• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's worth its own thread: Brees' Neck

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
brees.gif

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks real funny, almost like a cartoon.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame that drew a flag. Brees is just a small guy and he got trucked by a bigger dude.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody seeing this would ever let their kid play QB.

Also, BS call didnt make most of the highlights when referencing this game

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn you know watching it at this speed I think Brooks shoulder pad does go right into Brees neck. You can't see where Brees lost the ball though. Did he lose it on initial contact of the arm to his chest and shoulder or when the shoulder hit him up high? I'm pretty sure if the foul occurred after the fumble we would have still go the ball.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Looney Tunes.

I thought the same. The eyes bulging out as he anticipates getting hit, and then a stretching bungee sound effect when his body gets hit but his head stays in the same place.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good God what a hit. I saw this thread on the main and to be honest, his foream hit the shoulderpad, BUT his bicep clobbered Brees' neck. I thought it was the right call but I could understand the frustration. I thought Corey White was down by contact on that interception as well.....but let's be honest, many things determined this game, but what finally determined this game was when Frank Gore dropped that wide open pass....there was nothing but paydirt in front of him

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good God what a hit. I saw this thread on the main and to be honest, his foream hit the shoulderpad, BUT his bicep clobbered Brees' neck. I thought it was the right call but I could understand the frustration. I thought Corey White was down by contact on that interception as well.....but let's be honest, many things determined this game, but what finally determined this game was when Frank Gore dropped that wide open pass....there was nothing but paydirt in front of him

it was a clean hit. brooks didn't hit his helmet or brees might not have a head.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a dumb rule and watching it there you can see it is across the chest. His head goes forward to make it look like his arm is around his neck.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The initial contact is right below his neck but the stupid ref was behind and probably didn't see it and decided to throw the flag based off how it looked.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this in the other thread, but thought I would re-post here. Not trying to troll, just my thoughts on the hit and others like it.

I am not here to pile on, and I disagree with my fellow Hawk fan boogie. Here is the rule:

"In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders
impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of
the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary-roughness
rules covering these subjects)."

His Bicep and shoulder pad hit the QB in the neck area which caused the QB to drop the ball. The ref felt the location and force was justifiable in throwing the flag, so he did. I know we all grew up with seeing the hard hits, but this concussion and player safety stuff is very real and very concerning for the league considering the large salaries that go to QBs and large revenue which is lost if a QB is done for the season; see the Rams home crowd for proof. Also, they are protecting themselves against future lawsuits from players, so the ex-players, the player's union and the current players who agreed to the rule changes are to blame. If that was RW getting hit like that, you bet I would be pissed, and if the penalty went against the Hawks, I would also be upset, but the rules are the rules.

The one thing I will agree with here is the consistency, or lack thereof, in calling the roughing or unsportsmanlike penalties.

I think Joe Theisman might have something to say about player safety, and we take the hit below the knees of the QB rule for granted now, so I imagine in a year or so, we will all be fine and they will refine the rules a little and be more clear about when they are calling it or not.

Tough loss, but as the Steelers fans told us for years after SB XL, there were plenty of other plays we could have made to win the game and overcome some bad calls which happen. And they are right. I am not happy about the calls, but the Hawks could have done some things better to overcome it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hit was still on the upper shoulder area and NOT his neck… This was a clean hit

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The initial contact is right below his neck but the stupid ref was behind and probably didn't see it and decided to throw the flag based off how it looked.

Agreed… The impact was absolutely in the upper shoulder area… I guess from now on you just gotta make it obvious and hit right at the waist every-time you sack a qb… It's tough though when your spinning around a blocker and maybe falling into a qb .. qb's roll out … duck… spin… I mean common