single match-ups.

You want to draft Weeden Part 2 in the 1st round????