• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ivy League Football

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every season, the Ivy League Champion qualifies for the FCS Playoffs. Every season, the Ivy League turns it down.

Do you agree with the Ivy League doing this? Do you think the Ivy League wants to be seen as FBS level again? Do you think the Ivy League just seems interested in existing in its own realm for football?

What would you do if you were in charge of the Ivy League when it comes to football?

By the way, IL teams still play a 10 game schedule overall which is 7 conference and 3 non-conference and usually don't start their season until about mid-September.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last season Dartmouth won but outside the conference games were all FCS opponents who were horrible.
Yale tied but lost the head to head
Yale's non conference games were not world beaters either
Princeton was the 3rd place and only other team with a winning record in the conference and their non conference was garbage too.

not saying they coulndt hold their own but they arent exactly challenging themselves to prove it

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ivy League is for academics. Not football factories.

Small schools, small student bodies, lower state and federal funding, large endowments.

NCAA College Football FCS Standings | NCAA.com

A young person that attends an Ivy League school has a greater chance of doing something great for humanity or America than ANY young man that plays at a football factory. Do you think a football player that attends Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, or Oklahoma will find a vaccine for Covid19 or a football player that attends the Ivy League?

The Ivy League should remain as is.

Ivy League research dollars

Pennsylvania 1,375,000,000
Harvard 1,125,000,000
Cornell 985,000,000
Yale 951,000,000
Columbia 893,000,000
Princeton 326.000,000
Dartmouth 308,500,000
Brown 212,300,000

If my offspring could get into Pennsylvania, Harvard, Cornell, Yale, or Columbia for grad school, I would be ecstatic.

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not saying they coulndt hold their own but they arent exactly challenging themselves to prove it

I think they usually prefer Patriot League opponents or at least opponents who don't do athletic scholarships.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ivy League schools have not been competitive in FCS football for 40 years and that is not going to change. Football is secondary even for football players at an Ivy. That is not to say they are not competitive with each other, and winning is not as important as it ever was, but it is a part-time pursuit.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every season, the Ivy League Champion qualifies for the FCS Playoffs. Every season, the Ivy League turns it down.

Do you agree with the Ivy League doing this? No. But it's not my call.
Do you think the Ivy League wants to be seen as FBS level again? No.
Do you think the Ivy League just seems interested in existing in its own realm for football? Yes, for the most part. But I think a few of the programs are trying to challenge themselves by scheduling tougher opposition.

What would you do if you were in charge of the Ivy League when it comes to football? If I could get the school administrators & ADs on board, I would try to bring the Ivies into the present by doing the following:
a) Establish a bowl game that would pit the Ivy champ against a team from the NEC, Patriot, or Pioneer League;
b) After a couple of years, make the league champion eligible for the playoffs again, and send the runner-up to the bowl game.

By the way, IL teams still play a 10 game schedule overall which is 7 conference and 3 non-conference and usually don't start their season until about mid-September. That's a good thing. Gives the players time to get acclimated to the class room before they start playing football.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a) Establish a bowl game that would pit the Ivy champ against a team from the NEC, Patriot, or Pioneer League;

Since the MEAC and SWAC also do not participate in the playoff and have their own bowl maybe the Ivy could do a bowl against the next highest ranked or best record runner up or something from these 2.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the MEAC and SWAC also do not participate in the playoff and have their own bowl maybe the Ivy could do a bowl against the next highest ranked or best record runner up or something from these 2.
The PFL (non-scholarship FCS) didn't Playoff for a long time either, but they now do. So, the Ivy needs to come join the party!

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one would love to see some Harvard kids get boat raced by NDSU.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could see them possibly including the MEAC's runner-up as a foe, but the SWAC is a terrible conference. So is the Patriot League, for the most part, but at least they are in the same basic footprint as the Ivy.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them possibly including the MEAC's runner-up as a foe, but the SWAC is a terrible conference. So is the Patriot League, for the most part, but at least they are in the same basic footprint as the Ivy.
would have been MEAC 9-3 N Carolina A&T
seems like some years there would be a good choice from one or the other but in some years both had garbage runners up

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would have been MEAC 9-3 N Carolina A&T
seems like some years there would be a good choice from one or the other but in some years both had garbage runners up

The 2019 Aggies were MEAC Champions and went to the Celebration Bowl which they won. FAMU was 1st in the standings, but were banned from postseason play. The next team up would have been SC State.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2019 Aggies were MEAC Champions and went to the Celebration Bowl which they won. FAMU was 1st in the standings, but were banned from postseason play. The next team up would have been SC State.
My bad

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The mEAC is pitiful also. The only thing that has saved them is NC AT the last two years...and this year
was iffy for A&T. The only HBCU that is competitive year in and year out among FCS schools is Tenn St.
That's because they bolted from the HBCU conferences and found a home in the Ohio Valley.

The MEAC and SWAC schools would do a better job if they followed the lead of their baseball programs
and recruited more white kids to play for them. By the time the Black players are done with Div 1 and the
other 1-AA schools, where the facilities do not resemble Rutgers circa 1869, the choices are very, very slim.

They could find better white platers than many of the Blacks that compete for them now.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think the Ivy League just seems interested in existing in its own realm for football?

I think it’s this. Ivy League football seems like a novelty that they keep around for historical reasons (and to get filthy rich donors to campus to wine and dine).

They have no illusions of being able to compete in the FBS. They don’t offer athletic scholarships.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you agree with the Ivy League doing this? Do you think the Ivy League wants to be seen as FBS level again? Do you think the Ivy League just seems interested in existing in its own realm for football?

What would you do if you were in charge of the Ivy League when it comes to football?

By the way, IL teams still play a 10 game schedule overall which is 7 conference and 3 non-conference and usually don't start their season until about mid-September.

Times have changed, and I think the Ivy League is content to just play their football games on their schedules and then forget about the rest.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mEAC is pitiful also. The only thing that has saved them is NC AT the last two years...and this year
was iffy for A&T. The only HBCU that is competitive year in and year out among FCS schools is Tenn St.
That's because they bolted from the HBCU conferences and found a home in the Ohio Valley.

The MEAC and SWAC schools would do a better job if they followed the lead of their baseball programs
and recruited more white kids to play for them. By the time the Black players are done with Div 1 and the
other 1-AA schools, where the facilities do not resemble Rutgers circa 1869, the choices are very, very slim.

They could find better white platers than many of the Blacks that compete for them now.

Actually, Tennessee St. is not any more competitive than the other HBCU's. At least, not in recent years. FAMU used to be - years ago - but they are not any longer. NC A&T and one of the Virginia schools are usually way better than the rest, but still prone to an upset or two at the hands of the lesser schools.