• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I've seen enough of Walker and Paxton

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems to have taken well to the mechanical changes he's been working on with Stottlemyre so far. Of course, it's a lot easier to stick with it when you get the results he got tonight, but he very well could have let himself get frustrated by what happened early in his last start and started falling back into old habits. The more success he has with this new approach early on, the less likely he is to fall back on old, bad habits later.

I also think it was very important that Servais let him go out there after he lost the no-hitter to finish the game. His confidence level with his new approach would have gone up even if he'd only gone 7 innings, but nothing says "confidence booster" like letting a young pitcher finish a game in which he's pitched lights out. Of course, Servais' decision to let him finish it was made much easier by having 8 runs to work with, but Walker deserved to the finish it either way.

The bonus for the M's is that the bullpen got a full night off. Not that I think they'll need to use the pen much in game 3 with Kuma on the mound, but any time you can give your bullpen an extra, full night off down the stretch, it helps. They were already going to get Thursday off at home, so they got a bonus day's rest.
He has made changes/fixes before, a handful of times throughout his career with mixed results. When his mechanics are dialed in he has the ability to dominate when he starts getting his timing and motion out of whack he struggles big time.

I love that Servais let him go out there to finish it. He pitched a great game, it was fun to watch and see just how good he can be when his mechanics are in line and his mental state doesn't get in the way.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping the game was a turning point in his career, but not holding my breath.

I was expecting a meltdown after the error by Marte, and it didn't happen. That was great. He's folded many, many times over smaller issues. Maybe he's figuring out to focus on that which he can control instead of everything else.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been playing catch-up on here, but has anyone mentioned/or thought that Walker looks like he is carrying baby fat around still? He is thick and I get that, but man on my TV he looks pudgy at 24. I have been 245 and fat and 225 and solid and I don't care what age you are solid beats fat every time. With that said, his last game he looked interested. I see some of his games and he just looks like he is just waiting to get lifted from pitch one. I think his problem is conditioning and attitude. I think he tries, but just hasn't developed that killer instinct that pushes a guy to the next level. I hope he gets it like Felix did back in the day.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he looks like he's put on weight over the last year.

no idea if it's intentional.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been playing catch-up on here, but has anyone mentioned/or thought that Walker looks like he is carrying baby fat around still? He is thick and I get that, but man on my TV he looks pudgy at 24. I have been 245 and fat and 225 and solid and I don't care what age you are solid beats fat every time. With that said, his last game he looked interested. I see some of his games and he just looks like he is just waiting to get lifted from pitch one. I think his problem is conditioning and attitude. I think he tries, but just hasn't developed that killer instinct that pushes a guy to the next level. I hope he gets it like Felix did back in the day.

Walker is definitely heavier this year. So is Felix. Walker's weight looks like it might be at least partially muscle. Felix' extra weight looks like it is all fat.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He definitely looks like he's been a regular at Krispy Kreme