• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's official -Big men hate dumbtoni

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He ran Dwight off, and now he is running off Gasol and Kaman. Straight from Pau's mouth - what we all knew already:

Gasol also reiterated his philosophical differences with coach Mike D’Antoni. Gasol prefers to play a post-oriented offense at a methodical pace, while D’Antoni has wanted to feature Gasol more in pick-and-roll situations and as a facilitator in a faster-paced offense.
“I’ve never concealed the fact that D’Antoni’s style doesn’t suit my game,” Gasol wrote. “Everybody knows this. I don’t know if my decision will be swayed by whether Mike stays or leaves. Obviously, the coach is a very important factor for any team.” [...]

Pau got us 18/10/4/2 and is willing to take less money - but he's not willing to play for this clown.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm kinda on the fence with this. i kinda agree with TF12 when he says the man really didn't get a chance with all these injuries, but when guys are saying things like this it kinda tells me that where there's smoke, there's fire. guess we'll have to see how this crap shakes out...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm kinda on the fence with this. i kinda agree with TF12 when he says the man really didn't get a chance with all these injuries, but when guys are saying things like this it kinda tells me that where there's smoke, there's fire. guess we'll have to see how this crap shakes out...

Hizzle read waaaay too much into that quote. Essentially Gasol said what everyone (including D'Antoni) have said, which was that Pau and D'Antoni had their differences. However, Pau has also said that he and D'Antoni worked things out.

Pau and D'Antoni managed to find some common ground as Pau found his place in the offense and D'Antoni made some adjustments to his system. Once that happened, Pau returned to the 20/10 Pau that we know and love.

People also forget that part of the issue last year was Dwight. Pau prefers to play closer to the basket most of the time, but can be effective away from the basket as well. Dwight can't be more than 5 ft. from the basket or he is utterly useless on offense.

For Pau to remain a Laker, I believe that three things must happen:

1.) They must convince Pau that he can contend for a title as a Laker.
2.) Pau and D'Antoni must continue to work together on his role in the offense.
3.) While money isn't the most important factor, Pau ain't gonna play for free. So, while it seems likely that Pau would take a little less to remain a Laker if the first 2 criteria can be worked out, it will be a question of how much less.

As much as I love Pau, it may also be in the Lakers best interest to let him walk and try to get a defense first type center who doesn't need plays run for him.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Mike Don'tknowi just lost his brother to another job. Dan Don'tknowi was an assistant for the Lakers this past year who took an HC job offered by Marshall who hired Dan Don'tknowi for next year. Is this an indication of things to come? We shall see.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hizzle read waaaay too much into that quote. Essentially Gasol said what everyone (including D'Antoni) have said, which was that Pau and D'Antoni had their differences. However, Pau has also said that he and D'Antoni worked things out.

Pau and D'Antoni managed to find some common ground as Pau found his place in the offense and D'Antoni made some adjustments to his system. Once that happened, Pau returned to the 20/10 Pau that we know and love.

People also forget that part of the issue last year was Dwight. Pau prefers to play closer to the basket most of the time, but can be effective away from the basket as well. Dwight can't be more than 5 ft. from the basket or he is utterly useless on offense.

For Pau to remain a Laker, I believe that three things must happen:

1.) They must convince Pau that he can contend for a title as a Laker.
2.) Pau and D'Antoni must continue to work together on his role in the offense.
3.) While money isn't the most important factor, Pau ain't gonna play for free. So, while it seems likely that Pau would take a little less to remain a Laker if the first 2 criteria can be worked out, it will be a question of how much less.

As much as I love Pau, it may also be in the Lakers best interest to let him walk and try to get a defense first type center who doesn't need plays run for him.

I’ve never concealed the fact that D’Antoni’s style doesn’t suit my game,” Gasol wrote. “Everybody knows this. I don’t know if my decision will be swayed by whether Mike stays or leaves. Obviously, the coach is a very important factor for any team.

That is far from a ringing endorsement. Pau is trying to stay classy as usual - but he is saying, without outright saying, that he won't play for him.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say just what I said last year, except with different names......for the good of the each individual, if Pau stays, Dantoni has to go.....if Dantoni stays, Pau has to go

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pau's looking for a fairly long term deal if I correctly remember his recent blog. That's something I don't see the Lakers wanting to give him. The best case scenario in my opinion is to S&T him and get something back.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have looked this up before I posted.

“Money isn’t important to me,” Gasol wrote. “I have other priorities. A contract lasting several seasons, the make-up of the team that signs me: I’ll need to think long and hard. I won’t just go to the franchise that offers me the biggest salary, I know that.”

I don't think that fits with the Lakers plans.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with those who believe the Lakers should emphasize Defense. D'Antoni shouldn't last more than one more season, so there is hope that the Lakers will play defense again once he slides out of town.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve never concealed the fact that D’Antoni’s style doesn’t suit my game,” Gasol wrote. “Everybody knows this. I don’t know if my decision will be swayed by whether Mike stays or leaves. Obviously, the coach is a very important factor for any team.

That is far from a ringing endorsement. Pau is trying to stay classy as usual - but he is saying, without outright saying, that he won't play for him.

So now you're in Pau's head and know what he really thinks? Cool, maybe you can tell us what his problem was in Phil's last year.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of big men. Andrew Bynum left the Pacers. The feeling was mutual. He played in just two regular season games and accumulated 36 minutes, scoring 23 points and pulling down 19 rebounds. He was released and will not obviously play the rest of the playoffs. I think by now the NBA is getting that this dude has been playing them for weed money. Stone cold waste of 7-feet.

But hey, you never know. Perhaps some other NBA GM fool will bring this guy in for another cool mill and get the exact same results Bynum has been giving every NBA team he has ever preyed upon. Dumb bastards!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of big men. Andrew Bynum left the Pacers. The feeling was mutual. He played in just two regular season games and accumulated 36 minutes, scoring 23 points and pulling down 19 rebounds. He was released and will not obviously play the rest of the playoffs. I think by now the NBA is getting that this dude has been playing them for weed money. Stone cold waste of 7-feet.

But hey, you never know. Perhaps some other NBA GM fool will bring this guy in for another cool mill and get the exact same results Bynum has been giving every NBA team he has ever preyed upon. Dumb bastards!

People can bitch about Dwight Howard all they want but Bynum is proof that LA came out ok in the deal regardless of Howard being in Houston right now. If we couldn't have traded for Howard, the rumblings were we likely would have given a fat contract to Bynum, which would have been a disaster.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question about it - Gasol and D'antoni do not belong on the same team. D'antoni is best suited for a young team like the Warriors that wants to run. I am glad that the guy is gone, but I am not so sure about bringing Gasol back, considering his age, decline and injuries and I think the Lakers could get better for less money

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you may be right TLF. You know this loyalty thing going around pro sports these days is all fine and good to a point. As the Phillies have proven, throwing money at aging vets just to say thank-you and signing them to extensive years to do so does have detrimental effects and has cost them dearly. The same now may be true for the Lakers.

Granted Kobe's extension is only for two years but short buss might have overpaid just a tad and in so doing hamstrung the Lakers a bit for this coming season. Gasol, the same. If they re-sign him because as Charles Barkely stated recently, both players are old and not getting any younger and the bottom line in pro sports is that it remains a young man's game.

Also, it was a nice gesture to do what the lakers and the Phillies did, but it has to be tempered somewhat with reality and in both cases as well as re-signing Gasol, the effects can hurt more than help in the long-term.