• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jay Cutler Won't Vaccinate His Children

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And your link is woefully lacking. How old was the infant and was it vaccinated or not?

The media has one spin on the increase in pertussis cases and researchers have a completely different one. These outbreaks do NOT seem to be related to a very small drop in vaccination , but rather a waning in vaccine effectiveness. Go read on that for a while. Go beyond the press releases

I'm not interested. Just pointing to an example of a horrible tragedy to counter your anecdotal account of another tragedy.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And more boys die from being circumsized than kids died from chicken pox every year in this country and he circumcision is still pushed and so are varicella vaccines to " protect" the children :)).

I guess we're back to doing what YOU think is best for you and your family.

I'm not in favor of circumcisions either.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And can we get this moved to the political forum?? It really belongs there (and I won't be tempted to reply to every anti-science idiot to post).

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And can we get this moved to the political forum?? It really belongs there (and I won't be tempted to reply to every anti-science idiot to post).

anti science? that's funny. you really haven't been paying attention have you LOL You probably think i got my education from a reader's digest? or Christian Monitor LOL

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not interested. Just pointing to an example of a horrible tragedy to counter your anecdotal account of another tragedy.

you'd think someone so interested in science and against "anti-science" would take more of an interest. Oh well. The info is there if you chose to go looking some day. Or you can stick to meaningless press releases.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anti science? that's funny. you really haven't been paying attention have you LOL You probably think i got my education from a reader's digest? or Christian Monitor LOL

no, probably Jenny McCarthy and Kristin Cavilari :laugh3:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another major difference is a complication from a procedure that has a double death rate over a common wild type disease will strike down and kill a perfectly healthy infant and the common wild type disease won't.

death rate of circumcisions is 1/500,000

about half of infants who get whooping cough earlier than 1 year old will be hospitalized, and 1-2 out of 100 will die.

which is more dangerous?

a whooping cough outbreak in 2010 infected 9,120 and killed 10, all deaths were infants (a study by the Pediatrics Journal linked the outbreaks to areas where large amounts of people refused to vaccinate children)

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the comparison was with varicella not pertussis. A more accurate way of saying it is, with about 60% of the male population being circumcised there are a little over 100 deaths per year from from complications that procedure. A common illness like chicken pox that affects males and females alike, so you have a much larger population size, and historically exposure rates were 80% or greater much more people were "at risk" and yet the death rate was still lower.

So genius, what does that tell you :) BTW, I think a death rate of around 100 is nothing to even consider. Sucks if it's you, don't expect the rest of us to invest billions in dollars and millions of doses every year for something that isn't even a real risk.

and again I"ll tell you that the increases we're seeing pertussis seem to have more to do with waning effectiveness of the vaccine, not from any perceived "anti-vaccine" movement. I guess it doesn't surprise me you don't know enough to know you don't even know LOL. Keeping reading the headlines and think you know something

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the comparison was with varicella not pertussis. A more accurate way of saying it is, with about 60% of the male population being circumcised there are a little over 100 deaths per year from from complications that procedure. A common illness like chicken pox that affects males and females alike, so you have a much larger population size, and historically exposure rates were 80% or greater much more people were "at risk" and yet the death rate was still lower.

So genius, what does that tell you :) BTW, I think a death rate of around 100 is nothing to even consider. Sucks if it's you, don't expect the rest of us to invest billions in dollars and millions of doses every year for something that isn't even a real risk.

and again I"ll tell you that the increases we're seeing pertussis seem to have more to do with waning effectiveness of the vaccine, not from any perceived "anti-vaccine" movement. I guess it doesn't surprise me you don't know enough to know you don't even know LOL. Keeping reading the headlines and think you know something

things you tell me carry no weight.

i'm fine with people not wanting to immunize their children, but for the sake of the rest of the sane country, we should designate some town in Alaska for them to live in, disconnected from the rest of us.

sorry, i side with science and facts, sport, enjoy your daily jenny mccarthy readings

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
things you tell me carry no weight.

i'm fine with people not wanting to immunize their children, but for the sake of the rest of the sane country, we should designate some town in Alaska for them to live in, disconnected from the rest of us.

sorry, i side with science and facts, sport, enjoy your daily jenny mccarthy readings

oh my young child LOL I haven't watched or listened to Jenny McCarthy since she was on MTV in the early 90's. She annoyed me then, she'd probably annoy me now.

Anyway, don't take my word for it.

CDC - Pertussis: Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why are reported cases of pertussis increasing?
A: Since the early 1980s, there has been an overall trend of an increase in reported pertussis cases. Pertussis is naturally cyclic in nature, with peaks in disease every 3-5 years. But for the past 20-30 years, we've seen the peaks getting higher and overall case counts going up. There are several reasons that help explain why we're seeing more cases as of late. These include: increased awareness, improved diagnostic tests, better reporting, more circulation of the bacteria, and waning immunity.
When it comes to waning immunity, it seems that the acellular pertussis vaccine (DTaP) we use now may not protect for as long as the whole cell vaccine (DTP) we used to use. Throughout the 1990s, the US switched from using DTP to using DTaP for infants and children. Whole cell vaccines are associated with higher rates of minor and temporary side effects such as fever and pain and swelling at the injection site. Rare but serious neurologic adverse reactions including chronic neurological problems rarely occurred among children who had recently received whole cell vaccines. While studies have had inconsistent results that the vaccine could cause chronic neurological problems, public concern in the US and other countries led to a concerted effort to develop a vaccine with improved safety. Due to these concerns, along with the availability of a safe and effective acellular vaccine, the US switched to acellular pertussis vaccines.

or this

Q: I've heard about parents refusing to get their children vaccinated and travelers to the U.S. spreading disease; are they to blame for pertussis outbreaks?
A: Even though children who haven't received DTaP vaccines are at least 8 times more likely to get pertussis than children who received all 5 recommended doses of DTaP, they are not the driving force behind the large scale outbreaks or epidemics. However, their parents are putting them at greater risk of getting a serious pertussis infection and then possibly spreading it to other family or community members.
We often see people blaming pertussis outbreaks on people coming to the US from other counties. This is not the case. Pertussis was never eliminated from the US like measles or polio, so there's always the chance for it to get into a community. Plus, every country vaccinates against pertussis.

I think this will probably be my last post on the subject. It's obvious you don't even know that you don't know LOL. It's hard to have any sort of meaningful discussion with someone that has so little background and such obvious bias. I'd give you some primary sources to read, but I'm pretty sure you'd never understand them.

Best to leave the "real science" to those of us that actually do it :) and you can keep reading your headlines and thinking you understand something

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best to leave the "real science" to those of us that actually do it :) and you can keep reading your headlines and thinking you understand something

What "real science" do you do?