• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James Harden was smart for wanting out of Philly

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pat Bev talk is hilarious. You ask a stupid fn question you get what you get. No GM could possible answer that truthfully, nor should they. Things move fast. I’d be tempted to trade a guy just because he was stupid enough to ask that question.

There are better ways to answer that question.

Don’t lie to the player, but you do need to make them feel wanted in case they aren’t traded.

Difficult to do to be sure, but Morey’s way is not right. And it absolutely does backfire.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Philly had to do was honor their under the table agreement

But they knew the nba would cover for them….again

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Philly had to do was honor their under the table agreement

But they knew the nba would cover for them….again
It would have been horrible to commit to what Harden wanted. I don’t care about promises or any of that bull shit. Morey saved them from a disastrous move.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don’t lie to the player, but you do need to make them feel wanted in case they aren’t traded.

Difficult to do to be sure, but Morey’s way is not right. And it absolutely does backfire.
I guess he could have said thats not in the plans but nothing short of a no was going to satisfy the player. These guys all know the score, don’t be an idiot by asking the question and expecting a good answer.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he could have said thats not in the plans but nothing short of a no was going to satisfy the player. These guys all know the score, don’t be an idiot by asking the question and expecting a good answer.

There is nothing wrong with a player asking that question.

What other profession can your employer ship you out of town and force you to uproot your family at a moment’s notice?

Of course the player is going to ask when he hears his name in rumors.

GM has to have a better answer.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What other profession can your employer ship you out of town and force you to uproot your family at a moment’s notice?

Look at your contract is the right answer.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can’t it be both? Morey does not have a good track record but you act like Harden is some model teammate.

I mean we know morey is a slimeball

Betraying the one guy who had your back the whole time is something…

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There were no Pat Bev rumors. The deal came as a surprise to every one. One doesn’t expect a guy on a league minimum to get traded often because of the NBA’s cap structure impact on trades. Morey when put on the spot answers that question the same way every other human being asks that question.

Flat out, the Sixers made a play late with the Bev and Springer moves to get two more seconds to try and pry Andre Drummond away from the Bulls but the Bulls are delusional and kept their team intact to make a play in run with a broken and aging core.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, something more along the lines of "we don't have any plans to trade you/aren't shopping you, but we'll always consider any offer that makes sense no matter who it is" is probably the best he can do.

On the other hand, all players know how it works and that any of them can be traded at any time, so it's kind of dumb of them to even ask. Especially a guy like Pat Bev whose name has likely come up in damn near every trade involving every team he's ever been on.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, something more along the lines of "we don't have any plans to trade you/aren't shopping you, but we'll always consider any offer that makes sense no matter who it is" is probably the best he can do.

On the other hand, all players know how it works and that any of them can be traded at any time, so it's kind of dumb of them to even ask. Especially a guy like Pat Bev whose name has likely come up in damn near every trade involving every team he's ever been on.
In Bevs case, fool me once shame on you, fool me 28 times still shame on you. Guy has made that exact statement so many times now. At somepoint you figure he would just stop asking.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. With the last part.

No harm in asking whatsoever.

Just have to understand that they are never going to flat out tell you “yes”, you are getting traded.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. With the last part.

No harm in asking whatsoever.

Just have to understand that they are never going to flat out tell you “yes”, you are getting traded.

Yeah, I don't necessarily think there's any "harm" in asking. But they all know how it works. Especially a guy like Pat Bev who's been traded multiple times. They know the team can't be completely honest, if for no other reason than stuff comes up out of the blue sometimes that can cause a team to change course.

Not saying Morey was right in how he handled it, he wasn't. Just saying that Pat Bev knows how the game is played and that even if Morey was being completely honest, things come up unexpectedly that change the franchises direction.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't necessarily think there's any "harm" in asking. But they all know how it works. Especially a guy like Pat Bev who's been traded multiple times. They know the team can't be completely honest, if for no other reason than stuff comes up out of the blue sometimes that can cause a team to change course.

Not saying Morey was right in how he handled it, he wasn't. Just saying that Pat Bev knows how the game is played and that even if Morey was being completely honest, things come up unexpectedly that change the franchises direction.

Of course.

But I am pushing back on the idea that you and @thunderc both said it is a stupid question.

It is a legit question.

Bev knows he can’t expect any type of guarantee.

But that seems exactly what Morey did anyway.

And that is BS.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course.

But I am pushing back on the idea that you and @thunderc both said it is a stupid question.

It is a legit question.

And that is BS.

And Bev is not a good guy to piss off. His antics can be ridiculous but players like and respect him.

You go back on your word for Cam Payne? Really? Not a good look

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Bev is not a good guy to piss off. His antics can be ridiculous but players like and respect him.

You go back on your word for Cam Payne? Really? Not a good look

Harden not a good guy to piss off either.

But for different reasons.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it Bev had been part of a trade to get an impact guy he'd understand

but to be traded for that dude is a blow to your ego if the deal was struck he wouldn't get moved

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course.

It is a legit question.

And that is BS.
I don’t know the timing but if the deal wasn’t done yet he can’t tell a guy like Pat Bev and let him derail it.