• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's good to be a Bengals fan?

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's not easy being a Bengals fan. For 20+ years, we've been the laughingstock of not only the football world, but the sporting world in general. Losing has beget losing, and it has become a badge of honor to still be a fan. Even the few good seasons leave us with guarded optimism at best for the next season. In 2005, we made the playoffs, but proceeded to lose right away, after losing Carson Palmer to a serious knee injury, so going into 2006, I was concerned, not excited. In 2009, we swept the division and made the playoffs again, but again went one and out, and going into 2010 with a 1st place schedule, and few changes, I was wary of repeating.
Fast forward to this offseason. We drafted the guy who I felt was the best player in the draft with our first pick, and a QB with our second pick. Andy Dalton has been better than almost anybody thought, and has been the best pure QB in the draft, while AJ Green has a whole highlight reel worth of catches in 9 games, and might already be a top 10 WR. In one draft, we drafted the guy who should start at QB for the next 10 years, barring injury, and potential top 5 receiver. When was the last time a team got that in one draft? Now, 9 games into the season, we're in a virtual 3-way tie for first in the AFC North, and have exceeded every expectation, and the future actually looks bright. Consider these sources of my giddiness:
Dalton and Green look like a top combo for years to come.
Whitworth is a top T and Andre Smith is starting to look like the guy we wanted when we took him.
Dunlap is proving that year one wasn't a fluke, and Michael Johnson has made a leap that I didn't know if he was capable of making.
Peko and Atkins are a top DT duo, with Atkins looking like a guy who will make some pro bowls. He's blowing up pockets on a regular basis, and creating as much havoc as any DT in the league.
The D-line rotation is getting consistent pressure and staying fresh with 8 guys contributing.
Rey Mauluga has made a solid transition to MLB, and Thomas Howard might be our best FA acquisition in years.
Our special teams is actually a threat, with Tate getting some good returns and Nugent being money.
We have some holes, notably at RB, S, and G, but we have two 1st round draft picks next year, and a chance to address them.
Now, we've got half a season to play, and could very well wind up 8-8 with a tough schedule the rest of the way, but that's not the point. We're playing well, and playing well with youth and excitement. We're playing like a team that believes it should win every week. And we're playing like a team that has a very nice future. For the first time in over 20 years, I find myself excited for next season and beyond. For the first time in 20 years, I find myself actually expecting to make the playoffs consistently in the next few years. And for the first time in 20 years, I find myself banking on getting some playoff tickets soon. Can I get a WHO DEY!?

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't think of a thing to add to a fine post.....

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...thats what i'm talking about right there!!! Good deal Vance...thats how a fan tells it how it is!! Instead of all this who know's more than the other guy shit! WHO DEY WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!! I'm so proud to be a Bengals fan and alway's will be guys!!
cheers.gif

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
People will call me an ass for this (don't care), but I didn't even read the post.

This is circa 2003-2005 all over again.

Do yourself a favor and temper your expectations.

That is all.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do us a favor and suck it. That is all. Don't comment if you didn't read it.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I didn't have to looked passed the title to make the very valid comment I made.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People will call me an ass for this (don't care), but I didn't even read the post.

That is all.

Who care's what you think flamin...sounds by the way you talk..your flame is about out for any team to cheer on! You guys fuck some "temper" cheer this team on all ya want!!!! WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!:clap2:

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, if you bothered to read it (sorry I didn't make it short enough for you) then you'd see that I specifically said that in 2005 and 2009 I was guardedly optimistic because of circumstance, because we didn't add anything significant and were relying on the same players against a harder schedule. I said I was optimistic now because we made moves to actually better the team for the long term. If you didn't read it, you're opinion means 0. You were right though, you are an asshole.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Who care's what you think flamin...sounds by the way you talk..your flame is about out for any team to cheer on! You guys fuck some "temper" cheer this team on all ya want!!!! WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!:clap2:

Yet, here you are responding to me. And try English next time. Just sayin'.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another hijacked thread for Flaming. He's leading the league.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No, if you bothered to read it (sorry I didn't make it short enough for you) then you'd see that I specifically said that in 2005 and 2009 I was guardedly optimistic because of circumstance, because we didn't add anything significant and were relying on the same players against a harder schedule. I said I was optimistic now because we made moves to actually better the team for the long term. If you didn't read it, you're opinion means 0. You were right though, you are an asshole.

And the only thing I said was I'd advise to continue with that guarded optimism (see I didn't even need to read it to have a valid response).

Not sure what the issue is, it's not like I disagreed with anything you said. Had I left out the line about not reading it, you would've had no problem with my comment. So, really? You're going to cry over the fact that I made a valid observation on your general point without reading all of the fine print? Yikes!

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You could also just not comment on things you have no intention of reading. Why bother opening the thread?

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could also just not comment on things you have no intention of reading. Why bother opening the thread?

He's just another smartass like kramer,never has a nice thing to say about anything or too anyone.They get off on that shit i guess...:noidea:

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all the nfc north teams should continue with guarded optimism. we just lost a close game, it happens. nothing is guaranteed.

but, to each his own. if you are strong enough to get your heart broken, then put your chips on the table and be emotionally invested. if not, then take breaks during the game for snacks, or to engage your kids in some learning opportunities like I did Sunday, while watching the game. Just enough of a distraction that I didn't throw the remote at the t.v.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all the nfc north teams should continue with guarded optimism. we just lost a close game, it happens. nothing is guaranteed.

but, to each his own. if you are strong enough to get your heart broken, then put your chips on the table and be emotionally invested. if not, then take breaks during the game for snacks, or to engage your kids in some learning opportunities like I did Sunday, while watching the game. Just enough of a distraction that I didn't throw the remote at the t.v.

Thats what make's sport's so much fun,you get emotionally invested in the game and your team.But your right...gotta watch the temper!
smash.gif

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the whole "no expectations" thing.....we're playing with house money.....might as well go all in every pot the rest of the way.......

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is all.

Killjoy......:fencing:

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's not 2003-05 over again. Yeah, that team was talented (and worth getting excited over IMO) but we all knew that was a finesse team through and through. the D was soft and rarely was able to generate any pressue on the QB. They got pushed around (on D...the O-line was great). Furthermore the vibe with that team was differnet. They seemed so pleased withh themselves at times...kinda too big for their britches when they really hadnt proved anything.

I'd say that tHis team is far more physical than the 03-05. This team seems to have a different and more humble overall mentality. More character I'd say...the young QB's couldnt be more different in their approach and personality. 05 was exciting too, but we really got burned by trying to build with the wrong type of guys. Time will tell, but it seems to me that we got the right kind of guys this time around. Plus, we have I think 7 picks in the first four rounds next year (two in the first) to continue to build with. So yeah, I'm optimistic and agree with Vance...It's a really fun time to be a bengals fan. I mean, honestly, how could you not be excited about this team and the future if you're a Bengals fan?