• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

IUPATI THE ODD MAN OUT

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know what Looney can do yet.

It took many a year to find a guard as good as Iupati.

It is much easier to cover for deficiencies at LG then it is at WR

We have had good enough Guards far more recently then we have had good enough WR

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is much easier to cover for deficiencies at LG then it is at WR

We have had good enough Guards far more recently then we have had good enough WR
Im not even sure what this means.

The problem is that 49ers line has a good core. It can cover for a weak link. The 49ers WR core is Crabtree. Patton or whatever draft pick would have much bigger shoes to fill replacing Crab then Looney or whatever draft pick would have to replace Iupati

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they do. He'll make less than Crabtree. They just probably can't afford both.

And Iupati >>>>>>> Crabtree. In fact, Patton may be able to replace Crabtree's production pretty well; nobody's going to come close to replacing Iupati's.

I understand that is your opinion, I just don't agree.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
New England paid top dollar for Logan Mankins.

Notice how they haven't exactly devoted big bucks to WRs lately.

NE has Tom Brady. Kind of silly to criticize Kap and then turn around and suggest we follow the Pats' model when building an offense.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Homie you may want to check your fact...

NFL Stats: Team

Pretty sure he's talking about in the Hawks game. Gore had seven carries for twelve yards (seven of that on a single run) prior to Iupati's injury. He was worse after Iupati went down, but Gore also got hurt. And Hunter went three for sixteen after we lost Iupati. Saying the injury to Iupati is the reason our offense scored is myopic at best. Not to mention we were in FG range at the end of the game and could have equaled the 10 points we scored with Iupati if that was our goal.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
NE has Tom Brady. Kind of silly to criticize Kap and then turn around and suggest we follow the Pats' model when building an offense.

I'm saying the Niners should follow the Pats' model of building talent AROUND the QB. The talent around the QB is going to be what it is regardless of who's pulling the trigger.

A great OL > a great receiving corps any day.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the team going to cover for deficient WR play? I'd like to hear that one.
Thats what I am saying.

By running the ball. I believe in the year 2006 Gore had his best season and nobody on that line is worth remembering.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying the Niners should follow the Pats' model of building talent AROUND the QB. The talent around the QB is going to be what it is regardless of who's pulling the trigger.

A great OL > a great receiving corps any day.

The line will still be solid without Iupati. The WR core without Crabtree seems bleak.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What happens when Iupati has a higher paying contract than Staley, who has outplayed his contract by a fair margin? Staley would immediately be in line for another extension.

LTs >>>>LGs

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Allen???
mmm... ya got me. But was the talent around Allen equal to the talent around Iupati? Allen was well past his prime, it was basically 4 scrubs and an old Larry Allen.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mid season like after the Green Bay game? And yes there is plenty of doubt about him being a franchise QB.

Huge bucks? I'm talking about who's deserving of a contact; which is what we are talking about referring to the guys you listed who "all warrant one" (contract) over Iupati.

He struggled in the two games after the GB game and then maybe 3 more games around midseason. Remember, this was his first full season as starter. I'd say overall he progressed just fine along the learning curve. Judging by his overall stats.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea and how have they fared with a bunch 5-10 slot receivers? Think those boys would've done anything against the Seahawks or any team for that matter in the Super Bowl?...You can replace a G much easier than you can a good WR which is what Crab is.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats what I am saying.

By running the ball. I believe in the year 2006 Gore had his best season and nobody on that line is worth remembering.

Pro Bowl LG Larry Allen.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Thats what I am saying.

That OL was pathetic in pass protection, but:

Jonas Jennings, Larry Allen, Eric Heitman, Justin Smiley & Kwame Harris was a damn good run-blocking unit. Even Kwame could run-block, and Jennings & Allen were studs in the running game. Smiley was meh.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yea and how have they fared with a bunch 5-10 slot receivers?

They've consistently been one of the best teams in the NFL for about a decade. That's a silly question.

Their problems were on defense this year. They lost Wilfork, Brandon Spikes, Jerod Mayo, Aqib Talib & who-knows-else to injury.

Iupati & Patton + 2 million or so >>>> Looney & Crabby.

Teams end up being stuck with WRs who are under-performing their contracts WAY more often than with guards.

Last edited by a moderator:

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've consistently been one of the best teams in the NFL for about a decade. That's a silly question.

Their problems were on defense this year. They lost Wilfork, Brandon Spikes, Jerod Mayo, Aqib Talib & who-knows-else to injury.

Iupati & Patton + 2 million or so >>>> Looney & Crabby.

I am not talking about the last decade, I am talking the last couple years or so as it pertains to New England WRs. They have not replaced Randy Moss to this day still. They completely lack a vertical threat. So yes, in addition to defense, their problems have also been a lack of talent at WR (Edelman and Amendola are slot receivers)....And please, how do you put Patton above Crabtree? That is just idiotic...Patton is fairly unproven still, Crabtree when healthy is pretty good...As for Iupati, I want him back at the right price of course. But considering we have bigger priorities for extensions at QB, OLB, and WR, I don't see it happening. Sorry, we can just agree to disagree...PS: Oh and we still have to re-sign Boldin, Whitner, and Dawson.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That OL was pathetic in pass protection, but:

Jonas Jennings, Larry Allen, Eric Heitman, Justin Smiley & Kwame Harris was a damn good run-blocking unit. Even Kwame could run-block, and Jennings & Allen were studs in the running game. Smiley was meh.
Didnt seem as good in 2007 with a Joe Staley upgrade at RT.